Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 400 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Rethinking My Purchase
By Nate

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle September, 2005. I considered buying the 2005 Nissan Sentra but got a better deal with the Civic. I traded in a 1998 Civic which to me is a better vehicle performance wise than the 2005 model. There is considerable drain on the engine when accelerating to highway speed. The air conditioner is less than desirable on extreme hot days. Braking is poor. Someone missed the mark when they said gas milage is 38/29. I get approximately 31/23. It might be a Honda, but this is a low budget automobile and you get what you pay for.

Style and color. Getting away from the sloping radio antenna and having it placed in the rear window was a good ideal. The large tires looks good.

The engine needs more power. Test driving the 05 Nissan Sentra which is comparable with the Civic showed that the Sentra is heads above the Civic in engine performance. The Civic could use more sound proofing at highway speeds. It wouldn't hurt to have an upgraded air conditioner.

My First Car
By angie

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truly is an amazing car. I love it! It's fun, smooth, and I love my purple lights in my dash! Just beautiful.

My purple lights in my dash board was my favorite feature. I don't know of any car besides the Jetta that had that - and these colors put them to shame! I loved the roomy trunk I had as well, it was huge!

Not as expected
By Chris

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am disappointed with the MPG. I am averaging 36.3 MPG which isn't far from its original non-hybrid. Honda claims its because I live in Florida and we use the AC year round and that lowers the MPG. Also, the AC doesn't work while the car is sitting idle.

It does save some $$ on gas.

Better MPG and some power. I think an 18-wheeler could pass me with acceleration.

Great for city driving
By AZ Twins fan

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I previously owned a V6 Accord but with fuel prices so high and my fuel economy so low it was time for a change. The switch to the (ULEV)Civic was the best move I could have made. It has all the features I expect along with great fuel economy (Sorry large truck and SUV folks 12 hwy/8 city is NOT good gas mileage) and is very quiet to drive both in town and on the highway. I'm saving about $15-20 per week on gas vs. the Accord so far and have never looked back. So if you need a great small sedan to zip around town or for those weekend getaways I would highly recommend this car.

Sporty styling with flared rear bumper and more aggressive front fascia, nice sized trunk, and all the standard LX features like air, tilt, cruise, CD, map lights, and power mirrors. Oh...who can forget fuel economy. I can usually get about 38hwy/25city.

Could have made alloy wheels standard and have the CD player able to play mp3's but other than that I can't think of anything else. Check out the '06 Civic for some amazing changes to an already highly respected car.

I love my honda
By Gina Houser

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Although I have only had my honda for a few days now, I can already tell that it is going to be a great car. I love the way it rides and the look of the honda civic. It gets great gas mileage and it is fun to drive.

My favorit feature is the blue lights around the spedometer, it makes it brighter and much easier to see.

No improvements as of right now.