Used 2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Perfect 2nd vehicle/Commuter Car
By 20034runner

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My primary vehicle is a 4 door 4x4 pickup and my 5 day/week commute is a 57 mile round trip. I needed a commuter car. I bought my '05 Si (EP3) in March of 2010 w/ a documented 70k miles of near-perfect maintenance; 3 years later and 40k more miles, I have no complaints. Happily uses 87 octane and and with my VERY heavy foot, it still gets no less than 27 mpg of mixed driving (30-31 on a highway trip.) I've found it likes Pennzoil Synthetic blend oil the best for both performance and MPGs. Completed the 100k service, new iridium plugs, coolant flush and serpentine belt (no timing belt to replace in these) and I easily expect another 100k on this car. Love the cargo room too!

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for me at 6'1", and perfect reach for dash-mounted shifter. Nice to have the shifter mounted close to the shifter to keep both hands on steering wheel as much as possible. Seats are very supportive, though fabric is quite worn with being 8+ years old. Hatch is so nice for having the option to haul large objects or 4 people. Great handling, despite a bit of body roll. Stiffer coilovers would make a world of difference on this car, but for a daily driver it's near-perfect. LOVE that it runs on 87 octane unlike the '06 and newer premium-fuel-dependent Si coupes and sedans!!

Suggested Improvements

All leather front seats for better durability. A 6th gear would've helped to improve highway MPGs to the mid 30s. Steering wheel mounted audio controls would've been great. I'm not a fan of front wheel drive, so I will be upgrading the front to a Helical limited slip differential. Not cheap but necessary in my opinion. More power would be nice, but not at the expense of diminished MPGs or more expensive fuel. This is all very "nitpicky" stuff though. It's a fantastic, fun-to-drive 2nd vehicle that serves perfect as a fairly economical commuter that I bought as a 2nd owner for less than $10k. Great job Honda!

My SI
By Isemaidn

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't done this before, but am very impressed with my Honda SI. Not only is it fun to drive (and I love where the gear shift is) but it is reliable. I haven't had any mechanical issues, unlike my VW Jetta diesel. The road noise is a little high, but with my muffler, I accept that as being my option. I only wish it was 4 door, instead of 2. With two small nephews that I constantly drive with, it is hard to get them in their car seats. I give this car an A+. Honda did an awesome job and stands behind their workmanship (so far). It drives well on the snow, as I live in the AK. Job well done, Honda!

Favorite Features

Gear shift, seats, easy to read odometer...

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and side mirror.

Fun and Smart! Who Knew?
By Sheryl

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is absolutely the best overall car I've ever owned (40- something... I've had a few). It's fun, fast, economical, and rates fairly well for the environment for a non-hybrid. I'm delighted with the performance and dependability, and find the design unique. As an event coordinator, I haul a lot of gear, and am continually amazed at how much we can fit in this bad boy! It's just the bomb!

Favorite Features

Shifter on dash, accelleration, 27-30 mpg, cargo area, size, cruise, handling on wet roads (with good tires), and style.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 and more powerful stereo.

Feel like a kid again
By Ed.Chicago

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car, would cry if something happened to it. Feel like I'm in high school again with my first car. Great acceleration, huge cargo space when rear seats are folded down, rally shifter works wonderfully, good stock radio and lots of aftermarket parts if you ever want to go faster. Feels a lot faster than 160 Hp, think they under- rated the engine.

Favorite Features

Shifter, acceleration, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Not much. Arm rest. MP3 radio player.

Honda from here on out!
By tentoto

2005 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Honda has done it again. Wish i could afford another one.These cars are awesome. I've owned Honda products for 11 years, and the Civic Si is More fun to drive than any other Honda ive owned before. No more domestics for me. Oh and 18 members of the family as well. Thank you again Honda.

Favorite Features

Sporty good looks,4 wheels disc brakes, Interior,Wedge front looks,Interior design.Will give follow-up at 250,000 miles.see ya then.

Suggested Improvements

Mp3 player would be nice.