2004 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Nice Nice base Honda!!!
By honda_man3 on 09/25/12 04:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Hello, Well I stopped in and peaked at a 2004 honda civic dx sedan I saw on a local website, they had me test drive it suprised me a ton! then they gave me 2500 dollars for my 1996 grand am gt with 62k on it. so bam i got this little economical safe fuel efficient, car that i can customize lightly and cheaply!!!

Best Car Ever!
By wrogers3087 on 09/14/11 07:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it. I did not get a carfax and after I bought it, I found out that it had been in a front ender. I now have over 140,000 miles on it, and it has been through ONE set of brakes, and TWO sets of tires. Nothing else, ever. I have not been very kind to this car. I forget to get oil changes, and I have wrecked it six times. You cannot kill this car if you tried. I am finally buying a new car for better looks, but I am passing this car on to another family member who can easily get another 100,000 miles out of it. BEST CAR EVER!

More comfort than a box of rocks!
By moitz on 01/27/11 13:12 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it's been 5 years since I purchased this car used, with 32k on the clock. It now has 145k on it, and I'm expecting to own it another 3 years and 60k. So that right there should tell you something about it. This gen of Civic is, quite simply put, the ideal commuter and city car. The engine is reasonably smooth and peppy. Very low road noise with Goodyear Affinity Triple-treads. Steering is nicely weighted for city driving. Ride quality is sportier than it's American counterparts, and build quailty is far and above the class leader. 5 adults will fit if needed. Sunroof and power gizmos abound. Repairs are infrequent and cheap. 36 highway, 30 city. How can you go wrong?

So... why are people buying hybrids?
By fronteeer on 01/24/11 05:32 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned six cars in my life: two Chryslers, one Chevrolet, two Volkswagens, and this is my second Honda Civic. My first Civic, a 1996, made me a Honda fan for life. I'm actually embarrassed for having bought into the "German engineering" hype, because neither of my VWs was that great of a car, and as for the Chev and Chryslers, well... we all make mistakes. My wife and I have two other vehicles, but because my Civic (past and present) has comfortable front seats, lots of room for the kids, tons of trunk space, a decent stereo, phenomenal fuel economy and bulletproof reliability, we always seem to take it everywhere. The 1.7L VTEC engine is a perfect blend of economy and performance.

Great Car for Normal People
By dude on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great car to drive around in. It is not a luxury car so there will obviously be plastic and road noise. Unlike other cars (ex. - Toyotas), it feels like you are driving a car on a road, not a friggin cloud designed for senior citizens. Mileage is great at 33 mixed, but a 5 speed auto would have been awesome. Reliability (in both hot of Mojave desert and cold of Midwest) is awesome with 80k miles with only fluids, brakes, and tires replaced at my convenience. Those of us past puberty will find the stereo good enough to pass drive time. VTEC gives good power as long as you are willing to go pedal to metal. Plan to keep to 150k

Very Satisfied
By Lippster on 07/11/10 08:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car for a little over a year now. I've put almost 25k on it! Definitely not overpowered, but it's fine for me. Great gas mileage, comfortable and reliable. I love it!

Great engineering and design
By Hoosier Grandpa on 06/08/10 11:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used with 50,000 miles. Driven a lot of cars in my life, enjoyed most. This one is well designed and well made. No, it's not an expensive luxury nor full bore sports car - but very well appointed and suspension, steering, high revving engine definitely provide sports car feel when pushed hard! Mileage on highway at 80 mph is fabulous at 40-42 mpg, in town 33-36 depending on traffic stop'n'go (tip, be sure to use good fuel injector cleaner every 4000 miles)

Excellent Reliability, Excellent Mileage
By oldmandasilva on 05/30/10 21:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchase this car new based on the reliability and gas mileage reports and have not been disappointed in the least. In the 6+ years that I have owned it I have put on 144,000 miles, mostly commuting (86 miles round trip) to and from work. I regularly get 43-45 mpg. Granted, I am gas mileage conscious and try not to drive over 60 mph, avoid "jack rabbit" starts and constant braking and maintain the tires a little over-inflated. All I have spent on this car in the 6+ years I have owned it, besides gas and regular oil changes, has been to replace the front brakes and, at 125,000 miles, replacing the original Bridgestone tires (which provided good gas mileage but were mediocre in the snow).

Great car but
By jpc477 on 04/19/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd review. Bought in Jan of 09 w/ 59k miles, now has 78k. Gas mileage is wonderful. Handling is solid, engine runs smoothly and transmission shifts smoothly. When I first got the car power wasn't quite what I wanted. A cool air intake, header, and performance exhaust helped. However I've had some unexpected issues. Fuel door cable broke - $300 to fix! O2 sensor failed, over $260 to fix, front control arm bushings replaced for $300. Not things I would expect from a Honda at the age / mileage it is. Overall I still think Honda is an excellent product but I will probably at least look at reviews more closely when I eventually replace my car - which I'm not planning on for a while.

Armrest console
By bobi on 03/22/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic Sedan Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The armrest hinge got stuck in the upright position and would not go down. The service dept at Honda found this normal. The part alone (the would cost $162, to say nothing of the labor ($100 plus). I think the armrest should last the life of the car. It was not abused in any way, it just died an untimely death. Everything plastic on the interior of this car has been feeble and junky.The interior lock for the trunk faces upward and is constantly full of sand. It has been replaced twice.The plastic covers for the seat back locks fell off long ago.The paint on the bumpers is all damaged and freckled. Perhaps this is a way for Honda to recoup the admittedly very low initial sales price.