2005 Honda Civic Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo on 12/06/13 17:53 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it. At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

Blew Head Gasket in Early Life, Great Reliability After
By mrsheng on 11/25/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used back in 2008 when it had around 30K mileage. My car was particularly unique because it had dealer installed custom interior seats and door panels (black faux leather vinyl). As far as reliability and build quality, I rated it 3 out of 5. My car blew a head gasket at 40K miles. I don't know what caused it, but my only guess was the thermostat. After much research online, it was a common problem. I wonder if Honda had irregular thermostats installed in their Civics. Anyways, after I took my car to the dealership for repair...the car has been working great ever since. 115K miles going strong and engine still sounds great.

This car was great! but boring as ever!
By jrx45x on 07/18/12 14:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car about a year ago, and i tell you now, this is the best car out there....for reliability....It got me from point A to point B everytime. I was at 80k miles and never had a check engine light or any problem at all, and i ragged on that little engine..It got great gas mileage. I filled up every other week and i was a teenager at the time so i was everywhere pedal to the floor. But let me tell you before you buy it...I got to the point where this car was so boring for me...so slow for me that i went and bought a Volkswagen GTI..ya it breaks alot but its way more worth it then my civic ever was because i have fun everytime i drive! But Honda really is the best Company ever.

I totalled my Honda, it saved my life.
By chelsb on 08/19/11 05:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

I was going over 100kph (60mph) in my little 2005 Honda Civic Coupe. I was drowsy and noticed I was going off the shoulder too late. I over corrected and fish tailed twice. I lost control around the turn, spun and slammed along the guard rail in my lane a couple times before making my full 360. I broke two guard rail posts and pushed it out to about 3 feet. I broke bumpers, my axle, [violative content deleted] my unibody and the whole drivers side of my car. But she kept me safe and secure the entire time, the frame taking the blow for me. I only have slight neck pain the next day. Everything mechanical even still works, engine is pristine. Thank you Honda.. I will be repurchasing, maybe a fit.

Great car
By Eppsinic on 10/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Honda civic 1.7 liter now for more than a year. This car is not just comfy and looks slick but has amazing gas mileage. My average mileage is 39 miles to the gallon.I have put almost 30,000 miles on it in a single year and doesn't drive any different then when I bought it.

Nice Economical Car
By kurisu on 04/23/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2005. It has 75,000 miles. Only thing I've done on it is replace engine mount ($250); oil change, and replace tires. I've done Honda's recommended service at 30K and 50K. I have not changed the brakes yet or had any major repairs. The car gets excellent gas mileage. The car is very reliable and economical to drive. This car should not be thought of as a luxury car, but more as a practical car.

Love my civic
By Ray on 01/29/10 16:44 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Best car Ive ever owned. I wanted a 5 speed trans in the newport blue color and thats what I got. I wanted a sunroof and glad I have it. This car gets awesome gas mileage and is fun to drive. I haven't had a single problem with it.

Just What it's supposed to be
By Flordia Car on 01/13/10 08:16 AM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe Value Package 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this one owner car when it was two years old for only ten grand with only 14k miles on it. I wanted a work car that had nothing to break and was lamenting that base models no longer existed when I learned about the VP. I love rolling up and down the windows knowing that there are no motors to fail there or in the seats or door locks. It's an old school econo car with the most reliable combustible gas engine ever made under the hood & no headaches. I am certain to get 200-300k miles. Highly recommended

Best car ever made!
By Stinky on 08/25/09 05:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe Value Package 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Got 60K miles on it, never done anything but change the oil. Has never missed a beat, everything still works perfectly, no rattles or problems ever. I cannot imagine a better car.

Works great!
By excowdoc on 06/22/09 09:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Coupe HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 100,000 miles on the stick shift Civic and very little problems. The best mileage I got was 52 highway with the wind at my back. Consistently gets in the 40s except in very cold weather. The gear shift is its weakest point with occasional difficulties getting into reverse and the mechanics say is just the way this transmission is. I plan on running it into the ground because of the great mileage.