Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Should have kept the Mazda
By 2004honda

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying my 04 Honda ex I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege. The Mazda was much funner to drive, faster, sporty and gas mileage wasn't that different. This Honda is gutless I cant believe how slow it is. I hate the automatic downshift while breaking down hills. There are so many rattles in this car I don't know where to start. Road noise is really loud, same with the engine sounds like its working to hard. I think this is a good commuter car but not much past that. It looks pretty good but the build quality is not up to par for what a Honda should be. I would rate value to cost at a 5-6 with 10 being greatest value.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Road noise, engine noise, more power, fix the rattles.

Great First Car
By WSUguy

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought my civic a year used from friends who were moving on to a Prius. It was a great first car, everything just worked. I never had a problem outside of a flat tire. I only filled it up once or twice a month, and with its 12 gallon tank that was really amazing. It has a really fun ride and did a great job getting me through high school. My sister is now driving it, and there still is yet to be a mechanical issue!

Favorite Features

Steering Wheel- It sounds weird, but I have never found a car with a more comfortable steering wheel. Also for an economy car the sound system is remarkable.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise can be loud when you get on the highway, though it is far from the worst you'll find.

Can't beat it
By Asti

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought the car used, only 16k...Had the gas tank filled up twice, and both times I averaged 49.6 mpg. It probably would have worse gas mileage if driven harder, but I cannot complain about what I get (is a 5 speed one). It would be nice if would have a little more oomph, but...then no mileage. Nice piece of machinery and technology, I enjoy getting almost 600 miles per tank, happy with the residual value down the road...

Favorite Features

Nice and simple interior, slightly more pad than a regular civic, safety features, and NO TIMING belt.

Suggested Improvements

none

Honda Civic SI 2004
By zanoomac

2004 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What you should know. First the car is a blast to drive. I have driven RSXs, Mazda 3s, and Corollas. The SI is my favorite to drive. It handles well and the rally shifter helps make you feel like you are in control on your car. The SI transmission is touchy so you have to master it but when you do driving it becomes even better. Acceleration is moderate, although when you hit about 40mph then the car goes. It's roomy for a small car, people sit back there and always tell me how comfy and how much leg space is back there. Plus the seats in the back come down for when you want to transport a lot of your junk. And trust me I have done that a lot. All in all a great car almost about to hit 60000.

Favorite Features

Shifter, cockpit feel, great bucket seats, nice quality materials inside, decent stereo system, secret storage compartments.

Suggested Improvements

Faster acceleration (more torque), different material for seats because suede wears after time, wish steering wheel came out a little more, headliner squeaks sometimes.

So Far 92000 Miles and 0 Problems
By fredericktoo

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Civic VP new and no problems. Gas Mileage is better than advertised - I get about 42 mpg highway. Drive it 70 miles per day and has never let me down. All it needs is scheduled maint. This is the best car I have ever owned. My next car is probably going to be Honda Fit or the New Civic. This Civic won't need a tune up until 110K Miles.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Handling, Very Good Headlights, CD Player.

Suggested Improvements

Loud Engine when accelerating, but that's normal for a 4 cylinder. Minor Squeaks/rattles. The original tires were not too good. They did not last long.