2004 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Good for trips

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Value Package Sedan (1.7L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

Good for trips
By sjc355VT on

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car on trips, but I should've gotten a 5 speed! I live where we have 8% grade mountains that I sometimes have to go down in winter. Most economy cars even in automatic have a 1st gear option that you can manually put the car into. This does NOT! And the fact that there are no ABS brakes means pumping the brakes on straight-aways then hoping you don't slide across the corner off the mountain. It's scary. I love this car, but that is reason enough for me to get something with 1st gear as an option. Also on dry straight-aways I tried it in 2nd gear and it didn't stay where it should - it picked up speed! Hello!

Great mileage. Nothing will break with crank Windows. Trunk and passenger space. Comfortable place to put feet when driving.

In the automatic version put a 1st gear manual option. Why bother with 3rd, most people would need 2nd and 1st, especially going down snow covered mountains!