Used 2005 Honda Civic HX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Works great!
By excowdoc

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 100,000 miles on the stick shift Civic and very little problems. The best mileage I got was 52 highway with the wind at my back. Consistently gets in the 40s except in very cold weather. The gear shift is its weakest point with occasional difficulties getting into reverse and the mechanics say is just the way this transmission is. I plan on running it into the ground because of the great mileage.

Favorite Features

Mileage, low cost of ownership

Great Gas Mileage
By Had to Have a Honda

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Daughter bought this car new and it now is just passing 30,000 miles. Drove it back and forth to college, and we are very comfortable in knowing that since it's a Honda, it will give her years of dependable driving as she gets settled in her career. Had a problem with the cruise when she first got it, but was covered by warranty. Gas mileage is excellent! 40 city/45 highway. Had AC installed at the dealer. No complaints with the car at all. Put new tires on it recently, so she's good to go till she hits 100K. Don't see too many HX models on the road, but hers was reasonably priced and worth the investment.

Favorite Features

Liked how Honda pulled a few EX features into this model. The wheels are beautiful. Gas mileage can't be beat for a gas powered vehicle. Like all the standard safety features.

HX is great and it's not a hybrid
By Artycat

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little car so far. I just bought new for the first time in 15 years. I had been driving a '96 Olds Ciera with the V-6. The HX has more power and is heck of lot more fun than the Olds. I got it for fuel economy. I can't stand what gas is costing but I didn't want to spend what a hybrid costs. (We're cheap in my family.) Anyway, love the little thing; I wish I could've gotten green but white will do. It's the 5 speed manual which is fun after the "old lady" Olds. It's also a heck of lot easier to drive than my last new vehicle which was a '90 Toyota Pickup with 4 speed and 4 cylinders. Love this car so far. I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Cute alloy wheels. Roll down windows -- I paid $600 to fix one power window in my Olds about a year ago. Real nice build quality everything fits together well. It feels safer and surer than the Olds. I got the side air bags to help with safety; these are worth the extra money.

Suggested Improvements

Better TIRES the Dunlop SP20FEs are garbage. I'll have to spring for new ones before the snow flies. Oh, better cup holders with adjustable sizes -- I like very large drinks.

Make an EX EXtra Special
By Kenneth Lichtig

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I will be purchasing a 2005 Civic Hybrid 3Q05. This is the most refined Civic in the history of the Civics. It is not a perfect car by no means. The SI 160 hp should be offered as an option because 127 hp is too anemic climbing the passes in Los Angeles.Acura sells a version in Canada called the EL. The EL has accord style taillights. You can get leather interior,fog lamps,heated seats and wood trimed as standard equipment on the Touring Model.The EX buyer should also have these choices of factory leather, fog lamps or wood trimed dash.We have a 02 Civic EX which will be my wife's car when we purchase the hybrid model later this year.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage- climate control on the hybrid- radio antennae on the roof on the hybrid- best styled small car-high resale value-

Suggested Improvements

offer an option of leather seats as a factory option or designate a model that leather is standard like the Acura EL in Canada.

A Good Fuel Efficient Vehicle
By M.Satterfield

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I like this car for the gas mileage and the cost of ownership. The car is rated 36/44 city/hwy; I am getting 40- 42 mpg in suburban driving. The 5spd stick shift is very smooth and is fine as long as you're not dealing with bumper to bumper type driving. Get the CVT model if you deal with gridlock! This is a great little run- about suburban type car. Plenty of power on the low end if you need it; it has a VTEC engine. I like the fact this car is giving me 40-42 mpg with proven "old" technology. The car is noisy. It could use some better sound proofing. The front seats could be a bit wider as well and also raise up a bit. The gear shift knob is a bit too small for me.

Favorite Features

1. Instrumentation panel is very nice and easy to see; adjustable lighting day or night. 2. Silky smooth shifting 5 speed transmission. 3. Surprising power on the low end for get up and go. 4. Surprising number of options for such a basic car. 5. Great milege without having to buy a hybrid!

Suggested Improvements

1. More soundproofing/deading. 2. Wider front seats. 3. Bigger gear shift for those with larger hands! 4. Offer small fuel efficient vehicles like this with loads of options like power windows, heated leater seats ,etc.