2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
More comfort than a box of rocks!
By moitz on 01/27/11 13:12 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it's been 5 years since I purchased this car used, with 32k on the clock. It now has 145k on it, and I'm expecting to own it another 3 years and 60k. So that right there should tell you something about it. This gen of Civic is, quite simply put, the ideal commuter and city car. The engine is reasonably smooth and peppy. Very low road noise with Goodyear Affinity Triple-treads. Steering is nicely weighted for city driving. Ride quality is sportier than it's American counterparts, and build quailty is far and above the class leader. 5 adults will fit if needed. Sunroof and power gizmos abound. Repairs are infrequent and cheap. 36 highway, 30 city. How can you go wrong?

So... why are people buying hybrids?
By fronteeer on 01/24/11 05:32 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned six cars in my life: two Chryslers, one Chevrolet, two Volkswagens, and this is my second Honda Civic. My first Civic, a 1996, made me a Honda fan for life. I'm actually embarrassed for having bought into the "German engineering" hype, because neither of my VWs was that great of a car, and as for the Chev and Chryslers, well... we all make mistakes. My wife and I have two other vehicles, but because my Civic (past and present) has comfortable front seats, lots of room for the kids, tons of trunk space, a decent stereo, phenomenal fuel economy and bulletproof reliability, we always seem to take it everywhere. The 1.7L VTEC engine is a perfect blend of economy and performance.

Stage 1 Modified 04 Civic EX 5SP
By Acura Racer on 08/25/09 07:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Civic with it's small 127HP 1.7L for my excessive commuting and the need for a gas economy car. After installing a cold-air intake, strut tower brace, stage 1 clutch, lightweight racing flywheel, iridium plugs, and gator belts it flies like a rocket and has an improved gas economy of 30CTY/43HWY. Although the cabin noise is very loud, it is well worth the 400-500 miles per $24 tank of gas. Plus, besides the mods I have only had to change fluids in this car and the periodic check over under the hood. The only exception was an O2 sensor. It is extremely LOW maintenance. Overall, it's modern styling and economy are the best I have experienced between Honda/Acura over the years.

Should have kept the Mazda
By 2004honda on 08/12/09 09:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying my 04 Honda ex I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege. The Mazda was much funner to drive, faster, sporty and gas mileage wasn't that different. This Honda is gutless I cant believe how slow it is. I hate the automatic downshift while breaking down hills. There are so many rattles in this car I don't know where to start. Road noise is really loud, same with the engine sounds like its working to hard. I think this is a good commuter car but not much past that. It looks pretty good but the build quality is not up to par for what a Honda should be. I would rate value to cost at a 5-6 with 10 being greatest value.

Stay with quality you know!
By jpc477 on 01/12/09 20:51 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 04 Civic EX. I had owned other Hondas but for a period of time owned an 03 Mazda Protege then an 05 Hyundai Santa Fe. The Civic I have now runs & drives flawlessly and is solid when it comes to handling. I don't worry like I did with the other cars when I see gas go up. The moral of the story is if you've been a Honda owner especially for a while and are thinking of something else, stick with what you know. You just can't go wrong with these vehicles.

Good Daily Driver
By hansel313 on 10/01/08 01:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for a little over 2 years now. I bought it for getting to work and college, as well as cheap insurance. The Civic is pretty slow, and I usually have to rev into 4-5k RPM to make it to freeway speeds by the time I need to merge. Freeway passing is slow, unless you downshift to 4th. Gas mileage is good, but not the greatest, but one of the better ones at the price. I haven't had any major mechanical issues, just a broken power door lock actuator which was fixed under the extended warranty. Maintenance is a breeze. Interior breaks and scratches easily. Good view out the rear. It gets you from A to B, which is its intended purpose.

Happy EX Owner
By Buckeye on 07/27/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very reliable car that gets very good gas mileage. I am getting 41 mpg on the highway and 34-36 mpg city. I have the 4 door sedan that has plenty of room for 4 people. Trunk capacity is very good. Bought the vehicle brand new and now I have 45,000 miles on it. I have never had to take it in for service for anything more than the normal oil change and the regular maint. Resale value is great! I am a very happy Honda owner.

Honda All the Way
By Wally on 06/14/08 09:53 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 04 EX 4 door for four years now and I can't say enough about the kind of car Honda builds. All I have done is regular maintenance and tires. Averaging 32 mpg and the car is still worth $10K on trade. What a car, my wife has a C-RV and my next car will be an Accord. HONDA ALL THE WAY!!!

What a car!?!
By James O. on 05/22/08 06:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2004 Accord EX is without question the best car I have ever owned (am will likely own). In four years I have not had a single issue with it, both interior and exterior. Routine maintenance and a little TLC leave her running and looking great. An added bonus is the fantastic fuel efficiency now that gas is through the roof. On average, she gets close to 30 mpg. If you are considering buying a Honda, this particular model will serve you very, very well.

Good Work or Run Around Town Car
By John on 03/18/08 20:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to drive to and from work because of the dependability and resale. This is my first Honda and I bought it with just 23K. It replaced my Ford Escort. Gas mileage is about 1 or 2 MPG better than 2002 Escort. It sits better and has better acceleration than the Escort. Honda gets about 32-36 MPG to and from work which is about 8 miles in town, 34 miles on freeway. I do not just drive it in town. It gets twice as good of MPG as my Mountaineer!