2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
What causes the car to jerk
By kojow on 05/20/14 09:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Honda but recently it started jerking when driving between 20-40km/hour. Can anyone assist with an antidote to this problem?

2005 civic dx
By algu on 01/22/14 18:14 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car just over a year ago with 90000km on it. Now has 120000km mostly highway gets around 43 mpg. It's just a base model with 5spd stick. Work really good. Had to timing chain replaced at 95k as well as serpentine belts should be replaced every 100k. Have also replace break lines and Oil pan at Around 110k. Also just replace alternator witch is a common thing for Honda. Changed out spark plugs And oil every 5k. Over all this car is a good reliable car no complaints mechanical wise runs like a top . As far as the interior seats are alittle stiff but are manageable. It's a fun little car and with today's gas prices I would recommend anyone of this car.

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo on 12/06/13 17:53 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it. At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

2005 Honda's - NoNo
By butler83 on 11/23/13 15:32 PM (PST)

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Front side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 05 Van and Civic. I have been disappointed by both. The van is below average and poorly reviewed in the van section. I wrote honda and they did not stand behind their product. My Civic has been steady, but the road noise is terrible. I am really starting to hate this car and Honda. If you buy one get earplugs.

Honda Reliability? Don't think so.
By jebedmund on 08/30/13 16:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After recently dealing with the dreaded "blown head gasket" @ 105k miles, I'm stopping by Edmunds to read other's experiences. I can't believe how many people have had a blown head gasket on low mileage Civics. This is my second major complaint with the car ... the first being the air fuel sensor giving out a couple of years ago and the $400+ dealer quote on the repair. Honda should have covered both of these problems with recalls. Note to Honda marketing: *We WON'T be buying another Honda*.

Savings? None!
By atcpro on 08/11/13 09:38 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The hybrids fuel economy is great until you do the math on the cost to own. You're going to pay an extra 2k for the hybrid. Over five years, you'll save about $2925 in fuel. Sounds great until you have spit out $3900 for a new hybrid battery. Honda lost their case because they knew the battery had a shorter lifespan than advertised. So they were forced to extend the warranty to 9 years. Again, sounds great until find out they did an "update" at your last service visit on the battery that extends its life another year. Ironically, just enough for the warranty to be invalid. All together, you can expect to pay about 3k more than your gas guzzling neighbor. Cust. Serv. is a joke.

Reliable? Don't believe the hype
By junkhonda on 06/13/13 18:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just back from my fourth visit to the dealer and $1800 poorer so far. Had to replace the crankshaft sensor and harness. Doesn't include the $1000 for the timing belt and maintenance they talked me into on the 1st visit. We bought into the Honda is the most reliable car on the road fantasy, 500k miles and nothing but an oil change blah blah... Ours is only at 99K. Always did all the scheduled maintenance. I almost stalled out on the highway. Try seeing how happy other drivers are when you're driving 20 mph on the 101 (for you socal drivers) Looks like the same trap we had with Ford and GM. Thing just starts falling apart at 100k/10 yr. The civic didn't even make it that far.

Excellent car but overhyped with Honda quality
By ahtoh1 on 05/19/13 09:41 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Front side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent car. I got is second hand in pritty good shape. A/C took $800 from me in repairs. Few other repairs that are normal for older car. Drives very good, fuel economy is excellent for old car. If you get one in good shape and the right price, it defenetely worth it.

the best looking hybrid ever built
By lam_9 on 04/19/13 23:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my car. I got it because of the gas prices going up and I loved the way it looked. I don't regret it. I get about 45mpg because I like to speed. It is light, small, and fun to drive. The one thing that I just don't like is when I'm driving up those crazy steep hill going to Las Vegas. I have to catch momentum and then keep it on 3rd gear.

Perfect 2nd vehicle/Commuter Car
By 20034runner on 04/01/13 07:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My primary vehicle is a 4 door 4x4 pickup and my 5 day/week commute is a 57 mile round trip. I needed a commuter car. I bought my '05 Si (EP3) in March of 2010 w/ a documented 70k miles of near-perfect maintenance; 3 years later and 40k more miles, I have no complaints. Happily uses 87 octane and and with my VERY heavy foot, it still gets no less than 27 mpg of mixed driving (30-31 on a highway trip.) I've found it likes Pennzoil Synthetic blend oil the best for both performance and MPGs. Completed the 100k service, new iridium plugs, coolant flush and serpentine belt (no timing belt to replace in these) and I easily expect another 100k on this car. Love the cargo room too!