Used 2005 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it. At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

I would suggest having a coolant system that works. Why does the air conditioner compressor turn on when the defroster is on?! There's an AC on/off button for that reason. There's no need to make the engine work harder just to defrost my windshield. Just like everything...a brand going downhill due to cheap shortcuts and shoddy workmanship. Also, there is less leg room in the 2005 compared to the 2000. I'm 5'10" so a couple of inches makes a differences. Stopping making dashboards so dam.n intrusive.

Blew Head Gasket in Early Life, Great Reliability After
By mrsheng

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used back in 2008 when it had around 30K mileage. My car was particularly unique because it had dealer installed custom interior seats and door panels (black faux leather vinyl). As far as reliability and build quality, I rated it 3 out of 5. My car blew a head gasket at 40K miles. I don't know what caused it, but my only guess was the thermostat. After much research online, it was a common problem. I wonder if Honda had irregular thermostats installed in their Civics. Anyways, after I took my car to the dealership for repair...the car has been working great ever since. 115K miles going strong and engine still sounds great.

This car was great! but boring as ever!
By jrx45x

2005 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car about a year ago, and i tell you now, this is the best car out there....for reliability....It got me from point A to point B everytime. I was at 80k miles and never had a check engine light or any problem at all, and i ragged on that little engine..It got great gas mileage. I filled up every other week and i was a teenager at the time so i was everywhere pedal to the floor. But let me tell you before you buy it...I got to the point where this car was so boring for me...so slow for me that i went and bought a Volkswagen GTI..ya it breaks alot but its way more worth it then my civic ever was because i have fun everytime i drive! But Honda really is the best Company ever.

Car didnt have many features. it was actually very bland on the inside. Just your basic car.

Radio...new engine haha but dont buy the car because you want to have fun with it.. buy it to save gas and never have to replace a thing.

I totalled my Honda, it saved my life.
By chelsb

2005 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

I was going over 100kph (60mph) in my little 2005 Honda Civic Coupe. I was drowsy and noticed I was going off the shoulder too late. I over corrected and fish tailed twice. I lost control around the turn, spun and slammed along the guard rail in my lane a couple times before making my full 360. I broke two guard rail posts and pushed it out to about 3 feet. I broke bumpers, my axle, [violative content deleted] my unibody and the whole drivers side of my car. But she kept me safe and secure the entire time, the frame taking the blow for me. I only have slight neck pain the next day. Everything mechanical even still works, engine is pristine. Thank you Honda.. I will be repurchasing, maybe a fit.

It actually had a great sound system

I loved everything about this car. It lived up to and passed my expectations.

Great car
By Eppsinic

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Honda civic 1.7 liter now for more than a year. This car is not just comfy and looks slick but has amazing gas mileage. My average mileage is 39 miles to the gallon.I have put almost 30,000 miles on it in a single year and doesn't drive any different then when I bought it.

If the car had more power to it, the mpg is great, don't get me wrong but the acceleration on this car is all that is lacking.