2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
200,000+ and still going
By nelsonoah on 03/05/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Update to my 11/19/09 review. I'm still driving it and have done nothing but regular stuff (oil/filter, brakes, tires). I now have roughly 205k miles on it. The IMA warning light came on about 1.5 years ago (around 190k miles). Honda said the hybrid battery was testing weak and needed replaced ($2,500 and 3-year/30k warranty). I decided not to replace it and to just see what it'd do. Battery doesn't keep charged up as well as it used to, but I'm still getting over 40mpg driving in town. I found a place that will put in a used battery with a 1-year guarantee for $1,275. Besides the battery, everything else seems to be in great shape.

@118,000 miles
By hiker8 on 11/27/12 08:49 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Annoyances but not necessary to fix: brake pedal pops, creaking noise from transmission when clutch pressed (difficult to lubricate), drivers seat has a little play when rocked back and forth, brake pads shift in calipers and "pop" when braking forward after braking reverse. Major problems: Head gasket replaced at dealer for $950 @ around 115,000 miles. (If you heat goes out while idling and bubbles are coming from your coolant reservoir while idling you need a head gasket). Other things: Front pads at 90k, oxygen sensor around 90k, fluids, filters tires. The good: no electrical/accessory problems, drives pretty good and smooth with the manual. Solid and reliable despite head gasket.

Blew Head Gasket in Early Life, Great Reliability After
By mrsheng on 11/25/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used back in 2008 when it had around 30K mileage. My car was particularly unique because it had dealer installed custom interior seats and door panels (black faux leather vinyl). As far as reliability and build quality, I rated it 3 out of 5. My car blew a head gasket at 40K miles. I don't know what caused it, but my only guess was the thermostat. After much research online, it was a common problem. I wonder if Honda had irregular thermostats installed in their Civics. Anyways, after I took my car to the dealership for repair...the car has been working great ever since. 115K miles going strong and engine still sounds great.

This car was great! but boring as ever!
By jrx45x on 07/18/12 14:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car about a year ago, and i tell you now, this is the best car out there....for reliability....It got me from point A to point B everytime. I was at 80k miles and never had a check engine light or any problem at all, and i ragged on that little engine..It got great gas mileage. I filled up every other week and i was a teenager at the time so i was everywhere pedal to the floor. But let me tell you before you buy it...I got to the point where this car was so boring for me...so slow for me that i went and bought a Volkswagen GTI..ya it breaks alot but its way more worth it then my civic ever was because i have fun everytime i drive! But Honda really is the best Company ever.

Overheating problems
By engs on 06/21/12 21:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use to love driving my civic. It handled well and is suppose to be a safe car. The first four years I had the car I was very happy with it. Just over 100k miles while driving my daughter and my two young grandchildren from Fl to Pa it overheated on Interstate 95 at night. that was three years ago. Since, I haven't been able to travel farther than 50 miles from home. We have had the car to many shops and they can't find the problem. You name it we replaced it. Still overheating! If you go to hondatech.com you will find this is a common problem with Honda. So next we will have the head gasket repair which may run as high as $1,500. I'm not happy with Honda and would never buy another.

Good value but some serious drawbacks
By smore on 12/12/11 02:24 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

HEAT SUX (yes thermostat has been replaced with high temp). If you live in a cold climate avoid this car. This car is loud too, it picks up an unnecessary amount of road noise. Otherwise it's a great car with great mileage and very reliable. The interior is very loud t

I totalled my Honda, it saved my life.
By chelsb on 08/19/11 05:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

I was going over 100kph (60mph) in my little 2005 Honda Civic Coupe. I was drowsy and noticed I was going off the shoulder too late. I over corrected and fish tailed twice. I lost control around the turn, spun and slammed along the guard rail in my lane a couple times before making my full 360. I broke two guard rail posts and pushed it out to about 3 feet. I broke bumpers, my axle, [violative content deleted] my unibody and the whole drivers side of my car. But she kept me safe and secure the entire time, the frame taking the blow for me. I only have slight neck pain the next day. Everything mechanical even still works, engine is pristine. Thank you Honda.. I will be repurchasing, maybe a fit.

excellent hybrid
By lalala1 on 05/12/11 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My civic hybrid has been through a lot - long commutes, cross country trips, 2 high school drivers. It's still running well with over 170k miles & getting over 41mpg which is a lifesaver right now. As long as maintenance is kept up with it will last a long, long, long time! I'm expecting to drive this car for several more years, I love it.

Good, Fun
By good12312 on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well at 90K miles now with only new front brake pads and an oxygen sensor. Car still looks and feels new, no rattles, noting falling off. With the manual I can get all the power I need. Gas mileage is 35 mpg city.

Great car
By Eppsinic on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Honda civic 1.7 liter now for more than a year. This car is not just comfy and looks slick but has amazing gas mileage. My average mileage is 39 miles to the gallon.I have put almost 30,000 miles on it in a single year and doesn't drive any different then when I bought it.