Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I hate this car
By disappointed

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I am extremely disappointed in this car. We had our last Honda (1989 Prelude) for 15 years and it was nearly bulletproof. I had to replace the head gasket after 3 years on this Civic (at about 65,000 miles) and have the head machined very expensive repair. Ive spent more money fixing this car since I bought it than I have on an 11- year old Chrysler product with over 215,000 miles on it. The car lacks the power to get out of it's own way. I don't know if I just happened to get a lemon - or if there is a problem with this year model, but it's not an "automatic" choice for me to go buy another Honda.

Favorite Features

The styling is good and it is not uncomfortable. Good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power.

Good overall car
By jpc477

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is a follow up from my first review. I've had my car for 9 months. The gas mileage is wonderful - on a 2k round trip, I averaged 38-40mpg on the highway even through the mountains of TN! In FL, mpg's were closer to 45! Had a couple of service needs that I didn't quite expect so soon. O2 sensor at 63k & recently replaced the timing belt at 69k (but the car is 5 yrs old). Control arm bushings also need to be replaced. Mechanics said these are all typical for these Civics but overall they're still some of the best cars out there. I wish it had more power. But this is the car to take on a long road trip!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage - probably the best gas mileage I've had from any car. Steering & suspension is very responsive - gives the car a solid grip on the road, but also has a smooth & quite ride. Interior & exterior give the car an elegant, classy look.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had more power especially with merging on the highway or passing. I added a cool air intake & a header which helped some. Will probably do a catback exhaust too. Stock stereo is nothing special - I replaced it with an Alpine stereo & speakers.

Very Reliable and Fun to Drive!
By RR1RR

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004, and it is probably the best car I have owned to date. It has been very reliable, as I have only done the usual routine maintenance (wipers, tires, oil changes, etc). I got the VP package with manual locks and crank windows (less to go wrong- not that it probably would). The 5 speed trans. makes it fun to drive. Power seems on par or better than other 4 cyl. economy-minded models. Buying price was maybe a tad higher than some competing models, but the lack of repair costs and the great fuel economy have long since justified the price! MPG of 35-42 is about the usual for me. I do tilt the seat back a bit, as I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. Great car though!

Favorite Features

Styling, zippy power, smooth manual trans., good gas mileage, typical Honda quality, easy maintenance (I do it myself)

Suggested Improvements

more aggressive stock tires, interior a bit cramped for several (bigger) people

Civic 3rd one and happy
By Jose'

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love the reliability of the engine, and the ride. Fuel consumption is good to great. Plenty of leg room, and stereo is nice. At this time I have 60000 miles on this Civic and hope to catch the other one I had at 210000 miles which did not burn one drop of oil. It was an older model and the timing belt broke on it, or it would still be running. The newer civics don't have that trouble because of clearance in the valves. Keep it up Honda. You're the best.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfort, reliability, resell value.

Suggested Improvements

Side air bags on all models, and Anti lock brakes also.

Stage 1 Modified 04 Civic EX 5SP
By Acura Racer

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Civic with it's small 127HP 1.7L for my excessive commuting and the need for a gas economy car. After installing a cold-air intake, strut tower brace, stage 1 clutch, lightweight racing flywheel, iridium plugs, and gator belts it flies like a rocket and has an improved gas economy of 30CTY/43HWY. Although the cabin noise is very loud, it is well worth the 400-500 miles per $24 tank of gas. Plus, besides the mods I have only had to change fluids in this car and the periodic check over under the hood. The only exception was an O2 sensor. It is extremely LOW maintenance. Overall, it's modern styling and economy are the best I have experienced between Honda/Acura over the years.

Favorite Features

I enjoy that this vehicle can be easily modified with performance parts under the hood. Gas economy too!!!! 40+ MPG is really hard to beat. I researched many newer compact cars that offer a lot less for more money. The 04-05 Civic EX is where you are going to get the most bang for your buck!

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise is very loud compared to most cars. Especially on the highway. It is like the difference of when you ride on one of those loud commuter planes with propellers (Civic) vs. a large passenger jet (most other cars). A consumer fix might be to install dynamat on the floors and inside the hood