Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It really saves on gas
By zack82

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went from driving a jeep, to driving this hybrid. Even with gas prices the way they are, I still am saving an average of 80 dollars a month on gas. And I drive a lot for work, so someone who doesn't drive a lot might need only to fill up once a month. The average gas mileage i get is around 44.6 MPG. It all depends on if you use the air and how fast you drive. Driving with the cruise control really helps to increase gas mileage. I recommend this car to anyone who wants a sporty/hybrid alternative.

Favorite Features

Favorite feature for me would be the live gas mileage meter. It shows you a live reading of your gas mileage, and as you drive it takes an average MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The only down side to the car is that it has poor acceleration. But when looking at the big picture, that doesn't really matter all that much.

I'll never go back to gas only . . .
By matthew novak

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love this car. Love sitting at a stop and knowing that I am not like all the cars around me pumping pollution into the air, because I am on the electric motor. I used to have a lead foot, and now I have more fun trying to get great mileage instead. I love competing with myself from one tank of gas to the next to try and get better and better mileage. So far the best tank of gas was 62.8 mpg and the worst was about 42 mpg. I have one tach that I haven't reset since I purchased her. Currently it says I am averaging 51.8 miles per gallon over the life of the car.

Favorite Features

MPG trip/travel tachometers are fun to play with.

Suggested Improvements

Give the driver more control over the transition between motor and electric engine. I can improve mileage if I were to shut the gas motor off at times when I am coasting down hills etc . . . Probably not good for starter and ignitions system. Would be nice if driver could control transition.

Pick One Up, IF YOU CAN
By Doug

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have had this car for about 2 years and simply love it. Bought it before the gas crisis and glad I did. Yes it does not have the pickup of normal cars but that is what the Hybrid technology is all about. If you floor it it decreases your efficiency. Has had one recall but that was an easy 1- hour fix at the local dealer. All it was, was some small computer change. Big trunk space, excellent standard features that come with the car, and looks great.

Favorite Features

Love the gas mileage. I have read through some of the other comments and I believe it is all on how you drive. I have a manual and can get up to 59 miles per gallon on a complete tank of gas. Mostly runs at about 54 though. Have got 665 miles on one tank also. Use the neutral, coast, arrows.

Suggested Improvements

Needs to have a passenger armrest and maybe throw in some light tented windows and like others have said maybe make that a special edition and give it some added features.

Great Car
By BDEiker

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car only 3 weeks and have had to fill it up once. I am getting a round about average of 42 mpg with city and highway driving. Love this car and I would buy it again.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, No middle hump in the rear, Large trunk, Fun to Drive

Suggested Improvements

Better Sound Proofing

Good little car
By Chicagoland driver

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it to replace my Ford midsized car. Very good handling. To state the obvious that some people forget, the way you drive will change the results you get with MPG. I've been averaging 42 since I bought the car in very mixed driving situations. Been as high as 50 and as low as 33. The computer is a little dumb and doesn't shut-off the gasonline engine sometimes when you're sitting in traffic. Overall, I'm very happy and love the blue color.

Favorite Features

Styling is very simple and nice, inside and out. Love the blue color. Handles a bit like a golf cart (read: fun). Seats are very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Lacks trunk-popper on remote keyless entry. Needs better computer "brain" to control gasoline shut-off system. Can't fold the rear seat. Environmental controls disable the Auto shutoff system unless they are turned to "auto" as well (even if turned "off")