2004 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Great gas Econ!... 44, not 48MPG
By marknguyen on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's manuf. rated at 48, but I'm getting 44. I driver mostly on the Freeway, in Los Angeles, mostly low- peak hours, averaging 65 Miles Per hour, and getting 44MPG. Still, it uses Regular Gas, rather than my old Super Unleaded that got 21MPG... Better than 50% savings!

MPG and Styling
By Mike-in-DC on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the car since 12/03 and am averaging 36.3 mpg per tank. I see that many of you tell of your 40+ MPG tanks and I am wondering why mine is not performing anywhere near that. What's the deal??? Any suggestions? As for the styling, I wanted the dealer to install fog lights and a rear deck spoiler (as offered as an option in the non-hybrid Civics) but they could not do it per instruction from Honda. I purchased the spoiler myself from the dealership and installed it myself - and it looks GREAT! I will soon be looking for other Honda wheels to replace the standard wheels.

Planet saver with a Big price tag
By DeVang on 03/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Legendary Honda built and quality for engine, chassis, suspension. Questionable reliability of battery & electric motor. Ride quality is firm, handling is acceptable and price is slightly on the high side. Acceleration is fair.

Excellent Car, just not for long trip
By babytam on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's really smooth. It got all the horsepower/torque I need. Really great fuel efficiency (so far, I have 42.3 MPG.) The engine is usually quiet. Especially during stops, when the engine is off. But the engine is really loud on the highway. I can't hear the music (CD/Radio) when I am on the Highway. I was surprised by the fan staying on after I turn off the vehicle. I assume the fan is used to cool off the engine. During long trip (4 hours +), one can feel that the seat cushioning is not very good.

By stephenie Landon on 03/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I love my car. It's cute Great on gas and for being a small car it still has lots of room.Love the new colors they come in. Mine is the new lite blue. I just love driving It!!!

Neat Car for the money
By dwagner on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mileage started out at 30mpg first tank, 35 Mpg second tank and about 38 mpg currently on third tank. Smooth comfortable ride. Pretty quiet. Plenty of power for everyday use.

Fun to drive
By Stace777 on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Fun to drive, Saves on gas. Easy to drive in rain,goes up hills fast. Gets good milage.

My first small car and I love it!
By Mary in Michigan on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I am a grad student who drives about 5- 600 miles per week. My 1997 Bravada blew the engine and I needed a car fast. I have had this one a week and it handles Michigan ice and rain like a big car, yet sometimes my mileage is 46 mpg. With escalating gas prices, I just wonder why I didn't do this sooner.

honda hybrid in florida
By cosaco on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Does over 42 mpg in mostly city driving consistently since purchase, by my own calculations - the gas consumption gauge overstates reality by 2-3 mpg. Battery does not charge well in hot weather here in Florida, gas mileage is noticeably better in cool weather.

What is Honda's problem?
By Morbid2600 on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Can someone tell me why the Hybrid has very few options? The colors are limited along with things you can't get, like a sun roof and spoiler. And why is the antena in the middle of the roof toward the front? The normal rims on the hybrid look horrible.... Why couldn't they just put the technology in a normal civic with the same standards, and sence they didn't why is it more money then one with all those other options... This factor just ruins the hybrid part for me, I'd rather just stick with a normal civic and get all the cool extras.