2005 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Savings? None!
By atcpro on 08/11/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrids fuel economy is great until you do the math on the cost to own. You're going to pay an extra 2k for the hybrid. Over five years, you'll save about $2925 in fuel. Sounds great until you have spit out $3900 for a new hybrid battery. Honda lost their case because they knew the battery had a shorter lifespan than advertised. So they were forced to extend the warranty to 9 years. Again, sounds great until find out they did an "update" at your last service visit on the battery that extends its life another year. Ironically, just enough for the warranty to be invalid. All together, you can expect to pay about 3k more than your gas guzzling neighbor. Cust. Serv. is a joke.

the best looking hybrid ever built
By lam_9 on 04/19/13 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my car. I got it because of the gas prices going up and I loved the way it looked. I don't regret it. I get about 45mpg because I like to speed. It is light, small, and fun to drive. The one thing that I just don't like is when I'm driving up those crazy steep hill going to Las Vegas. I have to catch momentum and then keep it on 3rd gear.

200,000+ and still going
By nelsonoah on 03/05/13 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Update to my 11/19/09 review. I'm still driving it and have done nothing but regular stuff (oil/filter, brakes, tires). I now have roughly 205k miles on it. The IMA warning light came on about 1.5 years ago (around 190k miles). Honda said the hybrid battery was testing weak and needed replaced ($2,500 and 3-year/30k warranty). I decided not to replace it and to just see what it'd do. Battery doesn't keep charged up as well as it used to, but I'm still getting over 40mpg driving in town. I found a place that will put in a used battery with a 1-year guarantee for $1,275. Besides the battery, everything else seems to be in great shape.

excellent hybrid
By lalala1 on 05/12/11 09:10 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My civic hybrid has been through a lot - long commutes, cross country trips, 2 high school drivers. It's still running well with over 170k miles & getting over 41mpg which is a lifesaver right now. As long as maintenance is kept up with it will last a long, long, long time! I'm expecting to drive this car for several more years, I love it.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah on 11/19/09 10:01 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

CVT Transmission
By ron on 04/29/09 03:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Owned my Honda from brand new in 2005. Gas mileage about 41 combined city/highway. I have about 80,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my CVT from the start. At 20,000 I had my fluid changed because of a grunting noise at start off. Fifteen thousands miles later the Honda replaced the clutch because of chattering they called it. It seemed to start back grunting at about 50,000. Then on an oil change they detected a motor support broken and replaced it. The grunting seemed to go away but came back soon afterward. Can't seem to get this grunting noise to go away. Has anyone ever heard or had this problem with their CVT transmission? This problems really irritates me!!!

Time for another Hybrid
By Rick W on 10/14/08 04:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have had a lot of fun with this car. Driving is fun and playful. I have figured that traveling East to West I gain 10% on mileage because of the winds generally from the West. I have gotten up to 52 mpg on the NYS Thruway eastbound and 48 westbound. Drops to 46 mpg going through the Berkshires. Lots of pep and pickup. Surprised my wife on its passing capability.

Great Car
By Donna Moore on 03/03/08 09:02 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid over two years ago. I drive 57 miles one way to work, so I needed a fuel efficient car. I have been very pleased with my Honda. I am very conservative in the way I drive. The roads I travel are narrow and winding, so the speed limit is 60MPH. I follow that and average anywhere between 44 and 47 miles per gallon. The only draw back I have seen thus far is the guard that is right under the front of the car. I cannot travel on dirt roads many times because the car hits center and knocks this piece lose. I have replaced this once, at no charge, but I am going to have to do it again and this time it is going to cost about 123.00 and labor. 80,000 miles so far

Gas Saver
By clecakes on 11/25/07 12:36 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Great dependable car. I have gotten as high as 52.9 MPG. Driving on secondary flat roads at 45-55 MPG. I never got less that 43MPG and that's with the A/C going full blast. I am getting an average of 47MPG over the past 7,000 miles. I am 6'-1" and I have plenty of head and leg room. I have no trouble keeping up with traffic at interstate speeds and the car will run along with ease at 80 MPH. Gas mileage suffers above 70MPH. Handles like a dream which makes me wonder why everyone isn't driving one. I drive it every day and with the price of gas at $3.20 per gallon this vehicle is a real money saver.

Equalizer
By Bob on 10/04/07 14:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I put on over 100 miles a day, 70 on the hwy and 30 in town. Since I bought my Honda Civic (5 speed stick) 2 months ago I have a cumulative average of 48 mpg. This has made our move out to the country make much more sense. I named the car the Equalizer.