2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
So Far So Good
By Lee on 05/15/05 07:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had the car for six months and have driven over 10,000 miles. Although I have never been able to obtain the advertised 47/48 MPG, I do get at least 42 with the highest logging in at 45. It really does make a difference how you drive (how you accelerate/deccelerate, extra weight, using the a/c, etc...)I am very happy with this car. You don't need to understand the technology behind the car, just know that at $2.50 a gallon this car is a money saver.

Answer to High Gas Prices
By Chris on 05/03/05 16:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have only had our Honda Civic Hybrid for one month but the car is shear joy to own and operate. My 15 year old son is learing to dive and has only a permit. The Honda is a great tool for a new driver. The MPG graph shows exactly what your mileage is while you are driving. My son and I have a contest to see who can get the better MPG. Our best so far has been 50.2 MPG between fill ups and our overall average is 46 MPG. My son has learned very quickly that jack rabbit starts and stops eat up gas even on a hybrid. We have an 04 Miata and an 03 Explorer but we use the Honda 90% of the time. When we fill up at the gas puimp we seem to be the only ones who are smiling. It's the answer.

My first hybrid
By Wes Trayner on 05/03/05 13:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After hearing all of the hoopla about hybrid cars, I decided to turn in a gas guzzler for a Honda Civic Hybrid. The car performs well at all speeds and handles a rides as one would expect of a quality compact car. Do not expect it to be first off the line at a stop light but it is not sluggish. My first tank of gasoline got me 37.2 mpg (city) the second tank got 38.4 with each tank getting slightly more. The last tank got 42.3 and time will tell what the car will eventually level out at. The gauges available for viewing on the dash are very helpfull in learning to get the best from the car. Overall, I really like this car.

INDY-My New HIGH MPG Hybrid
By FR_Pilot on 04/12/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased INDY because I wanted a car that was an environmentally conscious statement. This car is fantastic: sporty, high tech, great MPG, stylish, and fun to drive. I got the CVT model because my wife drives it and wasn't thrilled about a stick. I've upgraded everything but the wheels. Changed the Radio to allow XM and IPOD. Nicely designed car, very conforable. Wish the seats had a little bit better lumbar support. Only option not available which I wish was possible was a sunroof. Apparently some wiring goes through the roof or so I was told so that a sunroof wasn't possible. They have it on the new Accord. I regularly get 38- 43 mpg though I don't drive for max mpg.

Civic Hybrid AT-PZEV Engine
By Chad S on 04/06/05 12:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just purchased it, ride is smooth and quiet for a little car. More headroom than I expected, interior is def. Honda, i.e. plain, but that's OK. Display is nice with MPG per trip and the IMA battery charging/assist meter is nice. Could use more torque but not sure where it would come from, but considering rising gas prices, it is a great car! Hybrid model includes side airbags and ABS.

I love my Civic!
By Bill Waldron on 03/24/05 00:38 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We used to be brutalized on gas costs for long trips with our Dodge Ram Van. This vehicle has the pep, room and gas mileage that is just excellent for its size. I made an 800 mile trip from NJ to South Carolina on 17 gallons of gas. It is not unusual to get 500/540 miles safely from 1 tank. The government tax incentive of 1500 dollars was nice too. I am going to save a fortune in gas costs in the coming years. I also purchased the bumper to bumper 10 year warrantee. I figured the tax incentive was a fair exchange. Get this car and become part of the solution to global warming, pollution, rising gas costs and have a little fun with the science of the law of conservation of energy.

New 2004 Hybrid
By Sandy on 03/23/05 23:10 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased my Honda for the fuel economy because with my husbands job and our rural location we travel quite a bit. I average 45-48 miles per gallon. I love it, it also handles well, and the body style is much better than the Toyota Prius. Thankful that I had the foresight to purchase the vehicle during the high gas prices.

Love my Civic Hybrid
By Dan on 03/23/05 22:37 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love this car! I traded in my 6 cylinder Toyota Truck for this very fuel efficient & sporty Civic. People can't believe that it's a hybrid - it looks just like a regular car! I am also finding that people don't understand that hybrids don't need to be plugged in .. ever. They create their own charge while coasting and braking. I really do get 45-50 mpg, even on stop-and-go LA freeways. While the engine is a 4 cylinder, the electrical assist kicks in when I need it to provide extra power for acceleration. Really the only times I know I'm in a hybrid is when I am sitting at a stop light and the engine has automatically turned off- and of course when I am filling up the tank.

Civic Hybrid CVT
By Frank on 03/23/05 22:03 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I expected much less performance and was nicley surprised with its spunkiness. A joy to drive, quick steering and comes with all the nice stuff at no extra cost. It is a solid car that is nicely put together. When you close the door it sounds good. I like the sound system, the electric mirrors aand the way it doesn't sound when stopped at a red light. My other cars are sitting around gathering dust because this beauty gets me 600 miles on a tank of gas. Love it.

Better than Prius
By lcohen3152 on 03/19/05 08:19 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Less complicated and no PHD required to operate. Just drove a Prius and the instrumentation was not only confusing but distracting. HH gauges simple. Mileage and interior room good. Trunk bigger than Prius and enclosed. Better for the person who likes to drive without bothering with glitz. Radio only fair. I have the upgraded model and did not switch to an added cost radio.