2004 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Hybrid in disguise

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Hybrid Sedan (1.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual)

Hybrid in disguise
By illili on

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car because I commute too many miles a week for a 4.0 v6 to cut it. I drove the car back from Chesapeake VA to the top corner of Pennsylvania and it drove wonderfully. The gas mileage is superb; I get mid-upper 40's in my area (This will vary greatly for anyone looking to buy one based on elevation changes on driving route, habits, ethanol in gas, etc.) during the dead of winter. The comfort is just about the same as my truck, however I'm more into functionality than luxury when it comes to vehicles, so if you need clouds to sit on, this isn't your car. The car has little passing power unless you shift down a few gears, but that's not what it's designed for.

The gas mileage is wonderful. The engine is whisper quiet, however to be fair before this I never owned a car that was newer than 1994. The dash is a very simple, yet effective way of relaying data to the driver. The 5-spd is awesome, shame they got rid of it in later models.

My car is a tad difficult to get into reverse, not sure whether it's because reverse isn't synchronized or it's a pre-existing problem. I would like a firmer clutch pedal, I can push this one with my finger. Better under coating for the body, I live up north so the salt will take its toll if I don't undercoat it myself this spring. I would think that Honda should either make their hybrid lighter to allow the 1.3 liter to be more effective (like the insight), or make the electric motor and engine slightly larger to compensate for the weight to power ratio. But, it's supposed to look like a normal car and be a hybrid, and it does this pretty darn well.