2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Problems with electric system IMA
By fred on 09/07/05 00:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Aug 2005 and 15000mi @ yr. For over 6 weeks not able to drive car with use of electric IMA battery system, new EMC computer needed, none available and there is a national back order. I question if there is a defect or is this normal, 6wks, plus another component for starting the car has to be replaced. Also in the order for the new computer EMC, nothing was written up on the repair, I just have a card with the part number on it and was told it was ok to drive because the gasoline part of the system still functions. (that was until it needed component to start the engine) Am slightly frustrated with the process, the dealers have been nice, but it all makes wonder about the hybird.

Great Car
By Ahsan on 09/06/05 20:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think that's the best car for those who drives state-to-state . Great mileage. Since I have this car, I never get any troubles. You can't go wrong with Honda! I hardly see any maintance .... runs good!

Hybrid the Best Buy
By Jackson on 09/05/05 17:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

An excellent drive. Slightly overated mileage estimates but not enough to be concerned about. Some inattention to excessive glue traces on front and rear glass which is not expected from Honda. Definitely a worthwhile buy with gas prices as they are and the need to go to "Green" vehicles to reduce pollution. I traded an SUV so its size took a little getting used to but worth it. A good solid ride.

My 4th Honda Civic!
By Roxanne on 09/01/05 07:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I know this car is still basically new. It runs great with terrific pickup. They added safety features to it, compared to my last one. I just love to drive it. Not many Hybrids are out there. I am so glad I insisted on getting a Hybrid!

Cheaper gas
By Tom on 08/30/05 10:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is a great car but so far the MPG hasn't been quite as good as the said it would be but way better than anything else on the market and at $3 a gallon gas, that goes a long way. Hard to get used to the fact it is so quiet, feels like it dies all the time, rather neat

Civic Hybrid
By Guy Little on 08/25/05 09:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This was the first car I ever really test drove. I went about a block and half. Thought to myself I'm buying this car. I have since put 27200 miles on it. Drove to Pa and back to Ohio from Ashville to Altoona. My MPG overall was 52.2 MPG for the round trip. It does get lower fuel economy during the winter months, but that is OK. It handles really well and have had absolutely no problems with this car.

You will fall in love
By Anna on 08/20/05 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Avg mpg is high 30's at mid grade octane. Love the auto-stop for rush hour traffic runs quiet and knowing it is almost zero emmisions makes you feel fantastic. It's not my first car, but the first one I have truly loved.

What a great little car.
By rrgy2k on 08/20/05 16:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought it because we're trying to get good in-town gas mileage in a car that has comfortable room for 4 adults. We haven't been disappointed. I'm the engineer, but my wife routinely gets the better mileage around town (41 vs my 40 on the trip odometer). Our mileage on the trip odometer is actually a couple mpg's low, because it over reads gas consumption a bit and because the speedometer reads 1.5% fewer miles than we really travel (measured on 100 miles on I95 in SC) (this also explains why it understates speed by 1.5% as well). Actual gas mileage, with 1000-2000 miles on the odometer: 37 @ 80mph, and about 44 @ 65mph.

Honda Woes
By bobr on 08/11/05 19:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this Hybrid only becaue I thought the Toyota Prius was ugly. Well I had it for a few months and I like it. I received a recall letter from Honda claiming the hybrid's computer software was defective and needed to be updated. I took it to my dealer and when they applied the update the computer crashed. My hybrid has been dead at the dealer for 15 days now while I wait for Honda to locate a replacement computer. I consider this service unacceptable and I feel that Honda should have shipped a new computer to my dealer immediately after then found out a new car they sold was dead due to a recall "fix". I should have bought the Prius. I am very disappointed with Honda's lack of concern.

I don't get good mileage
By Andy on 08/04/05 00:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Everything about this car has been very good except the gas mileage. I consistently get 36 mpg. I drive on the highway about 45 miles each way to work. Needless to say, mileage is important to me and I don't get anything near the sticker.