2005 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
What causes the car to jerk
By kojow on 05/20/14 09:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Honda but recently it started jerking when driving between 20-40km/hour. Can anyone assist with an antidote to this problem?

2005 civic dx
By algu on 01/22/14 18:14 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car just over a year ago with 90000km on it. Now has 120000km mostly highway gets around 43 mpg. It's just a base model with 5spd stick. Work really good. Had to timing chain replaced at 95k as well as serpentine belts should be replaced every 100k. Have also replace break lines and Oil pan at Around 110k. Also just replace alternator witch is a common thing for Honda. Changed out spark plugs And oil every 5k. Over all this car is a good reliable car no complaints mechanical wise runs like a top . As far as the interior seats are alittle stiff but are manageable. It's a fun little car and with today's gas prices I would recommend anyone of this car.

2005 Honda's - NoNo
By butler83 on 11/23/13 15:32 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Front side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 05 Van and Civic. I have been disappointed by both. The van is below average and poorly reviewed in the van section. I wrote honda and they did not stand behind their product. My Civic has been steady, but the road noise is terrible. I am really starting to hate this car and Honda. If you buy one get earplugs.

Honda Reliability? Don't think so.
By jebedmund on 08/30/13 16:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After recently dealing with the dreaded "blown head gasket" @ 105k miles, I'm stopping by Edmunds to read other's experiences. I can't believe how many people have had a blown head gasket on low mileage Civics. This is my second major complaint with the car ... the first being the air fuel sensor giving out a couple of years ago and the $400+ dealer quote on the repair. Honda should have covered both of these problems with recalls. Note to Honda marketing: *We WON'T be buying another Honda*.

Reliable? Don't believe the hype
By junkhonda on 06/13/13 18:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just back from my fourth visit to the dealer and $1800 poorer so far. Had to replace the crankshaft sensor and harness. Doesn't include the $1000 for the timing belt and maintenance they talked me into on the 1st visit. We bought into the Honda is the most reliable car on the road fantasy, 500k miles and nothing but an oil change blah blah... Ours is only at 99K. Always did all the scheduled maintenance. I almost stalled out on the highway. Try seeing how happy other drivers are when you're driving 20 mph on the 101 (for you socal drivers) Looks like the same trap we had with Ford and GM. Thing just starts falling apart at 100k/10 yr. The civic didn't even make it that far.

Excellent car but overhyped with Honda quality
By ahtoh1 on 05/19/13 09:41 AM (PDT)

Excellent car. I got is second hand in pritty good shape. A/C took $800 from me in repairs. Few other repairs that are normal for older car. Drives very good, fuel economy is excellent for old car. If you get one in good shape and the right price, it defenetely worth it.

@118,000 miles
By hiker8 on 11/27/12 08:49 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Annoyances but not necessary to fix: brake pedal pops, creaking noise from transmission when clutch pressed (difficult to lubricate), drivers seat has a little play when rocked back and forth, brake pads shift in calipers and "pop" when braking forward after braking reverse. Major problems: Head gasket replaced at dealer for $950 @ around 115,000 miles. (If you heat goes out while idling and bubbles are coming from your coolant reservoir while idling you need a head gasket). Other things: Front pads at 90k, oxygen sensor around 90k, fluids, filters tires. The good: no electrical/accessory problems, drives pretty good and smooth with the manual. Solid and reliable despite head gasket.

Overheating problems
By engs on 06/21/12 21:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use to love driving my civic. It handled well and is suppose to be a safe car. The first four years I had the car I was very happy with it. Just over 100k miles while driving my daughter and my two young grandchildren from Fl to Pa it overheated on Interstate 95 at night. that was three years ago. Since, I haven't been able to travel farther than 50 miles from home. We have had the car to many shops and they can't find the problem. You name it we replaced it. Still overheating! If you go to hondatech.com you will find this is a common problem with Honda. So next we will have the head gasket repair which may run as high as $1,500. I'm not happy with Honda and would never buy another.

Good value but some serious drawbacks
By smore on 12/12/11 02:24 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

HEAT SUX (yes thermostat has been replaced with high temp). If you live in a cold climate avoid this car. This car is loud too, it picks up an unnecessary amount of road noise. Otherwise it's a great car with great mileage and very reliable. The interior is very loud t

Good, Fun
By good12312 on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well at 90K miles now with only new front brake pads and an oxygen sensor. Car still looks and feels new, no rattles, noting falling off. With the manual I can get all the power I need. Gas mileage is 35 mpg city.