Used 2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

perfect car for recent college grad
By trogdor1

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has everything I want. The lack of rear doors is compensated by the folding back seats. I can easily fit skis and snowboards in there. The mileage is obviously less than advertised. I get about 24/34 city/highway, while redlining it after every red light and toll booth. The goofy-looking thing has its own personality. It feels like a puppy who wants to sprint, just give it a little incentive. The shifter is easy to reach and the suspension is not too rough and hugs corners swimmingly. I have easily fit 3 people in the back, and the front bucket racing seats are amazing. No other car I have driven has the same sporty feel as this one. And i owned VW's, mercedes, ford, and acuras.

The engine is powerful enough to haul the car's weight and make it sprint at any speed. The seats, the shifter, and the interior are very thoughtfully designed. 3 cupholders and tons of shelves for sunglasses, phones, etc. The engine sound is a nice low purr.

Make the oil filter easier to reach. I never had to change my oil at a mechanic until I got this car and it is impossible to get to from underneath or above.

The Forgotten Honda
By wavey83

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 SiR (Canada) with 180 000 km on it, a mechanic used to own it, so it was still in great shape, compression was A1 and took no oil. I'm now at 220 000 km and still runs awsome, very reliable little car. Didn't do much repairs on it except regular maintenance. I use it as a daily driver and do at least 180 km a day on average, it gets great mileage and hasn't let me go yet. Above all, it's a blast to drive, handles great, but in a weird kind of way: understeers a lot, but it will still manage to get around the corner very quickly. My only complaint: Needs more power, it tends to feel weak at low RPM's, but thank god, like all Hondas, it loves to rev :)

Handling, Seats, Engine and Transmission, Hatchback Design, Gas Mileage.

Needs more power and a sixth gear, it would really improve mileage on the highway.

Honda Civic SI 2004
By zanoomac

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

What you should know. First the car is a blast to drive. I have driven RSXs, Mazda 3s, and Corollas. The SI is my favorite to drive. It handles well and the rally shifter helps make you feel like you are in control on your car. The SI transmission is touchy so you have to master it but when you do driving it becomes even better. Acceleration is moderate, although when you hit about 40mph then the car goes. It's roomy for a small car, people sit back there and always tell me how comfy and how much leg space is back there. Plus the seats in the back come down for when you want to transport a lot of your junk. And trust me I have done that a lot. All in all a great car almost about to hit 60000.

Shifter, cockpit feel, great bucket seats, nice quality materials inside, decent stereo system, secret storage compartments.

Faster acceleration (more torque), different material for seats because suede wears after time, wish steering wheel came out a little more, headliner squeaks sometimes.

Bit of a tripod
By Azrael

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006, and have not had a single problem. I love taking it up past 5000 (and so does it). You can't give this car too much abuse. It just laps it up. Although, I agree with top gear, it is a "bit of a tripod". It handles like a dream, and accelerates like a bloody rocket! I'm averaging about 30-35 on the highway, and that's at a constant 6500 rpm! I'm pretty sure if I slowed down a bit, I could get better mileage. Nah...

The gear lever. Right in the center of the dash. I have always been a fan of rally ingenuity, but in a Honda? That's unheard of. Plenty of room in the back seat, and the boot is just HUGE!!!

A little more torque would be ideal. 132 ft.lbs just is not enough to launch the 2700 pound car quickly enough.

Still love this car
By Delighted Traveller

2004 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's been 3 years and 47,000 miles and I still love this car. Good acceleration, responsive. It still sings under my hands. And still gets great gas mileage (24 city/28 highway)

Responsiveness. Ergonomically - it's a great fit. Still love the placement of the gearshift and the acceleration.