2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Poor man's hybrid
By profwho on 07/28/14 14:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought mine in 2009 for $7500 and 140,000 miles on the odometer. Now it has almost 200,000 miles and not a sneeze! The 1.3L engine is a little slow even with electric assist, but not as bad as most people think. I have no trouble merging on highway. Going up a long stretch of highway need to move to the slow lane, esp. after all the battery capacity is drained. Without A/C, the average gas mileage is pretty good, hovering between 44 to 50 MPG. In the summer, however, when it is hot outside, A/C can sap gas mileage, esp. on short local trips. On longer trips, the A/C does not drain as much energy because once the interior cools down, the A/C is not engaged as frequently.

the best looking hybrid ever built
By lam_9 on 04/19/13 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my car. I got it because of the gas prices going up and I loved the way it looked. I don't regret it. I get about 45mpg because I like to speed. It is light, small, and fun to drive. The one thing that I just don't like is when I'm driving up those crazy steep hill going to Las Vegas. I have to catch momentum and then keep it on 3rd gear.

200,000+ and still going
By nelsonoah on 03/05/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Update to my 11/19/09 review. I'm still driving it and have done nothing but regular stuff (oil/filter, brakes, tires). I now have roughly 205k miles on it. The IMA warning light came on about 1.5 years ago (around 190k miles). Honda said the hybrid battery was testing weak and needed replaced ($2,500 and 3-year/30k warranty). I decided not to replace it and to just see what it'd do. Battery doesn't keep charged up as well as it used to, but I'm still getting over 40mpg driving in town. I found a place that will put in a used battery with a 1-year guarantee for $1,275. Besides the battery, everything else seems to be in great shape.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah on 11/19/09 10:01 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

CVT Transmission
By ron on 04/29/09 03:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Owned my Honda from brand new in 2005. Gas mileage about 41 combined city/highway. I have about 80,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my CVT from the start. At 20,000 I had my fluid changed because of a grunting noise at start off. Fifteen thousands miles later the Honda replaced the clutch because of chattering they called it. It seemed to start back grunting at about 50,000. Then on an oil change they detected a motor support broken and replaced it. The grunting seemed to go away but came back soon afterward. Can't seem to get this grunting noise to go away. Has anyone ever heard or had this problem with their CVT transmission? This problems really irritates me!!!

Time for another Hybrid
By Rick W on 10/14/08 04:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have had a lot of fun with this car. Driving is fun and playful. I have figured that traveling East to West I gain 10% on mileage because of the winds generally from the West. I have gotten up to 52 mpg on the NYS Thruway eastbound and 48 westbound. Drops to 46 mpg going through the Berkshires. Lots of pep and pickup. Surprised my wife on its passing capability.

Great Car
By Donna Moore on 03/03/08 09:02 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid over two years ago. I drive 57 miles one way to work, so I needed a fuel efficient car. I have been very pleased with my Honda. I am very conservative in the way I drive. The roads I travel are narrow and winding, so the speed limit is 60MPH. I follow that and average anywhere between 44 and 47 miles per gallon. The only draw back I have seen thus far is the guard that is right under the front of the car. I cannot travel on dirt roads many times because the car hits center and knocks this piece lose. I have replaced this once, at no charge, but I am going to have to do it again and this time it is going to cost about 123.00 and labor. 80,000 miles so far

Gas Saver
By clecakes on 11/25/07 12:36 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Great dependable car. I have gotten as high as 52.9 MPG. Driving on secondary flat roads at 45-55 MPG. I never got less that 43MPG and that's with the A/C going full blast. I am getting an average of 47MPG over the past 7,000 miles. I am 6'-1" and I have plenty of head and leg room. I have no trouble keeping up with traffic at interstate speeds and the car will run along with ease at 80 MPH. Gas mileage suffers above 70MPH. Handles like a dream which makes me wonder why everyone isn't driving one. I drive it every day and with the price of gas at $3.20 per gallon this vehicle is a real money saver.

Equalizer
By Bob on 10/04/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I put on over 100 miles a day, 70 on the hwy and 30 in town. Since I bought my Honda Civic (5 speed stick) 2 months ago I have a cumulative average of 48 mpg. This has made our move out to the country make much more sense. I named the car the Equalizer.

Hybrid 2005
By beebee on 09/30/07 09:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Like everything about the car. Gets great gas mileage, about 37 mpg combined. It's a nice alternative to the Prius which has a weird display in the middle of the car. Wish the seats were softer but can always get a little cushion. I am very very happy with this car.