Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 398 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

This car dependable and affordable
By JanG

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great gas mileage. roomy and comfortable.

Total dissapointment
By Nevermore

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I was expecting this car to last for many miles without major problems. It just recently reached 97,000 miles and the automatic transmission was making noise. It turns out the final drive (aka differential) bearings are shot. Since this is deep in the transmission, the transmission essentially will need to be rebuilt at a cost of approximately $2600 if the final drive itself is not damaged. This car was conservatively driven and maintained meticulously and it is really upsetting that it now needs a major repair like this at a relatively moderate mileage. There is no replaceable fluid filter in the transmission and therefore no way to give it proper maintenance short of changing the fluid. I feel this is a major flaw and is a guarantee for failure.
There has been no help from the dealer nor Honda. The dealer and Honda refused to put in any effort to see if there is any remedy for me and gave me the impression they don't care.
The other issue is the front brakes on this car do not last more than 12K miles. There is nothing apparently wrong with the braking system yet the brake pads wear out prematurely.
This would be a great car if it would have lasted longer but it seems I could have done better with a less expensive car.
Based on my experience, this model is highly overrated. I'll never buy another Honda again.
I have since sold the car and have my sights set on a Toyota.

Great Little Car!
By Kimyung

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car from 82K to 135K miles. I had the stick shift model. I would have kept it too, but I got rear ended and they totaled the car out. I didn't do anything to the car besides a tune up and basic maintenance. I'm really happy with my experience with this car. The AC compressor started to go towards the end. I've only driven Hondas my whole life and I have had it happen a couple of times. I wish I didn't get hit, I'd still be driving this little car.

Very Reliable. Can't get rid of it!
By Eli

2005 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After breaking 140,000 plus miles, I had to replace the alternator, ball joints, oil pressure switch and camshaft sensor. Besides these minor repairs, I change the motor oil every 3,000 miles, transmission oil every 20,000 miles, and the drive belts every 60,000 miles. I had to change the breaks about three times since the life of this vehicle, purchased back in 2005 with 4,000 miles on it. Overall, excellent reliable car. I still drive it every day to work, 60 miles round trip. I will only get rid of it once the new 2016 Civic Coup becomes available.

It pays for itself in time and money saved!
By Ray

2005 Honda Civic GX w/ABS 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car in November 2014 from a dealer for a slightly high price of $10,000. The reason being the condition and mileage of the car, it was like buying a 2 year old car even though it was almost 10 tears old! The car was immaculate, owned by UCLA University in Los Angeles, California, and had been fleet maintained since new. I was already familiar with NGV vehicles, having driven one in my job, so I had no qualms about buying it. The car had only 30,800 miles and I have now driven it 15,000 trouble-free miles in 9 months! The Pros; I average 35 mpg's in traffic and I pay $1.85 a ggl for natural gas at the local city yard, $1.46 a ggl at the neighboring city yard and...the price is stable, doesn't fluctuate like gasoline prices. Also, in California, I get to use the HOV lanes without a passenger AND, some toll roads are free to use for us "greenies". Now the Cons; The fuel tanks are huge and take up a large amount of the trunks but, this a commuter car, not a travel car although some people have used it for that purpose. Although the tanks appear huge, they only hold the equivalent of 6.5 gallons of gasoline and so your mileage between fill ups is reduced to between 150 miles and maximum 200 miles, depending on your driving habits. The car interiors for this model year GX is pretty Spartan at best. Although it does have A/C, am/fm/cd, power windows, steering, and brakes, that's pretty much it! No navi, no leather, no tinted windows, no sunroof, no nothing else unlike the newer GX models. In all, I have to say that it is a great commuter car that gets you from point A to point B quickly and cheaply.