Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Helpful|
It really saves on gas
By zack82

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went from driving a jeep, to driving this hybrid. Even with gas prices the way they are, I still am saving an average of 80 dollars a month on gas. And I drive a lot for work, so someone who doesn't drive a lot might need only to fill up once a month. The average gas mileage i get is around 44.6 MPG. It all depends on if you use the air and how fast you drive. Driving with the cruise control really helps to increase gas mileage. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a sporty/hybrid alternative.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature for me would be the live gas mileage meter. It shows you a live reading of your gas mileage, and as you drive it takes an average MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The only down side to the car is that it has poor acceleration. But when looking at the big picture, that doesn't really matter all that much.

I love my Hybrid
By poppyjim

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I drive my Honda Civic Hybrid like any standard vehicle. It performs very well, more than I expected. It has very good pickup from a standing start. My gas mileage averages out at 46 mpg by the way that I drive it. I find that the best mileage occurs when I keep it at or below 60 mph. My highest fuel mileage that I have gotten with it was 59.2 mpg. When I want to get a true gas mileage reading I always fill it the same way each time 'til the gas can be seen at the top of the filler tube. This vehicle is comfortable and handles very nice and I really appreciate it for the peace of mind I have when I pull into the pumps. I love my Hybrid.

Favorite Features

I like all the features on it, The car comes loaded down with just about anything I could want.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I would like to see is by putting a stop on the drive selector to not allow it to mistakenly slip down from drive into second.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

Favorite Features

The mileage is obviously its greatest feature. The trunk space is also good sized for a compact car. Rear passengers have plenty of room. I also enjoy the instant mpg meter, which pretty much "teaches" you how to achieve the best miles per gallon. It's changed how I drive a vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car came with a moon roof option. Highway mileage is best driving at about 55-65 mph. Would be nice if you could get in the 45mpg range going 80mph on the interstate instead of about 35mph. That's more of "wishful thinking" than suggested improvements though.

Savings? None!
By atcpro

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrids fuel economy is great until you do the math on the cost to own. You're going to pay an extra 2k for the hybrid. Over five years, you'll save about $2925 in fuel. Sounds great until you have spit out $3900 for a new hybrid battery. Honda lost their case because they knew the battery had a shorter lifespan than advertised. So they were forced to extend the warranty to 9 years. Again, sounds great until find out they did an "update" at your last service visit on the battery that extends its life another year. Ironically, just enough for the warranty to be invalid. All together, you can expect to pay about 3k more than your gas guzzling neighbor. Cust. Serv. is a joke.

What was I thinking?!
By slcarter81

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

So the pros for this vehicle are: great gas mileage and comfort. After reading the reviews, perhaps I purchased a lemon but I will never recommend this car to anyone. 15 minutes after driving this car off the lot, all my lights came on. Fortunately the dealership replaced the hybrid battery. I have had to change the sensors and now it is burning oil. There is NO pick up in this vehicle. If you live in the mountains, do not buy this car. Every one will be passing you! After about a year of having this car, I am in the market for a new vehicle.

Favorite Features

mileage