2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
38-40 MPG
By Paul on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great MPG (38-40 consistently), seems to allow the driver and passengers to sit higher than in other cars, which, in addition to the large windows (something I did not appreciate until driving other cars) make the car comfortable and easy to drive.

2005 Honda Civic EX is a tin can
By Quality isn't there on 08/01/10 22:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

2005 Honda Civic ex special edition has ridiculously thin metal and a lot of plastic. So thin that you can easily put your foot through the car. The car only has two front air bags, so this definitely isn't a safe car. This car gets bad mileage and suffers from a number of engineering problems. The automatic choke comes on every time you start the car -- even if you don't need it and you can't shut it off until the car moves. In addition, the choke is too strong and just sucks fuel. Also 5th speed doesn't drop rpm sufficiently and you end up getting poor mileage at the higher speed. You are lucky to get 34 highway, while the 2001 Civic ex automatic got 36. This car should get 38.

Happy Customer!
By MelissaW on 05/26/09 20:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for a few months now and I have had absolutely no problems. I purchased the vehicle with 53,000 miles and I now have around 59,000. I have been averaging 32-35 miles per gallon (all highway).

Good Car
By Driver on 04/25/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Has been a good car, good ride and handling. Good paint, fit and finish.

Best In Class for The Money
By Joe McCain on 11/13/08 18:52 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car is incredible. Bought it new in late 2004. 5 speed with 112,000 miles and I still get 36-39 mpg. Super stereo and rides good. Perfect for commuting. Will go 80 + mph easy on highway with no problems. Interior finishes are good and car can handles four (regular sized) adults. Have had NO problems at all. It's my fourth Honda and I am convinced, for the money, Honda is the leader in the value / mileage category. Reliable / quality... this small car has it all.

A Gas-Sipping Treasure
By danho76 on 06/05/08 22:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Certified '05 Civic EX SE A/T with 9,000 miles via Ebay. I drove it 650 miles back home and it was a pleasure. The ergonomics of the controls are stellar; the comfort of the seats superb, and the driving experience a pleasure. I averaged well over 40 MPG on the freeways; I am averaging well over 30 MPG around town. I love the sound system and head unit on the SE; I also like the leather-wrapped steering wheel & the spoiler. All the controls are intuitive & easy to use. The ride is supple yet the car is eager and willing through corners. Fit & finish are impeccable both inside the car and outside. Even with the automatic transmission, the car is peppy.

Better Than I expected!
By Margaret on 05/16/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've always driven large vehicles - Jeep Grand and big Dodge Truck - switching to a smaller "car" was a huge step and it turned out that I made the right choice with the Honda Civic. It meets all of my expectations. I'm a realtor and my clients approve!

Best Little Compact
By Pulnteeth on 06/05/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

If you remember the commercial about the guy that was going to live in his car of a week. I have topped that in this Civic. My mom, niece and I took a 6500 mile road trip across 18 states in 11 days. I did most of the driving and I'm about 6'1, I was comfortable the entire time. We averaged about 37 miles to the gallon and were fully loaded (heavy enough to see how low the back was) driving through the mountians it still handled better than I ever could have asked for. We also have a 2004 Civic VP and have never had any problem with either car in any way.

Quality economy car, fun to drive
By Nate on 03/13/07 14:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We gave up our big cushy Olds Aurora when we got the '05 Civic EX SE. I've not once regretted it. Reliable is an understatement, as it has not once had an issues. It just runs and runs well. The 5-speed manual is really peppy and is probably the biggest reason that I enjoy driving this car. Fuel economy is around 32 mpg with a pretty even mix of city/highway miles. The interior is considerably more comfortable than any other economy car I've used. We have Corollas and Cavaliers at work and they are cheap feeling in comparison. The interior and trunk were designed well. The family rides comfortably and the golf clubs easily fit in the trunk! With snow tires, it handles winter well.

Dependable/Fun Car
By Amanda on 10/29/05 14:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Honda Civic EX special edition 4door manual is a really fun car to drive. The interior of the vehicle is also extremely nice. I have only noticed a few minor things that I don't like. For example the paint on the front bumper is peeling but other than that problem it's a great car. I can't wait to get another one.