Used 2004 Honda Civic Value Package Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Grandama demanded the Civic VIP
By Davie Boy

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This model is a good used choice car for those looking for basic transportation. Replacement parts availability is excellent. Heads-up - this car has a timing belt which requires replacement at 105,000 miles (not a chain). I would only buy a used civic that has less then 55,000 miles. Back in 2004 my 80 year old mother needed a new car and demanded the CIVIC with manual windows so I got her a brand new 2004 VIP. The car cost $15,000 OTD with no trade-in. It is a very basic car but that's what she wanted. Since then she has put only 12,000 miles on it and the only time it was in the shop was for the airbag recall. It runs and drives like new after 11 years. This car feels quite "tinny" although it's fit and finish are flawless. The designers clearly focused on interior room, fuel efficiency, reliability and the driver's outward visibility. The designers sacrificed suspension, breaking, acceleration, cornering/steering, cabin soundproofing and the overall fun driving experience. The rear suspension, in particular, has been crammed into a small space to make the trunk bigger, yielding an oddly bouncy ride. The rear brakes are drum which make for very poor stopping capability and the single overhead cam engine is quite pathetic. That said, it's amazingly reliable, economical, well assembled, easy to drive with excellent outward visibility and boring - which is, apparently, what must drivers demand judging from this car's popularity.

So Far 92000 Miles and 0 Problems
By fredericktoo

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 04 Civic VP new and no problems. Gas Mileage is better than advertised - I get about 42 mpg highway. Drive it 70 miles per day and has never let me down. All it needs is scheduled maint. This is the best car I have ever owned. My next car is probably going to be Honda Fit or the New Civic. This Civic won't need a tune up until 110K Miles.

Gas Mileage, Handling, Very Good Headlights, CD Player.

Loud Engine when accelerating, but that's normal for a 4 cylinder. Minor Squeaks/rattles. The original tires were not too good. They did not last long.

Good for trips
By sjc355VT

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car on trips, but I should've gotten a 5 speed! I live where we have 8% grade mountains that I sometimes have to go down in winter. Most economy cars even in automatic have a 1st gear option that you can manually put the car into. This does NOT! And the fact that there are no ABS brakes means pumping the brakes on straight-aways then hoping you don't slide across the corner off the mountain. It's scary. I love this car, but that is reason enough for me to get something with 1st gear as an option. Also on dry straight-aways I tried it in 2nd gear and it didn't stay where it should - it picked up speed! Hello!

Great mileage. Nothing will break with crank Windows. Trunk and passenger space. Comfortable place to put feet when driving.

In the automatic version put a 1st gear manual option. Why bother with 3rd, most people would need 2nd and 1st, especially going down snow covered mountains!

Does the job for the least money
By GoingfromAtoBandBack

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Too many people marry for looks rather than moral character, and too many people get an unreliable car with the same superficial philosophy. We couldn't be happier with our base-model Honda Civic. My car is not my identity but simply a thing to take me from A to B and back. Over the last three years, our Civic has done the job flawlessly. And we got it for the least money long- term among compact cars, except for the Corolla, which is comparable. People don't need 6 or 8 cylinders, or a car that "looks good." As drivers, we need cars that will reliably drive us on paved roads without driving up our debt or driving us crazy with repairs. The Civic builds contentment and peace in our hearts.

Starts up every time. Good oomph when needed. Big front window. Fold-down rear seats open it up for cargo. Dog cage fits in back seat too.

More insulation to cut down wind and road noise would be preferred. Anything else I wanted are in the EX, which I could have bought.

Nice dependable car
By Michael Ross

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

We've driven this Civic in all sorts of situations, city and country, and found it very reliable and very much what we were looking for. The fuel economy is good. Our single complaint is that the rear bumper is very easily damaged, and when damaged the whole bumper cover must be replaced. It would be nice if they would make it a little more crash resistant at low speeds.

Nice cup holder, value package gave a lot for the money with AC etc.

Better bumpers