Mileage not as advertised
By Jason on
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
Traded in my Jetta 1.8T for a better mileage/newer car. Noticeable step down in interior quality compared to VW but delivers a good ride. I can *not* get the advertised 47/48mpg. My average is 37/37. I have seen 39 city and 45 highway, and that was with a 15 knot tailwind at 60mph. Told it will improve over time (?) If you drive faster than 70mph, you will lose mileage fast. I set the cruise at 80mph for a while and averaged about 28mpg. Consider carefully the kind of driving you do. If you drone in the 70- 80mph realm like I do, look at a TDI Golf (like I should have). If you live in the 50-60mph realm, this is the car for you. Not suited for droning in the the windy OK/KS plains.
Favorite Features
Seamless transition from driving a "regular car." I believe the technology is highly refined for mainstrem people (I am not an environmentalist). The Civic is generally nice on long trips.
Suggested Improvements
The manual seems to be written for a five-year old and does not thorough explain the technology. 360000/36 warranty not competitive, 80/80000 on the electric drive system. Salespeople should point out that Hybrids are not for everyone, especially droning at high speed for extended periods.