Used 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Personal experience
By Gene jasper

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle has surpassed all my expectations, drove it from OH to COlorada last summer in Temps over 100 4 adults and averaged 48 MPG. Getting better than 50 mpg around OH. Corners great, and accelaration is good when needed. Excellent leg room for four adults. CVT transmission is great, never feel any shifting.

Favorite Features

Mileage, roominess, handling, safety features size of trunk.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would make the top of dash a lighter color, when parked in sun it creates a large heat sink that is hard to cool down.

Hybird reality
By Gary Scalzo

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Honda civic hybrid fule fact for my civic is city and highway combined 37mpg. I have driven the car less than 200 miles and probably very close to 50- 50 city vrs. highway miles. It takes a bit of getting use to the hybird technology as the car shuts down at most stops. The Civic is remarkably quiet. also it has a great standard packsage, A.C., cruse control, CD am fm sterio. Some folks may like the lighted dash information stystem that includes a tac, odomitor, battery status and other things. I find it a bit distracting with all the flashing and moving lights. It is a great car for those that have concerned about consumption and enviormental issues.

Favorite Features

Basicly non smog producing Probably 45 highway and 40 in the city remarably quiet. Pleanty of room. I cant get my surfboard in it though. Great warrenty great Financing Avalibal

Suggested Improvements

The dash need work there is to much going on there. the more mpg the better. Surf rack :)

Mixed Blessing
By Gohybrid

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

HCH is peppy & responsive. CVT is much smoother than regular auto transm. Handles well on curves & highway. Brakes are right there. Actual mileage lower than expected (37-40 mpg, mixed suburban driving). Bumps on steering wheel (@10 & 2 o'clock), plus its thickness & wide ribbing, interfere with hand placement for small-to-average woman's hand. Even with seat cranked up, rear visibility is poor (I'm 5'-5"). Seat is uncomfortable on long trips. Passenger wiper's sweep into driver's visual field has effect of narrowing view & is disturbing; transm. stick's chrome plate reflects sun glare into driver's eyes- a driving hazard. Exterior finish scratches easily.

Favorite Features

Lack of hesitation & resistance when accelerating, compared to regular auto transm. With hard acceleration it may resist some, but then it adjusts and takes off--zoom. Quiet- little engine noise. Relative to conventional cars, gas mileage is superior. Good sound system; quick, intense heat.

Suggested Improvements

Better lumbar support, softer seat; bigger rearview mirror. Improve Auto Stop (to turn engine off again after creeping forward in stopped traffic). Let AC run when AS is on. Improve form, function of steering wheel & wipers. Console wastes space-- more storage within driver's reach.

I love passing gas stations!
By Granola Girl

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Since I drive 1000+ miles per week for my job, I bought the Hybrid to give my beloved Xterra a break....as well as to improve my gas mileage from 15 to 50 mpg. Though I still love my Nissan, the Hybrid has been everything that I expected and more. In order to keep it at optimum fuel efficiency, I've noticed that I need to check the tire pressure and adjust regularly.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, fit and finish, auto- stop, comfortable ride, flawless shifting.

Suggested Improvements

Availability of a sunroof and fog lamps would be nice.

Gas mileage way below expected
By Margaret Sazani

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is advertised at 47/48 mpg. I have had the car for 9 months now and have 8,000 miles on it, and still only get 39 mpg. I am very very disappointed in this performance. The dealer says it's because there are lots of hills in this area and I drive it too fast. I think the advertised mpg should NOT be based on performance on flat terrain at slow speeds. So I am not at all happy with the car's performance in this area.

Favorite Features

It handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Improved gas mileage or more honesty in advertising.