2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Never again!
By Neveragain on 09/18/05 18:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Civic. I love my first one. This one is horrible. I had to have the fuel system replaced twice in the first 15,000 miles. The car does not handle as well and is unsteady around turns on the highway. I am commute over 100 miles round trip daily and dislike this vehicle most of the time. It is loud and the sluggish nothing like the one before this one. The only good part is the gas mileage which is in about high 30's in and out of the city. I will never buy Honda again as the company has been miserable to deal with and fixing stuff. My car is just one of many in the area that have had major problems with systems and gauges.

Can't Lose With A Honda Civic
By Abraham White on 09/17/05 14:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The wife and I had our hearts set on a Toyota Corolla. We test drove one, sat down to negotiate the price, the salesman was playing their games so out of spite I told him we were going to go to Honda. We did, and test drove the Civic, out of spite, but fell in love with it. Better handling than Corolla, better stereo system, much more comfortable ride, less road noise, and better overall fit and finish. And best of all to the wife, it was better priced than a comparably equipped Corolla. After all it was Consumer Reports Car of the year in 2003 or 2004 I can't quite recall but you can look it up. Cheers.

Above average small compact
By alljoy214 on 09/05/05 09:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buying vehicles can be tough. Honda has been one of the leading dealerships that have economical cars that are reliable and fun to drive. The 2004 Honda Civic LX is very fun to drive. At the same time, bland as a banana. Overall, one of the best in the small compact division.

Good Commuter
By Sodak on 08/29/05 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 3 Hondas previous to this purchase. I see the build quality dropping. There are more rattles in this one then the others. With 17,000 miles on the vehicle I have not had any service issues. I commute 100 miles (minimum) daily with steep grades of 6% to 8% for 15 to 20 mile distances. My highway to city driving ratio is 80%/20% respectively. With these two factors, I am getting 40 to 44 MPG (consistently). My worst tank full was 37 MPG. However, I am using fuel saving measure when I commute. This car is more comfortable than I ever thought it would be. However, there is to much road noise. I recommend the Civic as a commuter.

Whats Not To Like?
By JeromeGiraffe on 08/22/05 16:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car never lets me down. Excellent quality build, decent performance for the size of engine and fabulous gas mileage. I am very pleased with this car, wish I'd been driving Hondas for the past 30 years instead of a series of disapointing North American vehicles.

Reliable Honda
By arose on 08/20/05 17:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The Honda Civic really is the best value. I wish it had more horsepower. However, horsepower or not, in a few years it will be worth more than all other 2004's in its class.

very good car
By hondamack on 08/10/05 14:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second honda civic , it is a 2004 si sedan. the buld quality is very good,but it is lacking power, especially when merging onto the highway.

Good car, but no longer the best
By thel on 07/17/05 10:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car mainly b/c I like the local Honda dealer so much. I retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the higher fun factor that you get with the Mazda Protege5 or the new 3. I would also like the wagon utility that the Honda doesn't have. The Civic has good ergonomics and a quiet cabin. It is easy to work on and gets great gas mileage. The 04 facelift is also far more appealing than the earlier Civics. On the down side the car is painfully slow due in part to the gearing which seems more interested in fuel economy than performance. The seats are also a bit uncomfortable on the long haul. Overall, the Civic is a good car but the Mazdas are a lot more fun.

Don't look like a "Mom" car anymore
By Wendy on 04/27/05 20:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a gocart, good gas mileage, after tinting and adding Sirius Satellite Radio, replacing entire aftermarket system, plus extras.. (Oh yea the Factory speakers are actually plastic frames.) I now have added rims off of a 2003 EX Civic. Now the car actually almost looks about right.. The original factory hub cap rims had to go... Brakes have a problem when going down a slight incline once in a blue. Almost feels like it wants to lock up, had Honda Tech check out but naturally no show on the problem. Would like to put a better brake system, when these wear out. For the price paid on this car they should at least have disk all the way around on an LX. 16K on a civic is too much.

A blessing, but a mixed one.
By BMS on 03/19/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car is roomy and comfortable, and drives and handles well. However, there are a few bad points. The dashboard materials creak and rattle when the temp. is below about 40 (indicating poor workmanship to me). There is a slight vibration in the steering wheel ataround 68-70MPH. The car has a slight hesitation until it warms up fully, inexcusable in a fuel-injected car. And the engine is not quiet during acceleration, including a low-level high-pitched whine (though idle is smooth). The dealer says these are all "characteristics of the car" and will not "fix" them. But reliability, fuel economy, overall comfort and driveability are typical Honda. More plusses than minuses here.