Used 2003 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 180 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Lease turn in
By Gregg

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Almost immediately upon delivery, I noticed I would get shocked when I would put the key in the door or touch the car. It was serviced under warranty twice; the shocks continued for the duration of my four year lease. I experienced no mechanical problems. But I did have to replace the original tires at 17,200 miles for wear. This was unexpected and costly! I drive less than 10,000 miles annually. My Civic was a comfortable drive even on long trips. It was roomy and had plenty of cargo space. It could have done better on gas in city driving. My only criticism, other than the tires, was that body was easily dented by shopping carts and I cracked the rear bumper on an snow bank.

roominess, dash board display colors, Galapagos green color.

Reinforcement of bumper and body to prevent dents and minimal impact cracks on bumper. Better tires for longer wear- -see text comment. More efficient I-4 engine--gas mileage and zip to merge with highway traffic.

so far so good
By lynne

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

bought brand new, have had only minor issues. check engine light came on for no reason and would not go off, fuel filler door cable broke (2 days in the shop, covered by warranty), most recently (around 30-35K) it started making loud clunking noises when switching gears (auto transmission). had transmission fluid changed, seemed to help a little, but not by a lot. still takes a bit to get into gear and makes a noise, which makes me want to get rid of it before something happens. dealership says there is "nothing wrong"...? also, have had 4 flats in as many years. overall, recommended, but be ready for trans probs. also, body seems very easily dented and scratched, this has cost $$$$$$$

blue lights on dash, fuel economy, safety

ease of body damage (snow on hood for 1 day caused deep dents and massive scratches), cloth seats and carpets seem easily stained, transmission concerns

Disappointed
By cardriver

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car while commuting to college and work daily. MPG and cost were the determining factors in purchase. The engine, apart from VERY loud revs, is just fine. It has no problem getting to 80-90 MPH and going steady. My major and only real issue with the car is the interior. For short trips (i.e. test drive) the interior is just fine. Get past 20 minutes in the car and you're ready to kill yourself. The seats are rock hard and HURT the back over time. The cup holder is awkwardly positioned behind the shifter, the radio is too far to reach while sitting back and the car lacks an armrest all together. Claims of high MPG are lies; rarely over 25 MPG on street w/ highway

Spunky tight turns, nimble engine. Haven't had any mechanical issues. Change the oil, rotate the tires and the car is fine for years.

The interior needs to be redesigned. Wider and SOFTER seats are a must. Wider tires also need to be added. In wet conditions, the tires lose all credibility and slip. Wider tires would improve that greatly.

Excellent College Car
By huds1086

2003 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Civic is fun to drive and has consistently achieved 30+ mpg. It has been extremely reliable; I've performed only routine maintenance. Two things deter from the cars overall greatness. The rear suspension bounces more than I think it should and there is a lot of road noise on the highway. The Civic's faults however, are few and I've never regretted the decision to buy a Honda.

The blue gauges are classy, and my moonroof is almost always open. I love it's appearance, but Honda really should have put alloys on the EX sedan before 2004.

My previous complaints have all been adressed in the 2006 model!

Love It!!!
By Amber

2003 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

i love my Honda its great on gas and its nice for long trips.

Gauges

How small the body of the car is.