Used 2005 Honda Civic EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Holds its Value
By Happy Dad

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car for my daughter with 35,000 miles on it. The few times I have driven it I have been pleasantly surprised. It is especially comfortable at highway speeds. I just looked up the resale value and it has only depreciated $1,500 in two years. I would like to see the front bucket seats beefed-up somewhat. I weigh 225 and the seats do 'creek' upon entrance or exit.

Favorite Features

The best part is the gas mileage. I recently got 40+ mpg on a 500 mile trip. Day-to-day mileage is 30+ mpg. At 65 the ride is smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

As I said, the seats could be made more heavy-duty.

Perfection
By Andy

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have owned it almost three years. It's hard to express my satisfaction! My last three tanks of gas got 37, 39, and 41 mpg, which is normal. The car has more than adequate power, the ride is smooth, the road noise is about right for this class of car. So far the car has worked perfectly, only routine maintenance, which is easy to do yourself. This quality of this car feels better than the new Civic.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, great handling and acceleration. Very well designed interior.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for those.

Alaskan Honda
By AlaskaHonda

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 14,000 miles on my 2005 Honda Civic EX, and I am glad that bought it. It has been very reliable, and the Honda dealership has had great customer service. No problems at all. I find that i get good enough traction with mud & snow tires that I don't even need to use studded tires for driving in the snow in Alaska. Despite sub-zero temperatures, it has always started reliably. It's not a sports car, but it is a sporty, well-made, polished and reliable car that saves money; it saves money by needing less fuel, by needed little maintenance, by saving the hassle/money of being in the shop, and by maintaining good resale value when it's time to sell. My next car in 10 years: Civic!

Favorite Features

fuel economy; build quality; reliability; attention to detail; sporty, though an economy car; excellent dealer customer service; it is the best car for me for almost every situation--though it's not a pickup and can't carry large furniture, though the rear seats do fold down to carry skis, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Remote-controlled trunk release; I wasn't sure about the styling at first, but it has grown on me and come to like it--I felt the same way about the new 2006 model, but now like it too---they're more classic, subtle designs that won't grow old that quickly, but they don't catch your eye at first

Bang For the Buck
By Rocky

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well I traded my beloved GTI for a civic sedan. Needless to say Ill never buy a VW car again. Too many electrical problems. Vw has one of the worst ratings as far as realiabilty is concern. The civic on the other hand is great car. Simple yet good lookin. the fuel economy is great and the manual tranny is smooth for a compact sedan. All in all it was a good deal. Honda has always been reliable company.

Favorite Features

5 spd transmission, Dash lights, and deep gray exterior color aint too bad either

Suggested Improvements

none

Great car
By Matt

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We traded in an 04 Grand Am for the Civic and love it. Its a much more fun ride than I expected, gets great mileage, and is comfortable.

Favorite Features

Arm rests are perfect (I'm 6'1), steering is tight, trunk space for a small car is great.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing on the 05 I would change was taken care of on the 06, to spruce up the dash a little.