Perfect 2nd vehicle/Commuter Car
By 20034runner on
2005 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
My primary vehicle is a 4 door 4x4 pickup and my 5 day/week commute is a 57 mile round trip. I needed a commuter car. I bought my '05 Si (EP3) in March of 2010 w/ a documented 70k miles of near-perfect maintenance; 3 years later and 40k more miles, I have no complaints. Happily uses 87 octane and and with my VERY heavy foot, it still gets no less than 27 mpg of mixed driving (30-31 on a highway trip.) I've found it likes Pennzoil Synthetic blend oil the best for both performance and MPGs. Completed the 100k service, new iridium plugs, coolant flush and serpentine belt (no timing belt to replace in these) and I easily expect another 100k on this car. Love the cargo room too!
Favorite Features
Plenty of room for me at 6'1", and perfect reach for dash-mounted shifter. Nice to have the shifter mounted close to the shifter to keep both hands on steering wheel as much as possible. Seats are very supportive, though fabric is quite worn with being 8+ years old. Hatch is so nice for having the option to haul large objects or 4 people. Great handling, despite a bit of body roll. Stiffer coilovers would make a world of difference on this car, but for a daily driver it's near-perfect. LOVE that it runs on 87 octane unlike the '06 and newer premium-fuel-dependent Si coupes and sedans!!
Suggested Improvements
All leather front seats for better durability. A 6th gear would've helped to improve highway MPGs to the mid 30s. Steering wheel mounted audio controls would've been great. I'm not a fan of front wheel drive, so I will be upgrading the front to a Helical limited slip differential. Not cheap but necessary in my opinion. More power would be nice, but not at the expense of diminished MPGs or more expensive fuel. This is all very "nitpicky" stuff though. It's a fantastic, fun-to-drive 2nd vehicle that serves perfect as a fairly economical commuter that I bought as a 2nd owner for less than $10k. Great job Honda!