2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
38-40 MPG
By Paul on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great MPG (38-40 consistently), seems to allow the driver and passengers to sit higher than in other cars, which, in addition to the large windows (something I did not appreciate until driving other cars) make the car comfortable and easy to drive.

Reliable But Poor Creature Comforts
By Spike710 on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my EX 5 years ago and am replacing it with an Altima. Like all Hondas, it is cheap to operate, averaged 30 MPG, car looks good. But my back gets beat up in this car, so trips that exceed 30 minutes are painful, you feel every bump in the road and the road noise is so loud, you have to speak up on the phone or with passengers.

Cheap little civic
By John on 10/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just for the record: "this was my wife's car before we got married, I would never have bought such a tiny little plastic car." Honda reliability everyone says? At about 10k miles the car wouldn't start, the lights and dashboard lights were flickering on and off every time I would try to start the car. This happened about 4 times. Every time this happened I needed a jump start, and had to wait about 1/2 hour for the car to calm down so I can restart it. About 1/2 a dozen times the car just would not start (even after replacing the battery). The interior? as cheap as they come, non- stop squeaks throughout the winter, NON-STOP! At about 40k miles the gas door would not even open anymore.

Inexpensive AND cheap
By inittowinit on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Well, here goes. I bought in '05 because i had a low self esteem. I wanted a car with a seat so horrible, i would hurt when i got to where i was going. And i got it! i also wanted an engine so small that 1967 beetles could outrun me. guess what, i got that too. i was also so totally looking forward to cramming me and three of my 6'3" buddies in the car to see if the performance got noticeably worse and how uncomfortable we could get. and how well the brakes worked when we now essentially doubled the weight of the car. actually the brakes are good. it didn't have ABS b/c it's not standard and i hate ABS. the gas door release broke, passenger window broke, and a flat - totally Honda's fault.

This car will last a lifetime!
By Honda Nut on 08/31/10 19:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 106,000 Miles 3 years ago it now has 206,000 and haven't had one problem yet! I just drove it from Fl to Ma. A 1500 mile trip and got 42 mpg! My wife bought a 2003 civic brand new and has 137,000 miles on hers and hasn't been back to the dealer, EVER! The dumbest thing we did when we bought hers was buy an extended warranty. LOL I will buy these civics for the rest of my life. I am now looking for one for my mom.

2005 Honda Civic EX is a tin can
By Quality isn't there on 08/01/10 22:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Honda Civic ex special edition has ridiculously thin metal and a lot of plastic. So thin that you can easily put your foot through the car. The car only has two front air bags, so this definitely isn't a safe car. This car gets bad mileage and suffers from a number of engineering problems. The automatic choke comes on every time you start the car -- even if you don't need it and you can't shut it off until the car moves. In addition, the choke is too strong and just sucks fuel. Also 5th speed doesn't drop rpm sufficiently and you end up getting poor mileage at the higher speed. You are lucky to get 34 highway, while the 2001 Civic ex automatic got 36. This car should get 38.

Extremely Reliable, Very Boring
By abanerjee on 06/25/10 11:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My parents got me this car pre-owned certified right when I got my license a year before I headed off to college. This was perfect for my use. It's safe, doesn't waste gas, and is completely adequate from getting from point A to point B. I love how its small enough to zip in and out of lanes without causing a problem, and its roomy up front. That being said, it is a really boring car. It's also incredibly noisy on the highway and the brakes are extremely sensitive. However, it's economical, environmentally friendly, and since I got it in 2008 I haven't had a single problem with it. Just regular servicing, and its good to go. Great car for college students or new drivers.

I love this car!!
By dani on 04/25/10 20:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I just got my Honda Civic and i love it! my mother-in-law has the 2 dr version and she loves it she has had it since 2006 and has only had to change the battery on it! plus the gas mileage is amazing!

fun w/ 5spd but a dog on the HWY
By mkm230 on 04/24/10 16:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a year ago to replace an aging 1993 Accord ex. Loved the build quality, comfort, and the moonroof that the Accord had. Given my history with Honda, I wanted to stick with them. So far, the 05 Civic has been a great car. Higher than average gas mileage for its class, comfortable seats, fun to shift through the gears w/ the 5spd. However, on the highway the noise level gets a little tiring after an hour or so. Doesn't have much power on hills, but keep in mind it's no v6. Had no problems as far as maintenance goes. Just change the oil and go. Just do the normal 105,000 service and you're good for another 105!

Nice Economical Car
By kurisu on 04/23/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2005. It has 75,000 miles. Only thing I've done on it is replace engine mount ($250); oil change, and replace tires. I've done Honda's recommended service at 30K and 50K. I have not changed the brakes yet or had any major repairs. The car gets excellent gas mileage. The car is very reliable and economical to drive. This car should not be thought of as a luxury car, but more as a practical car.