Used 2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

03 civic si
By combustion

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

great style and proud to have a traditional si

Favorite Features

stick shift very easy to get used to

Suggested Improvements

More power and lower it , Oh yes bring back the real tradtional vtec

Buy it
By mrmas

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Outstanding car. Plenty of power, great stiff ride, German feel, good fuel econ. about 27mpg avg. I have had this car since it was brand new, and I will drive it until the wheels fall off. Of the cars in this class, this is the best one. Hatch is handy. Deceptively roomy. Great seats and steering wheel. Brakes are better than average for Honda.

Favorite Features

Handles well. Smoooooooooth engine. Low end grunt is much better than average. Shifting is smooth, unless the transmission has been abused. Neat shifter. Seats are great.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone always wants more power, Needs a bit more rubber on the road, aggressive camber eats tires, my drivers side door seal leaks a bit, floor mats are cheap and wear through, armrest would be nice

fun fun fun fun
By oldcargotstolen

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, everything is in its right place, sporty but streetable, great handling, decent power, great suede seats (recaro) :) , everything comes standard---------> Awsome car!

Favorite Features

seats, stearing wheel, DOHC iVTEC motor, shifter location, secret compartment under cup holders, beautiful interior, larger diameter coils in the springs (suspension)

Suggested Improvements

Higher compression ratio, less restrictive fuel injectors, higher fuel cut-off

Long live the si
By si lover

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great! I've driven it for a few years now and I'm ready to buy a new one. The handling is great on cornering with the right tires. Acceleration isn't amazing, but hey it's a 4 banger. The only complaint is the cost to repair. Nobody has parts and most people don't even know what kind of car it is. If you're a young kid and you want something with low maintenance and fun to drive this is it. Or if you live in a city it's so easy to park. Great little car! Owning this car has made my wife and I Honda enthusiasts.

Favorite Features

The seats, the hatchback, Steering wheel, sunroof, tone of the exhaust, handling, cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration, six-speed please, More aggressive body style, a little better handling, release the v-tech a bit sooner in RPMs.

Love my EP3
By tomjaaahallo

2003 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Si in may 2012 with 140k and now it has 154k. This was the first car I've bought with my own money, and I am extremely satisfied. The 2.0L 4 has just enough hp to have fun but still is capable over over 30 mpg highway. The shifter is very easy to use and the handling is very responsive. Most of all, this car is extremely reliable. I have only needed brakes put on the car after purchasing, other than that no problems have surfaced. The best way to sum up this car is deceptively quick, deceptively room y (especially the rear seat), and deceptively reliable. I will definitely look at another Si when the time to get a new car comes, but for now I am extremely happy with my '03!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is unique, not many are seen around. Engine is very smooth and responsive above 3,000 rpm. Shifter on the dash makes for quick gear changes. Handling is not razor sharp but still very agile. Gas mileage is superb for a sport compact.

Suggested Improvements

A 6th gear in the transmission would've been a nice touch, since 65mph on the highway has the engine at 3,500 rpm. Also, a higher redline (like on a EP3 Type-R) with a different VTEC set-up would make the car more aggressive. This particular Civic engages iVTEC at only 2,200 RPM so there is no typical VTEC "shove" at 5 or 6k, but the engine's torque makes up for it.