Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 558 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good little car
By Gus in NC

2004 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used just for driving back and forth to work. The ride is so good, however, that my wife and I have also driven it on several trips. The ride on the highway is really good, and the mileage is excellent, 40 to 41 mpg cruising at 70 mph, with plenty of power left over. It also has lots of luggage space in back. Driving back and forth to work, I get 35 to 38 mpg. While this is not a race car(it wasn't designed to be one), it has plenty of power for everyday driving, and can keep up with everybody else, including on the interstate. It also is a nice quiet ride at any speed, and is sure footed, both on dry roads or snow.

Ease of finding and using controls on dashboard. Visibility is surprisingly good all around. Lighted instrument cluster is easy to see, even when you have the sun in your eyes.

Cup holders not easy to find without any lights in that part of the console at nighttime. Could use fog lamps as standard equipment.

zoom
By tivo

2004 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've the manual 5-spd, v. different driving- functioning than the automatic. Like a racing car. The control is magnificent, zip-zip here, there, everywhere - zoom, juice to spare, just downshift. Driving is easy, shifting smooth, cruise control great luxury. Can't imagine what more expensive autos are like! This athletic lean machine is for the tight human athletic lean machine who travels light, Slim. Extra poundage - not.

Heat-cooling v. efficient, lots of interior control for comfort. Parks in a thimble. Inconspicuous, rather unnoticed, good for the humble ego - quality vehicle operation the unseen gift of spiritual maturity.

Some added cool stuff for the interior. Variable wiper spd; squeals. Ignition key entry more accessible, larger? More road noise insulation.

I. LOVE. THIS. CAR.
By teajai

2004 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Prior to my Civic Coupe EX, I owned two Accords and two CR-V's. I got a little tired of all the money I was putting out in gas and on a whim I purchased my current 2004 Civic Coupe EX and began my journey. This is an excellent car! I was really scared when I was faced with driving it in the snow after being in a CR-V for 11 years...but the car is amazing. She plows through anything and climbs hills that have left other cars in the ditch. I've owned this car for just shy of 2 years now and I love it more and more each day. I get an average of 36-38 mpg--no matter the driving conditions. I can't praise this car enough. Get yourself one and begin your own inexpensively reliable journey!

The mpg, the style, it's fun to drive, easy to park, good stereo system,it's roomy for being so small, spacious trunk, inexpensive to own, repairs are minimal,it's comfortable and great in the snow....again with the mpg..you just can't beat it. It seems to get better the more 'broke-in' it gets.

It would be nice to have better cup holders in the back.....there is nothing else I can think of. Thank you Honda! I'm a fan for life!

I hate this car
By disappointed

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I am extremely disappointed in this car. We had our last Honda (1989 Prelude) for 15 years and it was nearly bulletproof. I had to replace the head gasket after 3 years on this Civic (at about 65,000 miles) and have the head machined – very expensive repair. I’ve spent more money fixing this car since I bought it than I have on an 11- year old Chrysler product with over 215,000 miles on it. The car lacks the power to get out of it's own way. I don't know if I just happened to get a lemon - or if there is a problem with this year model, but it's not an "automatic" choice for me to go buy another Honda.

The styling is good and it is not uncomfortable. Good mileage.

Needs more power.

Good overall car
By jpc477

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is a follow up from my first review. I've had my car for 9 months. The gas mileage is wonderful - on a 2k round trip, I averaged 38-40mpg on the highway even through the mountains of TN! In FL, mpg's were closer to 45! Had a couple of service needs that I didn't quite expect so soon. O2 sensor at 63k & recently replaced the timing belt at 69k (but the car is 5 yrs old). Control arm bushings also need to be replaced. Mechanics said these are all typical for these Civics but overall they're still some of the best cars out there. I wish it had more power. But this is the car to take on a long road trip!

Great gas mileage - probably the best gas mileage I've had from any car. Steering & suspension is very responsive - gives the car a solid grip on the road, but also has a smooth & quite ride. Interior & exterior give the car an elegant, classy look.

Wish it had more power especially with merging on the highway or passing. I added a cool air intake & a header which helped some. Will probably do a catback exhaust too. Stock stereo is nothing special - I replaced it with an Alpine stereo & speakers.