2004 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Best hybrid out there

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Best hybrid out there
By macsven on

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I didn't really choose to buy this car, since I wanted a manual transmission hybrid (the Civic is the only such model), but I am absolutely happy. The performance is decent, certainly no different than standard Civics or similar class cars. However, I probably would have paid more for extra horses because acceleration above 60 mph or when driving with a full car is sluggish. Gas mileage has lived up to my expectations -- 45-55 mpg, which leads me to think any complaints out there are from drivers who accelerate too fast, go over 80 mpg, etc. All other aspects of the car are identical to regular Civics -- a well balanced and economical sedan.

600+ miles per tank of gas! Under ideal driving conditions (flat, 60 mph speed, etc.), I get 65 mpg. Dash lights are stylish, as is the mini- spoiler and antenna. Overall feel of the car is solid for its size.

Major things -- rear suspension a bit loose, wheel design is chunky/ugly, extra horsepower (even if 5 mpg less fuel efficient). Minor things -- extra armrest for passenger, cupholders in back, windows don't shed rain that well, trunk space is a bit smaller than standard C