2004 Honda Civic DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
A blessing, but a mixed one.
By BMS on 03/19/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car is roomy and comfortable, and drives and handles well. However, there are a few bad points. The dashboard materials creak and rattle when the temp. is below about 40 (indicating poor workmanship to me). There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel ataround 68-70MPH. The car has a slight hesitation until it warms up fully, inexcusable in a fuel-injected car. And the engine is not quiet during acceleration, including a low-level high-pitched whine (though idle is smooth). The dealer says these are all "characteristics of the car" and will not "fix" them. But reliability, fuel economy, overall comfort and driveability are typical Honda. More plusses than minuses here.

get what you pay for
By 04lx10533 on 02/09/05 20:57 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as my 02 accord v6 came off lease. With the price of gas figured the civic would treat me better, and it has. My complaints (which seem to be redundant) come from the cheap bits and overall inexpensive feel of the car. After 7000 miles I also have "heel holes" in the driver's floor mat. The passenger window doesn't close (started after 4000 miles), the cloth armrest is beginning to form a hole where my elbow goes, and, after being hit in a parking lot, I am looking at replacing the rear bumper. Hey things happen, but at nearly $400 estimate for the rear bumper ... come on ... I thought this was an economy car! By the way, there is no power lock lever on the passenger side?!?!?

Third Civic
By Nookie4me on 01/10/05 12:36 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my third civic, bought the 2004 ex sedan w/ manual and love it. Not the fastest, sportiest, or nicest car on the streets, however it es everything I could ask for. Great gas mileage, interior space, build quality(minus the paint), and low cost to operate the vehicle. I could have bought a $30000.00 vehicle, but for vacations, backa dn forth to work and running around town with friends. I would rather have my money in my bank account than depreciating in my garage!!! Compound interest is the worlds best invention.

Great car!
By xander on 12/28/04 07:59 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

All the reviews are right...great value for the money you pay. This is the best affordable car out there right now. You can't find any better.

The Complete Civic
By Roy Persson Jr. on 12/19/04 12:35 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I refer to my 2004 Honda Civic as the "complete civic". Whatever you are looking for in a compact vehicle the civic has it. Fuel economy? I'm saving a bundle. Interior room? I'm 6'0 230lbs and I have plenty of head, shoulder, hip room. Extras? My VP came equiped with auto transmission, CD, air, tinted windows etc. at no extra cost or hidden add on charges. In the city I slip into spaces that other vehicles have to pass up, Yet I have plenty of trunk room and fold down seats that allow me to carry Xmas trees if necessary. I have owned muscle cars ('71 SS 396 Nova) and the civic on the highway has enough pep when you need it, also, no mechanical problems at all since I've owned the Civic.

longtime Honda owner
By longtimeowner on 12/12/04 07:22 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 4th new Honda I purchased this car in 12-03 I have had excellant service from the car. I think it is a good little car the quality is well above average. The service intervals suggested by Honda are long. I have had no problems with fit and finish. I could suggest this ride for anyone needing a "GOOD SMALL CAR"

Not made in Japan save your money
By R Williams on 11/30/04 20:16 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

After looking at cars for about one year we have now purchased a 2005 Civic EX. After a few days of ownership I noticed the paint overspray where the fog lights go on the front air dam. The gas milage is a joke from what the window and government say 31 city and 38 highway. Try about 31 and my 1997 Lincoln towncar gets 23 average? I really like the car but not worth the extra money. I wanted a Japan car not a Canada made car or I would have bought another UAW made car. The Quality is not there like the old days. We have five Honda ATV,s and Two off road motorcyles and they are built good. Brand name means nothing now days, I do like it still.

Honda Sustain's and 86's
By Karl and Elise on 11/07/04 15:03 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

In a years time and lots of highway travel, we have enjoyed our experience. However, a few things that buyers should know. One is the brake pads. We had to replace them at the 20k mile mark and recently I over heard an Accord owner discussing with a service manager their replacement also at 20k miles. I've owned numerous makes and models. Ford brake pads lasted longer than this. And I drove that car harder and under more harsh conditions. The other complaint is road noise and handling. It's highway road noise shouldn't be over looked as well as its ability to handle like it should. Freeway ramps (clover-leaf style) you will have to slow down as others don't.

04 Civic Review
By Black 5 on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've only had the car for one month...Excellent car...great for short rides or long trips...depending where you live the rims on the EX are "very popular", but to me the EX is worth the extra amount

Happy Shopper
By Gr8t Kar on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Fernandez Honda is a new dealership in San Antonio, TX. They have a very professional establishment. I did a lot of research prior to buying the car and did very little negotiating. I set a price and stuck with it. The facility has free internet, popcorn, vending and movies availiable if you need any maintenance. A+ for the management.