Used 2005 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Maybe I got a bad one.
By Ed

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overrated but ok for a tiny car.

This car dependable and affordable
By JanG

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great gas mileage. roomy and comfortable.

Total dissapointment
By Nevermore

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I was expecting this car to last for many miles without major problems. It just recently reached 97,000 miles and the automatic transmission was making noise. It turns out the final drive (aka differential) bearings are shot. Since this is deep in the transmission, the transmission essentially will need to be rebuilt at a cost of approximately $2600 if the final drive itself is not damaged. This car was conservatively driven and maintained meticulously and it is really upsetting that it now needs a major repair like this at a relatively moderate mileage. There is no replaceable fluid filter in the transmission and therefore no way to give it proper maintenance short of changing the fluid. I feel this is a major flaw and is a guarantee for failure.
There has been no help from the dealer nor Honda. The dealer and Honda refused to put in any effort to see if there is any remedy for me and gave me the impression they don't care.
The other issue is the front brakes on this car do not last more than 12K miles. There is nothing apparently wrong with the braking system yet the brake pads wear out prematurely.
This would be a great car if it would have lasted longer but it seems I could have done better with a less expensive car.
Based on my experience, this model is highly overrated. I'll never buy another Honda again.
I have since sold the car and have my sights set on a Toyota.

Great Little Car!
By Kimyung

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 82K to 135K miles. I had the stick shift model. I would have kept it too, but I got rear ended and they totaled the car out. I didn't do anything to the car besides a tune up and basic maintenance. I'm really happy with my experience with this car. The AC compressor started to go towards the end. I've only driven Hondas my whole life and I have had it happen a couple of times. I wish I didn't get hit, I'd still be driving this little car.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE HONDA NAME! nothing but problems
By sfus1989

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My 05 civic has been NOTHING but problems!

I got it at 90,000 miles and on my way home the thermostat went and the oil pan had to be replaced. Then something seemed wrong with the acceleration so I took it to my uncle who is a mechanic (aka I know he is not going to screw me) and I found out the timing belt had to be replaced, They all Do at 90,000 fyi.

Then from there the front hub bearings had to be replaced because the sound was atrocious and grinding. THEN the OEM gas cap was faulty and the check engine light came on, so I bought a new one and found out that the check engine light was the alternator AND cat convertor needed to be replaced. HONDA RELIABILITY? Ill stick with Toyota!

Exterior Looks Roomy Back Seat Attractive Gage Cluster