Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 558 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By Aimee Riley Mcffee

2004 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 2004 Honda Civic EX couple has been my stalwart baby car, the first I ever purchased on my own. She's dependable, very economical and never had a problem with her. I have maintained her exactly according to the recommendations in the owner's manual and she performs like a champ day after day. Whether in the city or on a road trip, she's a dream. I highly recommend this car. The only reason I even consider moving on (to another Honda, of course) is because it's a two-door coupe and my family is expanding. This car is a single person car and super fun to drive!

Life saver gift
By John Thatcher

2004 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Grandama demanded the Civic VIP
By Davie Boy

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This model is a good used choice car for those looking for basic transportation. Replacement parts availability is excellent. Heads-up - this car has a timing belt which requires replacement at 105,000 miles (not a chain). I would only buy a used civic that has less then 55,000 miles. Back in 2004 my 80 year old mother needed a new car and demanded the CIVIC with manual windows so I got her a brand new 2004 VIP. The car cost $15,000 OTD with no trade-in. It is a very basic car but that's what she wanted. Since then she has put only 12,000 miles on it and the only time it was in the shop was for the airbag recall. It runs and drives like new after 11 years. This car feels quite "tinny" although it's fit and finish are flawless. The designers clearly focused on interior room, fuel efficiency, reliability and the driver's outward visibility. The designers sacrificed suspension, breaking, acceleration, cornering/steering, cabin soundproofing and the overall fun driving experience. The rear suspension, in particular, has been crammed into a small space to make the trunk bigger, yielding an oddly bouncy ride. The rear brakes are drum which make for very poor stopping capability and the single overhead cam engine is quite pathetic. That said, it's amazingly reliable, economical, well assembled, easy to drive with excellent outward visibility and boring - which is, apparently, what must drivers demand judging from this car's popularity.

Can't feel the hype
By lfas

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car in 4-door LX 4 speed auto guise for neigh on four years, and other than the fact that this little car handled like crazy and could take an off ramp at 60 mph with ease, that's where my admiration ends.

Post ownership, and for the life of me I cannot grasp the Honda hype that led me to plunk down my cash on this vehicle. I just plainly don't know what sparks such admiration for Honda Civcs.

The car was vastly underpowered for daily commuter driving around the Chicagoland area. I am fond of saying that Civics can't manage to get out of their own way. Was it the auto trans that muted power? The car had an all around anemic, fragile feel to me.

Cornering and handling were good.

The general low center of gravity design of Civics is not friendly to Chicago area winter driving where roads are littered with icebergs and snow laden driveways present simple ambulatory problems to a Civic. Silly little things would break of become inoperable...for example, the gas door release cable gave up after a short amount of time and plastic interior trim piece would break with even the gentlest of use. Overall, for the rather high initial acquisition cost of a Honda Civic, there were few standards to add value. I leave this brand numb to the Honda hype.

My 04 Civic is a dream
By em7rulez

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I remember when I wanted this car it was all i could think about. Owning a 1992 Camaro prior to this car made me appreciate the value this car offers. The civic is a VP and this model does a good job at offering great gas mileage, speed, handling, and overall quality. The previous reviews on this car is exactly right this car is the most efficient coupe you can buy today period. You can mod it to make it even better than what it is. I drive to work and I only have to fill up at least every other week and a half. I can go two weeks and 3 days without filling this car up. I purchased this car used at 65,000 miles and i have 86,000 miles and i plan to never get rid of this car.

The seats could be better that is my only problem with this car. They really are not meant for more than 2 hours of driving.