Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

What was I thinking?!
By slcarter81

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

So the pros for this vehicle are: great gas mileage and comfort. After reading the reviews, perhaps I purchased a lemon but I will never recommend this car to anyone. 15 minutes after driving this car off the lot, all my lights came on. Fortunately the dealership replaced the hybrid battery. I have had to change the sensors and now it is burning oil. There is NO pick up in this vehicle. If you live in the mountains, do not buy this car. Every one will be passing you! After about a year of having this car, I am in the market for a new vehicle.

Favorite Features

mileage

DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE HONDA NAME! nothing but problems
By sfus1989

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My 05 civic has been NOTHING but problems! I got it at 90,000 miles and on my way home the thermostat went and the oil pan had to be replaced. Then something seemed wrong with the acceleration so I took it to my uncle who is a mechanic (aka I know he is not going to screw me) and I found out the timing belt had to be replaced, They all Do at 90,000 fyi. Then from there the front hub bearings had to be replaced because the sound was atrocious and grinding. THEN the OEM gas cap was faulty and the check engine light came on, so I bought a new one and found out that the check engine light was the alternator AND cat convertor needed to be replaced. HONDA RELIABILITY? Ill stick with Toyota!

Favorite Features

Exterior Looks Roomy Back Seat Attractive Gage Cluster

Poor man's hybrid
By profwho

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought mine in 2009 for $7500 and 140,000 miles on the odometer. Now it has almost 200,000 miles and not a sneeze! The 1.3L engine is a little slow even with electric assist, but not as bad as most people think. I have no trouble merging on highway. Going up a long stretch of highway need to move to the slow lane, esp. after all the battery capacity is drained. Without A/C, the average gas mileage is pretty good, hovering between 44 to 50 MPG. In the summer, however, when it is hot outside, A/C can sap gas mileage, esp. on short local trips. On longer trips, the A/C does not drain as much energy because once the interior cools down, the A/C is not engaged as frequently.

Favorite Features

I really like manual transmission, and have a small family to haul. This is the best combination of gas mileage, fun factor, practicality and cost.

Suggested Improvements

More efficient A/C compressor. This car has a mechanical (not electric) A/C compressor that requires the gas engine running. But it is a decade old technology, probably still pretty good and competitive compared to other cars of the same age.

What causes the car to jerk
By kojow

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Honda but recently it started jerking when driving between 20-40km/hour. Can anyone assist with an antidote to this problem?

2005 civic dx
By algu

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car just over a year ago with 90000km on it. Now has 120000km mostly highway gets around 43 mpg. It's just a base model with 5spd stick. Work really good. Had to timing chain replaced at 95k as well as serpentine belts should be replaced every 100k. Have also replace break lines and Oil pan at Around 110k. Also just replace alternator witch is a common thing for Honda. Changed out spark plugs And oil every 5k. Over all this car is a good reliable car no complaints mechanical wise runs like a top . As far as the interior seats are alittle stiff but are manageable. It's a fun little car and with today's gas prices I would recommend anyone of this car.

Favorite Features

Standard transmission .4 cylinder engine.small tire size

Suggested Improvements

Not so stiff seats.seats don't slide back enough. Brighter headlights. A/c in all models