Used 2006 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my Civic
By Kristy Torpin

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I owned my 06 civic for two years. Driving in between the valley and la everyday. Only repairs that I had to make was replacing the starter. Other than that the car ran great! It doesn't have too much get up and go on the freeway. But it got me around great. I loved it!

Suggested Improvements

Blind spots in the front. Emergency break in weird spot for drivers that have long legs.

My first and last Honda
By phillipotto

2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

We bought this car on the recommendations of several friends who have owned Honda's in the past. I had previously owned Fords and Dodge's. We have had nothing but troubles with this car. 3 sets of rear tires worn on the inside in 72k miles. When I took it to the dealer under warranty, after wearing the first set out in 17k miles, I asked to have the car put on the alignment rack and have the rear camber checked. The Joliet Honda Service manager was arrogant and said that we must have overloaded the car and that the camber was within spec's. When the second set wore out they refused to even address the problem. There was a recall for the camber plates and was told that it wasn't a safety prob

Favorite Features

lem so no letters were sent. Also we had to replace the AC Pump at 80k, Starter at 118K, the list goes on. I like nothing about this car and will never buy another Honda product.

Suggested Improvements

There is no fixing a broken customer so I will return to my Fords. Good bye Honda!

My Two Cents
By gkh3

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Civic LX coupe new in July 2006. After nearly 9 years and 85,000 miles this car has been just about problem free... averaging over 30 mpg consistently. Yes, the ride is bouncy and yes it can be loud but I knew that going in. If you want super quiet and cushy... get a Cadillac. My only regret is not getting the ex version.

Favorite Features

Love the paint color: Atomic Blue. Seating position perfect for me. Consistently great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Not a super fan of the digital speedo... but have gotten used to is. B-Pillars create massive blind spots... be careful backing up. Paint became worn right above rear window... repainted for free (class action lawsuit). Rearview mirrors not hinged and I have taken the drivers side one out twice. Drivers side visor fell apart... replaced (free: another class action lawsuit)... now the other one is going which I am now going to have to pay for to fix... grrrr.

Bitter sweet
By msalp80

2006 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2006 Civic brand new. There were a few issues within the 1st 26000 miles. The battery and the engine had to be replaced right at 26k. I've read that this was a common problem with this model. The car was still under warranty during that time, so it wasn't a big deal. Then at around 80k miles or so my CD player went out. My warranty was up, so I opted not to get it fixed and just used my AUX input, to listen to my MP3. Other than that I hadn't had any mechanical problems until now, besides regular maintenance and my civic has 268k miles. I think she's about ready to quit on me. I haven't had it diagnosed yet but I think I'm going to retire her and get an Accord. $17k well spent.

Favorite Features

Updated digital dashboard, technologically savvy interior design. futuristic body style, AUX jack, gas mileage, low maintenance, lifetime oil changes after trade-in of older model.

Suggested Improvements

Make sun visors more durable. They were replaced twice and now they're both broken again. Better quality CD player because it should not have gone out so soon. Also, the paint fades horribly on the fenders and hood. It aged my car dramatically before it's time.

Fun reliable car with minor fixable issues
By nunoa

2006 Honda Civic Si 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned this car from 40k to its current 80k mileage. It is fun to drive, especially above 5k rpm, and has been very reliable. The major maintenance I've done is replacing the battery (~40k miles), brakes (~65k), and tires. There was an issue with the engine running roughly when warming up in the winter, but an ECU update for ~$40 fixed that issue. A common problem with 3rd gear was entirely fixed by replacing the manual transmission fluid with Amsoil at ~50k miles. The upper rear control arms have some excessive negative camber (around -2*) and this has caused increased tire wear on the rears, but rotation would fix that problem.

Favorite Features

Shifter and clutch feel--some of the best I've found in a car. General reliability. Exhaust/engine sound. Highway mileage is pretty good at ~32 mpg in the summer, but gets ~100 miles less range than my previous 2006 Civic EX.

Suggested Improvements

Sightlines are partially obscured by the chunky pillars on either side of the windshield and require extra caution while driving near pedestrians. Replace upper rear camber arms to decrease the negative camber. More torque at lower rpms. The rear quarter panels are starting to rust. While not unexpected after 8 years in the northeast, I thought Honda had this problem area figured out as it has been going on since at least the 1992 Preludes.