Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

The best gas saver
By Pete Clapper

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Plenty of pickup. Gas mileage averages about 45 mpg. Keeps up with all the highway traffic. Looks like a regular car, not pudgy like Toyota Prius. I have beat Prius models in high country climbs.

Gas engine stops at red lights but kicks in to provide outstanding starts. Out-performs most regular autos at high altitudes because electric engine needs no air. This is most amazing feature.

Don't mess with it. Don't try to copy Prius looks. Provide a bigger battery for even more power and gas savings.

Honda Civic Hybrid
By Richard

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Exceeded my expectations in every respect. Overall mileage about 50. Easy to get 55 MPG on highway commute at 62-65 MPH. Better ride and acceleration than Insight, but Insight has "head turning styling" and better MPG. As reliable as any Honda or Toyota. I like Honda's use of the Hybrid Technology better than Toyota's.

Hybrid Technology and Great MPG.

Reduce weight by using more Aluminum in body. Add solar panels to roof, top of hood and trunk. Increase battery capacity.

Honda-happy
By B. Krause

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Overall, this has been the best car experience I've had in over 50 years of driving. Handling, comfort, operating costs, mileage, and trunk capacity, all play in this product's favor.

Mileage, comfort.

Needs to be more quiet on the road. It's way too noisy for the long hauls. Needs a better sound delivery system.

Transmission failure at 44,000 miles
By Dorado

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought the car with expectations of significant gas savings and because I was pleased with former Honda cars. Gas mileage was so-so given it is a hybrid (long distance 50 mpg - mix of distant and normal town milage 41 mpg) - so not as great as Prius. Real problem was that transmission died at 44,000 miles while I was on a heavy traffic road. No warning! No power and luckily I was able to coast to a parking lot. Reconditioned transmission, towing etc. cost $3,085. Talked to Honda Care and only concession was cost of transmission at "warranty" cost. Not happy camper and no longer Honda satisfied customer.

Nice to handle on road around town.

Quality control on guts of engine; the transmission.

Honda Civic Hybrid Transmission Failure
By Dorado

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car second hand from a buick dealer and car checked out as being clean. I spent a premium price for a hybrid versus a Civic of comparable age. At 44,000 miles the trnsmission failed and I face a $3,500 bill for a refurbished transmission since I was told they do not make new transmissions for this car. Question is whether the original transmission was deficient to begin with. Fuel economy just OK at 42 mpg which includes hyway and local driving in last 4,000 miles. I know it was not an economic decission to buy a hybrid but to add the cost of a new transmission at only 44,000 miles really makes me wonder if I will ever buy a hybrid again.

Decent mileage. Easy to handle.

Transmission quality.