Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Wish I had bought one earlier.
By John

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had an 03 Explorer and was getting between 17 to 22 MPG. Well no sooner did I get the hybrid that my bill went from $60 bucks per refill to $30 or less depending on the cost of gas. I love the 05 HCH, it is fun, fuel-efficient and all around good car. I would improve the HP but it's not to bad overall. Honda has done a great job at listening to its customers and I hope they continue to do so. Sadly the American companies once again lost the battle.

Auto-shutoff, CVT. Loaded vehicle. Overall fun, and fuel-efficient vehicle

Keep improving those MPGs

Excellent Car
By Stan Grant

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I really like the handling of the Honda Civic Hybrid. Excellent gas mileage, great looks, sporty feel with the manual 5 speed. looks like a regular Civic which is great... Unlike the Toyota Prius - ugly.... I love it!

Gas mileage

Make fog lights as a standard like the Prius.

Wish I had two of 'em
By Tom Harmening

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this Civic Hybrid for a week and already my fuel bills are plummeting. It is a great car and rides much better than my previous car - a 2003 Prius. It's smooth and quiet at both street and freeway speeds. My MPG is slowly rising (they told me it would take approximately 600 miles to get to optimum mileage levels) and now stands at 41 mpg average - up from 33 when first delivered. Friends and neighbors can't believe it's a hybrid -- as one said "It looks like a regular car and not an egg". Honda has nailed this technology. I wish I could afford two of them - I'd trade my Lexus in an instant for another Civic Hybrid!

The roomy interior and smooth ride.

If only the rear seats folded down like the Accord Hybrid!

Fun Plus Economy
By Bob

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car does get the advertised economy. We have averaged 46.7 MPG for 21k miles. Trips often are 50+. The car is comfortable, agile, and peppy, assuming you are in the right gear. Manual shifts well, clutch is great. Instruments are clear and the MPG bars give you something extra to watch in boring traffic. I have only two complaints. First the back seat won't fold down. Second, they should have a hatchback version for versitility plus economy. All in all, a great car.

Definitely the engine. Great clutch and transmission. I enjoy the manual transmission. Being able to select the right gear helps with the small engine.

They need a hatchback version and one in which the rear seats fold down.

Not as expected
By Chris

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am disappointed with the MPG. I am averaging 36.3 MPG which isn't far from its original non-hybrid. Honda claims its because I live in Florida and we use the AC year round and that lowers the MPG. Also, the AC doesn't work while the car is sitting idle.

It does save some $$ on gas.

Better MPG and some power. I think an 18-wheeler could pass me with acceleration.

• SUV