Used 2005 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 105 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Excellant purchase!!!
By browntown101

2005 Honda Civic Coupe Value Package 2dr Coupe w/Front Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought mine used at ~111k, and I have put another 100k on it in four years. This has been a fantastic and reliable runner, it is easy to work on, takes nearly no maintenance, is very economical to own and operate, and with the 5 speed manual transmission, is a lot of fun. Highly recommended to anyone who wants something that is sound, cheap, and fun. I am very satisfied, and plan to run this one until life dictates I need something different, or until the wheels come off this one (but lets be real, I won't live that long!). Not recommended for a family car, or for those who have a hard time getting in and out, or those who haul a lot of bulky cargo, and no, it is not the best suspension, biggest motor, fastest car, however --- that's not why anyone buys a Honda Civic... It will (and has) hold up very well for commuting, travel, everyday use, work, fun, college, grad school and about anything else that you can throw at it. And good god it is nimble!

Very Reliable. Can't get rid of it!
By Eli

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After breaking 140,000 plus miles, I had to replace the alternator, ball joints, oil pressure switch and camshaft sensor. Besides these minor repairs, I change the motor oil every 3,000 miles, transmission oil every 20,000 miles, and the drive belts every 60,000 miles. I had to change the breaks about three times since the life of this vehicle, purchased back in 2005 with 4,000 miles on it. Overall, excellent reliable car. I still drive it every day to work, 60 miles round trip. I will only get rid of it once the new 2016 Civic Coup becomes available.

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it.
At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

I would suggest having a coolant system that works. Why does the air conditioner compressor turn on when the defroster is on?! There's an AC on/off button for that reason. There's no need to make the engine work harder just to defrost my windshield. Just like everything...a brand going downhill due to cheap shortcuts and shoddy workmanship. Also, there is less leg room in the 2005 compared to the 2000. I'm 5'10" so a couple of inches makes a differences. Stopping making dashboards so dam.n intrusive.

Blew Head Gasket in Early Life, Great Reliability After
By mrsheng

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used back in 2008 when it had around 30K mileage.
My car was particularly unique because it had dealer installed custom interior seats and door panels (black faux leather vinyl).

As far as reliability and build quality, I rated it 3 out of 5.
My car blew a head gasket at 40K miles.
I don't know what caused it, but my only guess was the thermostat.
After much research online, it was a common problem.
I wonder if Honda had irregular thermostats installed in their Civics.
Anyways, after I took my car to the dealership for repair...the car has been working great ever since. 115K miles going strong and engine still sounds great.

This car was great! but boring as ever!
By jrx45x

2005 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car about a year ago, and i tell you now, this is the best car out there....for reliability....It got me from point A to point B everytime. I was at 80k miles and never had a check engine light or any problem at all, and i ragged on that little engine..It got great gas mileage. I filled up every other week and i was a teenager at the time so i was everywhere pedal to the floor.

But let me tell you before you buy it...I got to the point where this car was so boring for me...so slow for me that i went and bought a Volkswagen GTI..ya it breaks alot but its way more worth it then my civic ever was because i have fun everytime i drive!

But Honda really is the best Company ever.

Car didnt have many features. it was actually very bland on the inside. Just your basic car.

Radio...new engine haha but dont buy the car because you want to have fun with it.. buy it to save gas and never have to replace a thing.