Used 2004 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Can't feel the hype
By lfas

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car in 4-door LX 4 speed auto guise for neigh on four years, and other than the fact that this little car handled like crazy and could take an off ramp at 60 mph with ease, that's where my admiration ends. Post ownership, and for the life of me I cannot grasp the Honda hype that led me to plunk down my cash on this vehicle. I just plainly don't know what sparks such admiration for Honda Civcs. The car was vastly underpowered for daily commuter driving around the Chicagoland area. I am fond of saying that Civics can't manage to get out of their own way. Was it the auto trans that muted power? The car had an all around anemic, fragile feel to me.

Favorite Features

Cornering and handling were good.

Suggested Improvements

The general low center of gravity design of Civics is not friendly to Chicago area winter driving where roads are littered with icebergs and snow laden driveways present simple ambulatory problems to a Civic. Silly little things would break of become inoperable...for example, the gas door release cable gave up after a short amount of time and plastic interior trim piece would break with even the gentlest of use. Overall, for the rather high initial acquisition cost of a Honda Civic, there were few standards to add value. I leave this brand numb to the Honda hype.

Nice Nice base Honda!!!
By honda_man3

2004 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Hello, Well I stopped in and peaked at a 2004 honda civic dx sedan I saw on a local website, they had me test drive it suprised me a ton! then they gave me 2500 dollars for my 1996 grand am gt with 62k on it. so bam i got this little economical safe fuel efficient, car that i can customize lightly and cheaply!!!

Favorite Features

transmission is soooooo smoooooth! mines a 5 speed with on 59,2xx miles!! and also that it is nice light green color with nice tan interior. also that it's a honda! im never gonna drive anything else!

Suggested Improvements

upgrade the wheels. my hubcaps kinda suck lol.

Best Car Ever!
By wrogers3087

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it. I did not get a carfax and after I bought it, I found out that it had been in a front ender. I now have over 140,000 miles on it, and it has been through ONE set of brakes, and TWO sets of tires. Nothing else, ever. I have not been very kind to this car. I forget to get oil changes, and I have wrecked it six times. You cannot kill this car if you tried. I am finally buying a new car for better looks, but I am passing this car on to another family member who can easily get another 100,000 miles out of it. BEST CAR EVER!

Favorite Features

gas mileage around 23m/gal city, but I'm a lead foot!

More comfort than a box of rocks!
By moitz

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it's been 5 years since I purchased this car used, with 32k on the clock. It now has 145k on it, and I'm expecting to own it another 3 years and 60k. So that right there should tell you something about it. This gen of Civic is, quite simply put, the ideal commuter and city car. The engine is reasonably smooth and peppy. Very low road noise with Goodyear Affinity Triple-treads. Steering is nicely weighted for city driving. Ride quality is sportier than it's American counterparts, and build quailty is far and above the class leader. 5 adults will fit if needed. Sunroof and power gizmos abound. Repairs are infrequent and cheap. 36 highway, 30 city. How can you go wrong?

Favorite Features

It rides and sounds like a well-built car. Interior design is not startling, and ergonomics are well-thought out.

Suggested Improvements

Rear disc brakes. Drums just don't cut it, even for a car this light. And make the rear defrost button illuminate like the rest of the buttons. It throws the whole dash balance off at night.

So... why are people buying hybrids?
By fronteeer

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned six cars in my life: two Chryslers, one Chevrolet, two Volkswagens, and this is my second Honda Civic. My first Civic, a 1996, made me a Honda fan for life. I'm actually embarrassed for having bought into the "German engineering" hype, because neither of my VWs was that great of a car, and as for the Chev and Chryslers, well... we all make mistakes. My wife and I have two other vehicles, but because my Civic (past and present) has comfortable front seats, lots of room for the kids, tons of trunk space, a decent stereo, phenomenal fuel economy and bulletproof reliability, we always seem to take it everywhere. The 1.7L VTEC engine is a perfect blend of economy and performance.

Favorite Features

The Honda Civic is, to me, as close to the perfect car as you can get. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, cheap on gas, reasonably nice looking compared to similar offerings from Toyota and Nissan, cheap on gas, roomy and comfortable, easy to drive and incredibly reliable. My favorite features are the engine and the transmission. Honda engines are nothing short of incredible--the perfect compromise of fuel economy and power--and their manual transmissions are among smoothest I've ever driven. Combined with great visibility, a light and nimble chassis and easy-to-use controls, the powertrain makes the Civic a very satisfying daily driver. Oh, and it started this morning at -36 deg., no problem!

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I had with both of my Civics was the trunk/fuel door release. The cable connectors need to be made stronger to withstand the abuse of frequent use in less than favorable conditions (snow, ice, freezing temperatures). Aside from that, one of the most commonly upgraded components is the rear sway bar, because this generation of Civic tends to be prone to pronounced body lean resulting in mild oversteer. Nonetheless, the Civic is surprisingly stable and composed in corners, and the suspension is firm but somehow cushy enough to smooth out the bumps. You can tell that a lot of time has gone into perfecting the driving experience as a whole--something VW claims, but fails, to do.