2004 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Cross-country Gas Miser

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Hybrid Sedan (1.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid 5-speed Manual)

Cross-country Gas Miser
By P. Arthur Smith on

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I recently took an 8,850 mile business trip. I carried about 200 pounds of luggage, and up to 300 pounds of boxed materials. I weigh about 210. I averaged 46.5 MPG, and had two tanks through at over 60 MPG. About 2/3 of the trip was on the freeway, and 1/3 in crowded two-lane traffic. There was absolutely no drama in the drive. I dodged aggressive drivers and dead animals. I drove in desert heat, Rocky Mountain cold and driving Okla-Texas rain. No problem. It is a lightweight and I had to constantly pay attention to keep it from jittering around. The acceleration is good and it maintains freeway speed. The Honda dealership is providing r

Favorite Features

1) High Mileage!! 2) Predictable handling. 3) Social invisibility. I am in business. I don't want a car that attracts attention. 4) The cruise control holds well uphill and down.

Suggested Improvements

1) The seats are a bit too stiff, and the upholstery kept pulling my trousers up where I didn't want them. I would like better seating. 2) The battery pack is probalby too small for my driving needs. It ran out of boost going over both the Rockies and the Sierras.