Honda Reliability? Don't think so.
By jebedmund on
2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)
After recently dealing with the dreaded "blown head gasket" @ 105k miles, I'm stopping by Edmunds to read other's experiences. I can't believe how many people have had a blown head gasket on low mileage Civics. This is my second major complaint with the car ... the first being the air fuel sensor giving out a couple of years ago and the $400+ dealer quote on the repair. Honda should have covered both of these problems with recalls. Note to Honda marketing: *We WON'T be buying another Honda*.
Favorite Features
This is the Mrs's daily driver ... a black EX with automatic and she had red leather seats installed when new. Prior to the recent heartache we've been happy with the car ... only needing to change the oil and buy a set of tires. The automatic shifts as smooth as any I've ever driven although I'd like to try the 5 speed auto in the newer cars. Decent gas mileage ... we get around 30 in local driving and around 40 on the open road. Of course good gas mileage doesn't save you anything if you are spending $1000s in repairs.
Suggested Improvements
Too much tire noise on anything but smooth roads. I could use (adjustable) lumbar support in the seats. I wish it had a grab handle (like the passenger side) for easing into the driver side. The Mrs misses a thermometer, however I think the next series included one. 9 years later the rear shelf plastic seems to still be out-gassing and filming the rear window. The engine gets very noisy over 3k rpm, however don't they all? A 3 year/ 36,000 warranty from Honda vs 10 year/ 100,000 drive train from the competition. I've got a good idea which one we'll buy when we replace the Civic.