Used 2003 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

03 LX sedan
By dalaw

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new in Oct 2002. I was looking for the clearance 2002 but liked the 03 a lot more. I get plenty of compliments for the cool-blue LED gauges; even a guard at a security check point gave compliments. I get about 32 mpg average in mixed driving but highway mileage easily gets close to 40 mpg if you drive around the speed limit. Low-speed ride can get harsh and the stock suspension is tuned all wrong. The front suspension is soft but the rear is stiff and bouncy, especially going over speed bumps. I am going to have to change out the shocks ASAP. Highway ride is stable and the car feels solid at speeds, however. Oil filter is located in the worst place, ever.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, LED guages, big trunk, handling, improved seat fabric and headrest for the rear for 03, smooth engine idle, reliability, quiet hvac operation.

Suggested Improvements

fix that suspension damping, slightly more power would be good (addressed for the 06 model), slightly bigger back seat, carpet under the trunk lid

Love it!
By Kat

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my very first car as I am a new driver. I've been driving it for a month now and I love everything about it except for the tires. The EX model is equipped with cheap firestone tires that don't do well in snow. I recomend it to other young drivers especially because it's easy to drive, comfortable, great gas mileage, and quiet.

Favorite Features

Standard sunroof with EX, trunk access from behind back seats, and sound system

Suggested Improvements

Better tires

Problems Honda Civic Transmissions
By b2cmu

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 2003 Honda Civic LX was a great car until 60,000 miles. It began to shake as if riding on rumple strip before toll booth. I took it into dealer, who said could find nothing. I took it in a second time when they heard problem and changed transmission fluid. I have now been told there is a honda advisory about transmission problems on all Civics which is coming to light and of great concern as they have no fix. I finally got dealer to admit to problem, still in the shop

Favorite Features

Zippy, low maintenance until now

Suggested Improvements

Bette Design, better gas mileage

Excellent
By LUV2ACCEL8

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car, this was my first Civic much improved design since the '99 model. Roomy interior and trunk. Never had any mechanical or elctrical problems. Gas mileage although listed as 30/38, in reality if you drive in the city do not expect 25-28 even with slow takeoff from red light, although its hard to judge because I always have AC on, which drains gas a lot. Interior materials are pretty good for its price, however would strongly recommend getting the after-market leather package.

Favorite Features

Excellent overall desgn, extremely reliable. Great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower. It's kind of slow when merging with a highway RPMs often go into 7-8. Also many of the controls are not illuminated at night (i.e. side mirror controls).

Great buy
By DjY887

2003 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased mine in Aug 2004 with only 3400 miles on it. Excellent choice for my 40 mile highway commute. I'm seeing a steady 38 mpg. Very happy to find a car w/o AC or electric windows..always a costly maintenance issue. Excellent build quality inside and out. Fun to drive. I gave up the utility of a Ford Ranger for the economy and reliability..absolutley no regrets. I would like to see the sedan get the HX package

Favorite Features

Simplicity, economy, and typical Honda reliability

Suggested Improvements

Put a HX package in the sedan