2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Should have bought a Prius!
By Andrew Lyon on 07/27/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

When I went shopping for my car, I was looking for fuel economy and a little bit of fun. I first went to a Toyota dealership to test dive a Prius. Well I at least got to look at one in a brochure. I tend to buy cars on the spot (its more fun that way) and I did not want to wait 30-90 days, but I went ahead and put myself on the list. The next day I went to a Honda dealer and they had 7 Civic hybrids on their lot. A 5 speed even, so I bought it. What a bad decision! It cost me less than the Prius, but its trade in value is $9,000 less than the $2,000 more for the Prius! Its cramped, slow, and completely dull to drive. Skip this car! only 10 miles per gallon better than an EX civic.

Gas saver
By sonny on 07/26/05 18:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

On the freeway, with the cruise control on fairly flat highway, we could get around 45 mpg (avg. 65 miles/hour and total 2 persons in the car). My wife is the primary driver of this car with a 25 miles mix of half freeway and half local daily commute to work, and she managed to get 41 mpg. I learned from her that the trick is to be easy on the gas pedal and you want to try not to let the motor “assist” bar to come on, when possible. Always use cruise control when possible (above 40 miles/hour).

This Hybrid is a Winner
By tnaber on 07/15/05 04:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a 17 year old Honda Civic without any major mechanical break downs, we needed a Honda that would be fuel efficient and safe. We settled on a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. This Car is a Winner! Fit and Finish is Excellent, Gas Mileage is consistently above 45mpg and it rides quietly on the open road. You hardly know its a Hybrid except when you see the "Engine Off" light blinking when the Hybrid is running off its battery. Do yourself a favor and purchase Honda, it beats the Toyota Prius hands down. Don't ever worry about the motor stalling out like the Toyota's have been plagued with.

Minor Issues
By eagleor on 07/15/05 01:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Purchased two and a half year ago with only 5 other HCH in Portland, OR at the time. Like all Hondas this car is forgiving and well engineered with YTD mpg 46.1. Just received recall notice to reprogram IMA computer and keep the car from running "too lean". (Wonder how mileage will change? --thought lean is good in a Hybrid? :>) MT seems best suited to Pacific NW hills.

Not Bad, Not Bad at All
By G. Marek on 07/12/05 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased my 2005 Civic Hybrid used, with just over 5700 miles on it. The vehicle has surprised me with its get up and go, good acceleration. I was worried it would be sluggish, but I am happy to say I was mistaken. Very comfy interior, great sound on the stereo system, and the AC will ice you down (living in Texas, this is a good thing). I like the little pseudo-fin on the back, adds a sporty little touch. Though a small car, it feels solidly put together and handles admirably. Of course, most importantly the gas mileage is sensational, and this was the main reason I got this car. I have not been disappointed, and I wouldn't expect anything less coming from Honda. Recommended!

Just gotta have it
By Oscar & Judy Black on 07/10/05 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

What a great car - just right for us- no problems so far a great car to take on a trip or just run around town. Would buy another in a minute - if you can find one at a dealer.

Best car that I've had in years!
By Sandi on 06/30/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A friend purchased the Civic Hybrid the first year they were made. She is still driving and loving it. I was impressed and decided to try it. Like many people I was disappointed in my mileage during the first couple of months but I read the message boards and learned that it would increase with time and my experience with driving a hybrid. It has. I average 45-52 mpg. I seldom have to get gas but when I do, I smile the whole time. Other cars may get great gas mileage but I have that along with Honda reliabilty and safety. This is a great value for the money!

I love this car!
By clb97702 on 06/29/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car last year when local gas prices hit $2.50 per gallon and I had to make 200+ mile trip over the mountains 4-6 a month. The only problem I have ever had in the last year is a nail in the tire. I love this car and I love how easy it is to drive and take care of. This car ROCKS!

Getting great mileage out of my Hybrid
By Love my Hybrid on 06/29/05 12:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

There are already a lot of reviews, which I read before I bought this car. I'm getting just over 40 mpg. This is less than the posted city/hwy, but I knew it would be going in. If you read more about the car, and hybrid technology, you'll find that as far as the environment's concerned, you are getting 46-51 mpg, with lower emissions. The car handles great, and I expect it will just about last forever (as most Hondas do).

Hybrid Fan!
By Charlotte on 06/28/05 22:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love only having to fill my tank once every week and a half to two weeks! It has more power to it than my last Honda!