Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

excellent hybrid
By lalala1

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My civic hybrid has been through a lot - long commutes, cross country trips, 2 high school drivers. It's still running well with over 170k miles & getting over 41mpg which is a lifesaver right now. As long as maintenance is kept up with it will last a long, long, long time! I'm expecting to drive this car for several more years, I love it.

fuel efficiency, easy to drive, great hybrid features - auto stop.

only one cigarette lighter, CVT has a judder when accelerating, check engine light is always on.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

The mileage is obviously its greatest feature. The trunk space is also good sized for a compact car. Rear passengers have plenty of room. I also enjoy the instant mpg meter, which pretty much "teaches" you how to achieve the best miles per gallon. It's changed how I drive a vehicle.

I wish the car came with a moon roof option. Highway mileage is best driving at about 55-65 mph. Would be nice if you could get in the 45mpg range going 80mph on the interstate instead of about 35mph. That's more of "wishful thinking" than suggested improvements though.

CVT Transmission
By ron

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Owned my Honda from brand new in 2005. Gas mileage about 41 combined city/highway. I have about 80,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my CVT from the start. At 20,000 I had my fluid changed because of a grunting noise at start off. Fifteen thousands miles later the Honda replaced the clutch because of chattering they called it. It seemed to start back grunting at about 50,000. Then on an oil change they detected a motor support broken and replaced it. The grunting seemed to go away but came back soon afterward. Can't seem to get this grunting noise to go away. Has anyone ever heard or had this problem with their CVT transmission? This problems really irritates me!!!

Looks and fun to drive.

Get a better CVT.

Time for another Hybrid
By Rick W

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have had a lot of fun with this car. Driving is fun and playful. I have figured that traveling East to West I gain 10% on mileage because of the winds generally from the West. I have gotten up to 52 mpg on the NYS Thruway eastbound and 48 westbound. Drops to 46 mpg going through the Berkshires. Lots of pep and pickup. Surprised my wife on its passing capability.

I like the instant recalculation of the mpg meter and being able to calculate for short trips and long trips. When the radio fades, the CD is always there for a backup.

I have purchased a GPS for travels and that has augmented the fun a lot. This would be an improvement if they could come up with one that is comparable in price. Can't see paying more than $400 for one, installed or not. Radio reception could be improved with the new technology.

Great Car
By Donna Moore

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid over two years ago. I drive 57 miles one way to work, so I needed a fuel efficient car. I have been very pleased with my Honda. I am very conservative in the way I drive. The roads I travel are narrow and winding, so the speed limit is 60MPH. I follow that and average anywhere between 44 and 47 miles per gallon. The only draw back I have seen thus far is the guard that is right under the front of the car. I cannot travel on dirt roads many times because the car hits center and knocks this piece lose. I have replaced this once, at no charge, but I am going to have to do it again and this time it is going to cost about 123.00 and labor. 80,000 miles so far

There are several things I really love about this car. The gas milage for sure is at the top of my list. The car is dependable and well built--no rattles or wind noise.

Do something about that guard piece under the front bumper.