Hybrid Surprise
By Joe Brady on
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I bought the Civic Hybrid to ensure that my wife could make her 100 mile (round trip) commute even if gas were to be rationed. Her other car is a Mercedes, and although she says that the Merc "fits her better," she has only driven it three times in the three months that we have had the Civic. On the rare occasions that I have been permitted to drive the Honda, I have been impressed with its fit, finish, and general willingness to do whatever I ask it to do. It is definitely a small, light car, but it is almost silent at speed, and surprisingly lively. We are averaging 45mpg to date, and make no special attempts to conserve fuel. Overall, the Civic Hybrid was a great choice.
Favorite Features
High tech made simple. A recent article listed the fuel saving features that will be available in the future: The Honda Civic Hybrid has all of them now, and it requires no driver retraining or special treatment.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the steering. The power assist is absent at cruise, and the steering wheel is too small for my big (dare I say caucasian) hands.