Used 2005 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

This car will last a lifetime!
By Honda Nut

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 106,000 Miles 3 years ago it now has 206,000 and haven't had one problem yet! I just drove it from Fl to Ma. A 1500 mile trip and got 42 mpg! My wife bought a 2003 civic brand new and has 137,000 miles on hers and hasn't been back to the dealer, EVER! The dumbest thing we did when we bought hers was buy an extended warranty. LOL I will buy these civics for the rest of my life. I am now looking for one for my mom.

Reliability, mileage, stereo and fun to drive

Don't change a thing!

2005 Honda Civic EX is a tin can
By Quality isn't there

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Honda Civic ex special edition has ridiculously thin metal and a lot of plastic. So thin that you can easily put your foot through the car. The car only has two front air bags, so this definitely isn't a safe car. This car gets bad mileage and suffers from a number of engineering problems. The automatic choke comes on every time you start the car -- even if you don't need it and you can't shut it off until the car moves. In addition, the choke is too strong and just sucks fuel. Also 5th speed doesn't drop rpm sufficiently and you end up getting poor mileage at the higher speed. You are lucky to get 34 highway, while the 2001 Civic ex automatic got 36. This car should get 38.

Sound system is great, Honda replace engine belts with timing chains in 2003. Transmission appears to be solid and Honda makes a great clutch. Back seat folds down and makes the car like a hatchback. This allows you to haul longer packages or parcels.

Drivers and rear passenger areas is too small and Honda needs to add at least 2-3 inches to both. Front seats can't be moved back far enough, seats are nothing more than foam rubber and don't dissipate heat. Metal gauge of car is too thin, auto choke needs manual setting and better engineering.

Extremely Reliable, Very Boring
By abanerjee

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My parents got me this car pre-owned certified right when I got my license a year before I headed off to college. This was perfect for my use. It's safe, doesn't waste gas, and is completely adequate from getting from point A to point B. I love how its small enough to zip in and out of lanes without causing a problem, and its roomy up front. That being said, it is a really boring car. It's also incredibly noisy on the highway and the brakes are extremely sensitive. However, it's economical, environmentally friendly, and since I got it in 2008 I haven't had a single problem with it. Just regular servicing, and its good to go. Great car for college students or new drivers.

gas mileage, comfortable, economical, small size

more standard features, it could look better, make it quieter

I love this car!!
By dani

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Honda Civic and i love it! my mother-in-law has the 2 dr version and she loves it she has had it since 2006 and has only had to change the battery on it! plus the gas mileage is amazing!

Looks, performance, space

fun w/ 5spd but a dog on the HWY
By mkm230

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a year ago to replace an aging 1993 Accord ex. Loved the build quality, comfort, and the moonroof that the Accord had. Given my history with Honda, I wanted to stick with them. So far, the 05 Civic has been a great car. Higher than average gas mileage for its class, comfortable seats, fun to shift through the gears w/ the 5spd. However, on the highway the noise level gets a little tiring after an hour or so. Doesn't have much power on hills, but keep in mind it's no v6. Had no problems as far as maintenance goes. Just change the oil and go. Just do the normal 105,000 service and you're good for another 105!

gas mileage, 5 spd tranny, responsive handling, gauges, easy to park, and as always with Honda, good visibility.

no ABS on LX model. Noisy on the highway. Miss my EX model!