2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Hybrid 2005
By beebee on 09/30/07 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Like everything about the car. Gets great gas mileage, about 37 mpg combined. It's a nice alternative to the Prius which has a weird display in the middle of the car. Wish the seats were softer but can always get a little cushion. I am very very happy with this car.

Bye, Bye SUV
By wayne on 11/11/06 08:33 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I was late to get in on the SUV craze and loved my 2004 Mazda Tribute. But 21 mpg and rising gas prices changed my mind. My payments stayed the same but my mileage more than doubled with the Civic Hybrid. I have had no maintenance problems at all, just routine service. I love the tax breaks and driving over 525 miles on a 12 gallon tank of gas. The ride is smooth and steady, and it takes a while to get used to the engine stopping when you come to a halt. Now it doesn't have the asphalt melting burnout torque, but buying gas only once every 3 weeks more than makes up for it. Yes there are times when I still miss the Tribute, but for now I'm very pleased with my choice of a hybrid car.

I love my Hybrid
By poppyjim on 08/13/06 20:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I drive my Honda Civic Hybrid like any standard vehicle. It performs very well, more than I expected. It has very good pickup from a standing start. My gas mileage averages out at 46 mpg by the way that I drive it. I find that the best mileage occurs when I keep it at or below 60 mph. My highest fuel mileage that I have gotten with it was 59.2 mpg. When I want to get a true gas mileage reading I always fill it the same way each time 'til the gas can be seen at the top of the filler tube. This vehicle is comfortable and handles very nice and I really appreciate it for the peace of mind I have when I pull into the pumps. I love my Hybrid.

Hybrid? Great!
By Eman on 07/28/06 05:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have owned my hybrid for about a year now and love it. I drive mostly in the 45-55 mph range and average anywhere from 45-52 mpg. My mileage all depends on how much I use the A/C and how much I gas from a stand still. I have taken the car on a long trip and it was comfortable! I would definitely recommend this car.

Honda Hybrid, Too often Overlooked
By dl091189 on 04/30/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have a 2005 Hybrid with manual transmission--a rarity. I chose manual for better power and control, and automatic seemed too sluggish. I do sacrifice gas mileage however, but still average about 39mpg no matter where I drive. I love the car, it is well built, fun to drive, and has more power than expected. It is also very comfortable for a long trip. The only drawback is that the "auto stop" function does not always dis-engage, but I found a way around this, but always making sure I am in gear, before the light changes, or double shifting when it stalls. I think this car has been overlooked in the hype over the Prius, which drives like a golf cart, the Civic is a real car!

Hybrid--The Best Choice
By Kaintuckman on 03/04/06 10:27 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have driven my Honda Civic Hybrid for almost seven months and I am totally satisfied with this automobile. I had to get used to the small size, coming from an SUV but was not a problem as this car is fun to drive and gets superior milage. I average 35-38 mpg in the city and 45 on the highway at 65mph. The gas milage is slightly overstated on the dealers sticker and the milage you do get depends a lot on how carefully you drive the car. The autostop control is slow to engage when using the car in cold weather which reduces mpg and makes you think its not working properly. The engine has to reach a certain temp first. This car is an excellent buy for anyone.

A great car, superbly e-friendly!
By Jotage on 03/02/06 03:14 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Comfortable, good looking,well appointed,fun to drive,ultra low emissions and average gas consumption of 43mpg, after a year of city/highway driving! My Hybrid is responsive, quick, smooth and safe. What a great small sedan!

120 mile a day commute
By tomtomt on 03/01/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I drive about 120 miles a day for my commute and love every minute of getting 50+ mpg. I replaced the standard stereo with one that has a XM Radio receiver and that makes the drive bearable. Road noise is the pretty high unless I drive outside the ruts made by those who insist on having studded tires on their cars.

LOVE my hybrid
By Sarah on 01/30/06 15:29 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

After 1.5 years I am still in love with my Civic Hybrid. I get about 45 mpg and fill the gas tank about every 450 miles. Passengers are always surprised that it seems like a normal car - until it auto-stops at stop lights. They they are REALLY surprised! It has a quiet high- pitched whine that is annoying for people who can hear it but it is easily covered by the stereo.

Buy One
By Steve on 01/29/06 20:13 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I've had this auto for about three months and it's a great car. I set the odometer when i left the dealer and so far it's showing 43.1 for all of the driving that we've done (4500.) The car rides well, has plenty of pep, and is very quiet. The only minus in this equation is road traction in snow and ice. Traction and control was scary until i bought a set of snow tires. I wasn't made aware of the need until i drove it in snow for the first time. I nearly quit driving it. Once the new tires were on it felt like it could climb a wall! No problems since.