Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 586 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Decent but not great
By McSteve

2003 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle has been a pretty good day to day driver but the attention to detail is been lacking. Fuel economy is great and 7 years later feels tight and drives like new - but it is not without its issues. After two weeks of ownership, the interior fabric fell off the doors and need to be reglued. Stabilizer links failed at 80,000 km. Air conditioner failed at 90,000 km (55,000 miles). Exhaust manifold was cracked at 100,000 km (63,000 miles).

Fuel economy, has aged well and vehicle remains tight. Made in Canada.

Better exhaust manifold. Fix chronic A/C problems. Seats are horrible after 2 hours of driving. I also had a '97 Civic Si - same problem - get better seats!

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By jmharrell

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ditched the car as soon as I found someone to take it. Transmission went at 30,000 miles, and started to go again at 60,000. Honda was only willing to help until 75,000 and then I would be responsible for each $4,000 transmission replacement. Only got 37 mpg because it didn't have the power to maintain higher freeway speeds in rural areas above 75 mph whereas my now regular civic gets 40-50 at those speeds. Avoid at all costs!

Driving it off a cliff or giving it to your local bomb squad for testing

93,000 miles and counting
By UncleTurbo

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Civic new with the intention of keeping it until either it goes or I go whichever comes first. I was just short of 55 at the time and in very good health so I wanted a car with staying power, that was sporty, fun, and economical. So far, perfect choice. The Civic delivers super gas mpg, I get over 40 mpg on expressway trips and always over 30 mpg, and generally average 35 mpg. No repair issues; one strut replaced under warranty ages ago, front brakes at 75K miles, and otherwise regular maint. Handles great, VTec motors hits with more power above 3,500 rpm, a budget sports car. It can take 4 people anywhere in comfort with their luggage. Just a practical and enjoyable car.

It has a big trunk for a small car, seats are comfy. Shifter has good positive feel with tight sporty throw to next gear. Good paint that still shines, easy to clean interior, rear folding seats come in handy. Good room for rear seat passengers. Bullet proof reliability. Very few repairs.

Better sound deadening from road noise, make sure to select tires that are "quiet". Original tires were lousy and lasted only 23K miles. Michelin replacements just now worn out after 70K miles. A six speed trans with another higher overdrive gear for better highway mpg and lower rpm at 70 mph.

It has survived me so far with 200k+
By C Read

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed driving the car, mileage is great, especially since I drive a lot of miles, but I have had my problems with the car: alternator went at 90k, the trans had a bearing go at 135k (replacement required), paint started peeling at year 4, ECCM (computer) went at 197k, the fabric on the doors started coming off (glue degraded). The engine is still. Though this car hasn't been as worry free as hoped, but with the high mileage accumulated as quick as it was, I would say it has handled as well could be expected with any car, I'll compare my next car when I get one, until then.

better than expected mileage. comfortable for me.

shift linkage in the transmission. lower road noise.

No complaints here
By JF

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used in 11/2008 with 42k miles. In the first year I put 26k commuting to work 60 miles round trip and a couple of trips to the beach. This car has taken a beating the way I drive it and it has not let me down once. Needless to say, its dependable...that's why I bought it in the first place. For a small, 4cyl sedan, I couldn't be happier. No clicking, rattling or odd noises/smells at any time. All parts/side moldings still holding strong. Transmission always shifts smoothly. The abrupt downshift when braking is actually the"automatic brake assist" a good safety feature but can be annoying at times. Overall...I love my Civic.

Safety: front and side airbags, ABS brakes, auto-brake assist. Always reliable, gas mileage, cheap to own/operate. Trunk space. Takes a beating and keeps on going.

Seating comfort not too bad but not the greatest either.