Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I love my hybrid!
By mjoann

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

We put over 35,000 miles a year on this car, and are absolutely delighted with our gas mileage and fuel savings. We love the color, a pearlized blue that only comes on the hybrids, and we love the cute style. Most of all, we love helping the environment with a fuel responsible vehicle.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage! Also, the gauge that shows our current and overall MPG is nice.

Suggested Improvements

The only drawback, is the slightly limited carrying capacity. If you wanted to take four adults and full camping gear as well as two weeks worth of luggage, you'd go over the weight limit.

Honda Civic Hybrid '03
By JohnC.

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

My wife and I really like this car,with 50000 miles and still going. I took a 300 mile trip, not on the interstate highway and got 56.3 miles per gallon driving a couple of miles over the posted speed. Driving 75 MPH on the interstate drops the MPG to around 42MPG. I also get around 50MPG around town.

Favorite Features

Continuously Variable Transmission

Suggested Improvements

Better Cupholders

I love this car
By Patti

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Over the past 3 years, we've never had any problems with this car. Haven't had any repairs done, just the regular maintenance. When I drive the car, it consistently gets 45-52 mpg (depending on whether its highway or city; summer or winter and whether the bike rack is on the roof); my husband gets a little lower--probably 42-51. Driving styles will definitely impact the mileage. As a short person, I love that I can see out of the car and the blind spots are minimal. Only having to get gas once every 4-6 weeks is a major plus; and we've driven the car from Chicago to Syracuse, NY on more than one occasion (a 12 hour drive), using just one tank of gas.

Favorite Features

Fantastic gas mileage. Ability to see out of the car / lack of blind spots. Ease with which we can install car seats and get my daughter in and out of the car. It looks like a "normal" car. I like being able to watch when the battery is assisting the gas as well as the instantaneous gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A folding rear seat would be great--but with the location of the battery, I don't know if that's possible. Daytime running lights would also be a plus (we just turn on the headlights, though). Back seats, in particular, are a bit stiff (doesn't seem to be a lot of padding).

Better-than-EPA-mileage
By Paula Kelly

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

My civic replaced my 13-year-old 1989 Mazda. Six months after I got this car, my mom became ill and spent two years in a nursing facility 65 miles from home. For 104 weeks, I made the round trip at least four times a week. In the winter, with four snows, I averaged 46-50 mpg. With regular tires, 50 mpg was the minimum; I often got 54- 57 mpg. My round trip between Albany (NY) and Saugerties (NY) took about TWO GALLONS of gas. I would get slightly better mileage when I didn't use cruise control. I had to rally search for my standard-and I love it. The HVAC could be better. Suburban driving less than 20 miles a day gets 38-43 mpg. The car needs better colors.

Favorite Features

Great clutch; shifts easily. The seats are comfortable and the mirrors are good. It's very reliable. It has decent acceleration - I've gotten two speeding tickets. The mileage is SUPERB!!!

Suggested Improvements

The color choices are too limited; I could have tan or tan (no matter what it's called, it's tan). The heat and the air are good but the defrosters, not so much. How about a sun or a moon roof? Maybe a bigger glove box? A power socket you can use at the same time you use both cup holders?

Object of my affection
By Lucius Squier

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I have made 7 trips Sacramento to San Diego at speeds of 65-75 over the coastal mountains each time and still was able to maintain a 40-42 mpg average. Each time over the mountain, I did not have to drop my speed to less than 55 mph with moderate passengers/weight.I have taken car for maintenance visits as specified with no problems or failures. The costs for each visit was not unusual. I am highly satisfied with the vehicle and will replace it with another as soon as I can affords same. I have begun saving to replace the battery in case I choose to keep the car.

Favorite Features

Economy and simplicity to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Anticipated battery life