2004 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
The Forgotten Honda
By wavey83 on 02/11/14 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 SiR (Canada) with 180 000 km on it, a mechanic used to own it, so it was still in great shape, compression was A1 and took no oil. I'm now at 220 000 km and still runs awsome, very reliable little car. Didn't do much repairs on it except regular maintenance. I use it as a daily driver and do at least 180 km a day on average, it gets great mileage and hasn't let me go yet. Above all, it's a blast to drive, handles great, but in a weird kind of way: understeers a lot, but it will still manage to get around the corner very quickly. My only complaint: Needs more power, it tends to feel weak at low RPM's, but thank god, like all Hondas, it loves to rev :)

cvt transmission not worth the savings
By virginia3881 on 02/08/13 09:36 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had 2 civic hybrids. while the gas mileage is good the fact that BOTH of the hybrids transmissions are trash. and to buy a remanufacture one is not an option. No one wants to do the work I have scoured the country for remanufactured cvt transmission for either with no luck and the savings in gas mileage is not worth the trouble I have now. so think before you buy a vehicle with a cvt transmissionl.

Good ol car
By minitruckman on 11/06/12 13:32 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a civc lx with 120,000 miles on the clock in early 2011. Before recently selling it, it had 155,000 miles on her. Never had a mechanical issues. kept up with the oil changes and brakes and a new set of tires and that was it. I drove it in heavy city traffic and got 31-33 mpg consistently. 5 or 6 mpg more than epa says. Overall, a great commuter car. This car is not comfortable for long 2 1/2 hr. drives, but going 400+ miles on less than 3/4 of a tank of fuel with speeds adveraging between 75-90 mph i couldnt complain!

Nice Nice base Honda!!!
By honda_man3 on 09/25/12 04:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Hello, Well I stopped in and peaked at a 2004 honda civic dx sedan I saw on a local website, they had me test drive it suprised me a ton! then they gave me 2500 dollars for my 1996 grand am gt with 62k on it. so bam i got this little economical safe fuel efficient, car that i can customize lightly and cheaply!!!

all the car you need
By commutative on 09/24/12 21:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I managed to score a decent used one of these with 80k miles and drove it cross country last summer; I have been enjoying it ever since. Yes, the interior is rather basic, and it's a little buzzy at highway speeds... but in every other respect, a really solid car and great value. Nimble handling, slick shifter, quite peppy with the manual transmission and VTEC engine, reasonable stereo. Also consistently gets 35-40 mpg. Hard to go wrong!

Best Car Ever!
By wrogers3087 on 09/14/11 07:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with 30,000 miles on it. I did not get a carfax and after I bought it, I found out that it had been in a front ender. I now have over 140,000 miles on it, and it has been through ONE set of brakes, and TWO sets of tires. Nothing else, ever. I have not been very kind to this car. I forget to get oil changes, and I have wrecked it six times. You cannot kill this car if you tried. I am finally buying a new car for better looks, but I am passing this car on to another family member who can easily get another 100,000 miles out of it. BEST CAR EVER!

More comfort than a box of rocks!
By moitz on 01/27/11 13:12 PM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it's been 5 years since I purchased this car used, with 32k on the clock. It now has 145k on it, and I'm expecting to own it another 3 years and 60k. So that right there should tell you something about it. This gen of Civic is, quite simply put, the ideal commuter and city car. The engine is reasonably smooth and peppy. Very low road noise with Goodyear Affinity Triple-treads. Steering is nicely weighted for city driving. Ride quality is sportier than it's American counterparts, and build quailty is far and above the class leader. 5 adults will fit if needed. Sunroof and power gizmos abound. Repairs are infrequent and cheap. 36 highway, 30 city. How can you go wrong?

So... why are people buying hybrids?
By fronteeer on 01/24/11 05:32 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned six cars in my life: two Chryslers, one Chevrolet, two Volkswagens, and this is my second Honda Civic. My first Civic, a 1996, made me a Honda fan for life. I'm actually embarrassed for having bought into the "German engineering" hype, because neither of my VWs was that great of a car, and as for the Chev and Chryslers, well... we all make mistakes. My wife and I have two other vehicles, but because my Civic (past and present) has comfortable front seats, lots of room for the kids, tons of trunk space, a decent stereo, phenomenal fuel economy and bulletproof reliability, we always seem to take it everywhere. The 1.7L VTEC engine is a perfect blend of economy and performance.

Hybrid in disguise
By illili on 01/07/11 08:03 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car because I commute too many miles a week for a 4.0 v6 to cut it. I drove the car back from Chesapeake VA to the top corner of Pennsylvania and it drove wonderfully. The gas mileage is superb; I get mid-upper 40's in my area (This will vary greatly for anyone looking to buy one based on elevation changes on driving route, habits, ethanol in gas, etc.) during the dead of winter. The comfort is just about the same as my truck, however I'm more into functionality than luxury when it comes to vehicles, so if you need clouds to sit on, this isn't your car. The car has little passing power unless you shift down a few gears, but that's not what it's designed for.

Great Car for Normal People
By dude on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great car to drive around in. It is not a luxury car so there will obviously be plastic and road noise. Unlike other cars (ex. - Toyotas), it feels like you are driving a car on a road, not a friggin cloud designed for senior citizens. Mileage is great at 33 mixed, but a 5 speed auto would have been awesome. Reliability (in both hot of Mojave desert and cold of Midwest) is awesome with 80k miles with only fluids, brakes, and tires replaced at my convenience. Those of us past puberty will find the stereo good enough to pass drive time. VTEC gives good power as long as you are willing to go pedal to metal. Plan to keep to 150k