Used 2004 Honda Civic Value Package Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

So Far 92000 Miles and 0 Problems
By fredericktoo

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Civic VP new and no problems. Gas Mileage is better than advertised - I get about 42 mpg highway. Drive it 70 miles per day and has never let me down. All it needs is scheduled maint. This is the best car I have ever owned. My next car is probably going to be Honda Fit or the New Civic. This Civic won't need a tune up until 110K Miles.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Handling, Very Good Headlights, CD Player.

Suggested Improvements

Loud Engine when accelerating, but that's normal for a 4 cylinder. Minor Squeaks/rattles. The original tires were not too good. They did not last long.

Good for trips
By sjc355VT

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car on trips, but I should've gotten a 5 speed! I live where we have 8% grade mountains that I sometimes have to go down in winter. Most economy cars even in automatic have a 1st gear option that you can manually put the car into. This does NOT! And the fact that there are no ABS brakes means pumping the brakes on straight-aways then hoping you don't slide across the corner off the mountain. It's scary. I love this car, but that is reason enough for me to get something with 1st gear as an option. Also on dry straight-aways I tried it in 2nd gear and it didn't stay where it should - it picked up speed! Hello!

Favorite Features

Great mileage. Nothing will break with crank Windows. Trunk and passenger space. Comfortable place to put feet when driving.

Suggested Improvements

In the automatic version put a 1st gear manual option. Why bother with 3rd, most people would need 2nd and 1st, especially going down snow covered mountains!

Does the job for the least money
By GoingfromAtoBandBack

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Too many people marry for looks rather than moral character, and too many people get an unreliable car with the same superficial philosophy. We couldn't be happier with our base-model Honda Civic. My car is not my identity but simply a thing to take me from A to B and back. Over the last three years, our Civic has done the job flawlessly. And we got it for the least money long- term among compact cars, except for the Corolla, which is comparable. People don't need 6 or 8 cylinders, or a car that "looks good." As drivers, we need cars that will reliably drive us on paved roads without driving up our debt or driving us crazy with repairs. The Civic builds contentment and peace in our hearts.

Favorite Features

Starts up every time. Good oomph when needed. Big front window. Fold-down rear seats open it up for cargo. Dog cage fits in back seat too.

Suggested Improvements

More insulation to cut down wind and road noise would be preferred. Anything else I wanted are in the EX, which I could have bought.

Nice dependable car
By Michael Ross

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

We've driven this Civic in all sorts of situations, city and country, and found it very reliable and very much what we were looking for. The fuel economy is good. Our single complaint is that the rear bumper is very easily damaged, and when damaged the whole bumper cover must be replaced. It would be nice if they would make it a little more crash resistant at low speeds.

Favorite Features

Nice cup holder, value package gave a lot for the money with AC etc.

Suggested Improvements

Better bumpers

Reliable Honda
By arose

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The Honda Civic really is the best value. I wish it had more horsepower. However, horsepower or not, in a few years it will be worth more than all other 2004's in its class.

Favorite Features

CD player sounds very good for factory.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower