Used 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it. At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

I would suggest having a coolant system that works. Why does the air conditioner compressor turn on when the defroster is on?! There's an AC on/off button for that reason. There's no need to make the engine work harder just to defrost my windshield. Just like everything...a brand going downhill due to cheap shortcuts and shoddy workmanship. Also, there is less leg room in the 2005 compared to the 2000. I'm 5'10" so a couple of inches makes a differences. Stopping making dashboards so dam.n intrusive.

Love my civic
By Ray

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Best car Ive ever owned. I wanted a 5 speed trans in the newport blue color and thats what I got. I wanted a sunroof and glad I have it. This car gets awesome gas mileage and is fun to drive. I haven't had a single problem with it.

I love my sunroof and the gear shift but my favorite would have to be the 6 cd changer. Never thought id like it as much as I do

more horsepower is the only problem but you could move up to the si now if you want but in this model over all I think the ex special edition is the best

nice car for the $
By jj

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car over all, bought it brand new. now 2008 have about 49k miles. No problems. Haven't changed brakes yet, but it's coming. Great car overall.

6 cd/mp3 in dash. mpg

Wonderful car, but...
By Durer

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Honda Civic EX Special Edition Coupe is a really terrific sporty little car, but it's missing just one thing... oomph! I mean, it zips around just fine, vroom, vroom, and all that, but when you put your foot down, and I mean really put your foot down, it just doesn't respond like you want it to. I, personally, think a little sport coupe like this should throw you back in your seat and take off like a bat out of hell when you punch it, but the Civic just doesn't. Other than that, though, it's a totally terrific vehicle, thumbs up and 4-stars all the way

Looks great!

More horsepower!

The worst car I ever owned
By Daniel Allentown, Pa

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

You have heard about the Honda Civic lasting forever... think again. This has been the worst car I have ever purchased. My problems all began when I had to take the vehicle to get the rotors resurfaced at 7800 miles. They told me it was because of wear-and-tear. BULL. I had to replace the rotors three times w/in 50000 miles. I had to get the carpet inside replaced twice because it was getting a hole under the clutch because there was a piece of metal underneath that was not smooth. I also had to replace the button and locking mechanism for the lever that opens the trunk and the gas cap. That happened twice. The worst was when I tried to unlock it and the whole thing came out.

The only thing I liked about the car was that the speed was great. It accelerated well. I wish Honda would have been more reasonable and helped us more. I finally decided to get rid of it.

They should use better parts. The last thing to happen to my Civic was, my girl was driving home from work one day and the muffler fell off the car. Snapped in a complete circle from the catalytic back.