Used 2004 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 225 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By Aimee Riley Mcffee

2004 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Honda Civic EX couple has been my stalwart baby car, the first I ever purchased on my own. She's dependable, very economical and never had a problem with her. I have maintained her exactly according to the recommendations in the owner's manual and she performs like a champ day after day. Whether in the city or on a road trip, she's a dream. I highly recommend this car. The only reason I even consider moving on (to another Honda, of course) is because it's a two-door coupe and my family is expanding. This car is a single person car and super fun to drive!

Life saver gift
By John Thatcher

Grandama demanded the Civic VIP
By Davie Boy

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This model is a good used choice car for those looking for basic transportation. Replacement parts availability is excellent. Heads-up - this car has a timing belt which requires replacement at 105,000 miles (not a chain). I would only buy a used civic that has less then 55,000 miles. Back in 2004 my 80 year old mother needed a new car and demanded the CIVIC with manual windows so I got her a brand new 2004 VIP. The car cost $15,000 OTD with no trade-in. It is a very basic car but that's what she wanted. Since then she has put only 12,000 miles on it and the only time it was in the shop was for the airbag recall. It runs and drives like new after 11 years. This car feels quite "tinny" although it's fit and finish are flawless. The designers clearly focused on interior room, fuel efficiency, reliability and the driver's outward visibility. The designers sacrificed suspension, breaking, acceleration, cornering/steering, cabin soundproofing and the overall fun driving experience. The rear suspension, in particular, has been crammed into a small space to make the trunk bigger, yielding an oddly bouncy ride. The rear brakes are drum which make for very poor stopping capability and the single overhead cam engine is quite pathetic. That said, it's amazingly reliable, economical, well assembled, easy to drive with excellent outward visibility and boring - which is, apparently, what must drivers demand judging from this car's popularity.

Can't feel the hype
By lfas

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car in 4-door LX 4 speed auto guise for neigh on four years, and other than the fact that this little car handled like crazy and could take an off ramp at 60 mph with ease, that's where my admiration ends.

Post ownership, and for the life of me I cannot grasp the Honda hype that led me to plunk down my cash on this vehicle. I just plainly don't know what sparks such admiration for Honda Civcs.

The car was vastly underpowered for daily commuter driving around the Chicagoland area. I am fond of saying that Civics can't manage to get out of their own way. Was it the auto trans that muted power? The car had an all around anemic, fragile feel to me.

Cornering and handling were good.

The general low center of gravity design of Civics is not friendly to Chicago area winter driving where roads are littered with icebergs and snow laden driveways present simple ambulatory problems to a Civic. Silly little things would break of become inoperable...for example, the gas door release cable gave up after a short amount of time and plastic interior trim piece would break with even the gentlest of use. Overall, for the rather high initial acquisition cost of a Honda Civic, there were few standards to add value. I leave this brand numb to the Honda hype.

Nice Nice base Honda!!!
By honda_man3

Hello,
Well I stopped in and peaked at a 2004 honda civic dx sedan I saw on a local website, they had me test drive it suprised me a ton! then they gave me 2500 dollars for my 1996 grand am gt with 62k on it. so bam i got this little economical safe fuel efficient, car that i can customize lightly and cheaply!!!

transmission is soooooo smoooooth! mines a 5 speed with on 59,2xx miles!! and also that it is nice light green color with nice tan interior. also that it's a honda! im never gonna drive anything else!

upgrade the wheels. my hubcaps kinda suck lol.