2003 Honda Civic Consumer Review: Economical (but slow and noisy

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Review

Economical (but slow and noisy) Honda
By V-10PowerBaby on

2003 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Let's get one thing straight. I love Hondas. Not because I'm "on the bandwagon", but because I've owned five of them. Accords, Civics, and even a DOHC Del Sol. I have always been treated with the utmost respect by all of Honda's personnel, and the darn cars just refuse to break, no matter how hard I've pushed them (did I mention the 160+hp DOHC VTEC Del Sol?) My work commute suddenly grew to 35+mi. each way last Nov., so I had to trade the V-10 4X4 in on something, shall we say, more practical...and a whole lot more reliable.

Great MPG (if you set the cruise right at the speed limit). I'm getting 42+MPG. This car is SOLID. The 5spd is smooth as silk. Proven Honda reliability and customer service.

Engine is gutless (Civic is 3rd slowest in Car and Drivers top 100 tests, check near the back of the mag.) Way too much road noise. Interior is 99.9% plastic, which breathes and leaves a residue fog on the windows. The engine DOES surge. The braking and roadholding are sub- par.