2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great Car!!
By Steve on 03/15/05 21:16 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great Car!! We drove our Hybrid from Texas to Vancouver Canada and Back. We averaged 40 mpg. The milage thing is a little tricky, At times I could have the cruise control on 79 mph at around 3200 rpms and would get around 50 mpg. I had fun playing with the average and actually got it up to 70 mpg for a brief amount of time. From Arlington Washington to Eugene Oregon we got 47 mpg. It all depends on the terrain you are driving on. I think the rain or humidity may affect mileage as well. The car has plenty of passing power but struggled a little in the mountains. Great for big city commuting, comfortable for long trips.

A car for peace of mind
By JC on 03/11/05 09:58 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First I'm cost concience and I don't like supplying the middle east oil with my hard earned money. I appreciate my 2005 Honda Civic hybrid for room, comfort, handling, a good safety rating,and especially excellent fuel economy. I bought this vehicle, not only for the above reasons but also to help out our environment being a clean car. I wish everyone was concerned as much as I am on this matter. The price of this vehicle is a little more than I really wanted to pay for a vehicle but if you want something that really contains all the reasons for buying then It's worth it.

Best car we've ever owned...
By J. W. on 02/26/05 11:11 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We brought this car for a number of reasons, all of which are on the Lefty side of the political spectrum. We are not disappointed. I drive this car 56 miles every day to and from work, most of it is highway with a ten mile jaunt through a small semi-rural town. In the summer I was getting 42 mpg while in the winter it fell all the way down 31 mpg. You will find that the car's engine will not shutdown at stops when it is cold out which can be a bit of a problem up here in Minneasota. Further, when you have the defrost on the econ system, which makes the car shutdown at stops, deactivates. All in all I'm overjoyed with this cars performance on the winter roads, it handled like a dream!

Cheap Ride
By Jim Webb on 02/26/05 07:58 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid performs as expected from a Honda product, but has a battery located behind the back seat. The battery provides additional power to the small but adequate gasoline engine. As a manager I purchased the automobile for frequent short distance trips and have been very pleased to find out that the fuel economy is enhanced by stop and go driving. Each time the vehicle stops, the battery charges and is used to boost the gasoline engine. The most interesting part of the vehicle(s), we purchased two, is that when it is at a stop, you cannot hear the engine at all. The ones we purchased have all of the bells and whistles of any other car, but is very practical.

The best car I've owned.
By KarlC on 02/17/05 19:05 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has plenty of power and get's awesome mileage. I drive on the freeway a lot and this car easily cruises at 80mph if needed, no problem. You cannot tell when it is running on gas or electricity and it is quick off the mark at traffic lights, even though the engine turns off when you come to a full stop. It has amazing headroom, my 6'4" buddy can sit in it no problem. The only comment is that the 12V power outlet could be positioned somewhere else as it prevents the 2nd cup holder from being used when you have something plugged in. PLUS I get a $2000 tax break on next years taxes!

Love it
By poppyjim on 01/28/05 10:18 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased this vehicle due to ever rising fuel prices and I just don't like handing my hard earned money over to the middle east. So far I am extremely satisfied with the perfomance and fuel economy of this hybrid. It rides pretty good for a smaller vehicle and handles very nice. I don't know if I will come out ahead of the fiel costs due to having to replace the main battery in 8 years or so but having the peace of mind that my money will go into the vehicle battery instead of polluting the environment satisfies me. I also have peace of mind that I am in a very safe vehicle every time I get behind the wheel too. Overall I feel that this is one of the best new vehicles that I purchased.

Great Car
By n0uhallentown on 01/25/05 07:47 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently acquired the Honda Civic Hybrid. I purchased this car due to the price of Gas and the inefficency of both of my other cars. I have a Saturn Vue and a Pontiac Firebird. Neither of which even get half of the mileage that I get on the Hybrid. I also test drove the Honda Accord Hybrid but couldn't justify the additonal cost and it was not more efficient than my other cars.

This is the real thing
By Badguy23 on 01/22/05 23:47 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

The Honda Civic Hybrid is Comfortable bu maintains a sporty feel. The fuel mpg was only 36.6 while breaking in but into a head wind for 330 miles the mpg was 46.6 and returning home for the same didtance with no wind either way the mpg jumped to 50.3. And here's the best part, the manual Hybrid was $20350 vs the prius @ 23400 for the same features. A no brainer cuzz the $3000 will pay for the gas for the life of the car. Am I happy I bought it? You BET. I got mine.

Quiet car
By Matt Morgan on 01/13/05 12:13 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car because it is so quiet. I test drove it on sevral occasions beforehand, and I liked the fact that even when the gas engine is running it is so quiet. It won't win any races, but that's not the intent of this kind of car. The intent is to be a quiet, economical car (that happens to be very environmentally friendly), and it accomplishes these goals admirably. This is the car I should have purchased when I was shopping a couple of years ago. I bought a VW back then, and though I loved it, it was unreliable. No longer my problem.

Civic Hybrid is a Winner !!!
By Larry S.S. on 01/07/05 19:04 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my Civic Hybrid. I am getting 47 MPG in mostly city driving. I commute about 20 minutes one way, all city streets, and it does great. Had it in Texas over the Holidays and it started without a problem at 15 degrees F, completely ignoring the cold. Good lights, great seats (easy to clean), good low end torque (can squeal the tires at startup). All in all, the Hybrid does everything any other Civic can do, just better (except for hot rodding.)