Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it. At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest having a coolant system that works. Why does the air conditioner compressor turn on when the defroster is on?! There's an AC on/off button for that reason. There's no need to make the engine work harder just to defrost my windshield. Just like everything...a brand going downhill due to cheap shortcuts and shoddy workmanship. Also, there is less leg room in the 2005 compared to the 2000. I'm 5'10" so a couple of inches makes a differences. Stopping making dashboards so dam.n intrusive.

2005 Honda's - NoNo
By butler83

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Front side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 05 Van and Civic. I have been disappointed by both. The van is below average and poorly reviewed in the van section. I wrote honda and they did not stand behind their product. My Civic has been steady, but the road noise is terrible. I am really starting to hate this car and Honda. If you buy one get earplugs.

Honda Reliability? Don't think so.
By jebedmund

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After recently dealing with the dreaded "blown head gasket" @ 105k miles, I'm stopping by Edmunds to read other's experiences. I can't believe how many people have had a blown head gasket on low mileage Civics. This is my second major complaint with the car ... the first being the air fuel sensor giving out a couple of years ago and the $400+ dealer quote on the repair. Honda should have covered both of these problems with recalls. Note to Honda marketing: *We WON'T be buying another Honda*.

Favorite Features

This is the Mrs's daily driver ... a black EX with automatic and she had red leather seats installed when new. Prior to the recent heartache we've been happy with the car ... only needing to change the oil and buy a set of tires. The automatic shifts as smooth as any I've ever driven although I'd like to try the 5 speed auto in the newer cars. Decent gas mileage ... we get around 30 in local driving and around 40 on the open road. Of course good gas mileage doesn't save you anything if you are spending $1000s in repairs.

Suggested Improvements

Too much tire noise on anything but smooth roads. I could use (adjustable) lumbar support in the seats. I wish it had a grab handle (like the passenger side) for easing into the driver side. The Mrs misses a thermometer, however I think the next series included one. 9 years later the rear shelf plastic seems to still be out-gassing and filming the rear window. The engine gets very noisy over 3k rpm, however don't they all? A 3 year/ 36,000 warranty from Honda vs 10 year/ 100,000 drive train from the competition. I've got a good idea which one we'll buy when we replace the Civic.

Savings? None!
By atcpro

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrids fuel economy is great until you do the math on the cost to own. You're going to pay an extra 2k for the hybrid. Over five years, you'll save about $2925 in fuel. Sounds great until you have spit out $3900 for a new hybrid battery. Honda lost their case because they knew the battery had a shorter lifespan than advertised. So they were forced to extend the warranty to 9 years. Again, sounds great until find out they did an "update" at your last service visit on the battery that extends its life another year. Ironically, just enough for the warranty to be invalid. All together, you can expect to pay about 3k more than your gas guzzling neighbor. Cust. Serv. is a joke.

Reliable? Don't believe the hype
By junkhonda

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just back from my fourth visit to the dealer and $1800 poorer so far. Had to replace the crankshaft sensor and harness. Doesn't include the $1000 for the timing belt and maintenance they talked me into on the 1st visit. We bought into the Honda is the most reliable car on the road fantasy, 500k miles and nothing but an oil change blah blah... Ours is only at 99K. Always did all the scheduled maintenance. I almost stalled out on the highway. Try seeing how happy other drivers are when you're driving 20 mph on the 101 (for you socal drivers) Looks like the same trap we had with Ford and GM. Thing just starts falling apart at 100k/10 yr. The civic didn't even make it that far.