2005 Honda Civic 1.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual w/Front Side Airbags Consumer Review - Good, Fun

2005 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Review

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Good, Fun
By good12312 on

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well at 90K miles now with only new front brake pads and an oxygen sensor. Car still looks and feels new, no rattles, noting falling off. With the manual I can get all the power I need. Gas mileage is 35 mpg city.

Suggested Improvements

front passenger needs more foot room
By engs
on 06/21/12 20:46 PM (PDT)

You must be one of the few that the head gasket has not blown YET. Watch at 100k for overheating.

By hiker8
on 10/02/12 11:58 AM (PDT)

Haha, indeed as a matter of fact the car (116K) is in at the honda dealer right now for a new head gasket, supposed to cost $1,092 (my head was not warped). I actually caught mine early before the overheating began because the heat stopped working when I was at idle, returning when moving. Also I smelled antifreeze and saw the exhaust gases were pushing antifreeze out of the reservoir. Other non critical issues: brake pads shifting in calipers, driver seat rocking, clutch creeking somewhere near transmission (only in extreme heat) brake pedal popping (only solved by new master cylinder) I'm trying for 200k, hope everything else stays solid on the car. I think honda should start reimbursing part of the cost for the head gasket since this is such a widespread problem.